It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Rig Build 2024 - please offer insight 
Minor Diety

Post Rig Build 2024 - please offer insight
Hello fellow nerdians!

I am once again humbly at the request of temporary use of your superbrains.

My cpu in my current PC is dying. Has been for a while, it's now getting dangerously hot - I've done the thermal paste, checked the cooler for hot cold flow, reformatted my PC to make sure no rogue programs were running etc - no good. I've had this thing for 10+ years so it's done really, really well. I've bought a replacement CPU to hold me over in the mean time.

However, I think it's time to bite the bullet and get my self together and build a new rig.

I've spent an hour or two researching and come up with two build (basically depending on how much money I can get together, ask for early birthday and Christmas presents, sell a liver etc.) and I was hoping to get a few of you to cast your eyes over the builds to see if I've fucked up, fallen for any false economy, can save a wad of cash by downgrading slightly, or get a big performance boost by upgrading for not much more cash etc.

I honestly can't thank you enough for any help - it's been a long, LONG time since I've even dabbled in PC building, so most of my knowledge is basically pre-historic.

The following builds are geared towards (hopefully) gaming with a side of video editing. I current render on a 10+ year machine, so the processing time for rendering doesn't matter to me.
Please can you take a look over the following two potential builds and
- Recommend where I can get more bang for not much more money
- Recommend where I can save a chunk of cash and not loose too much performance
- Recommend Cases that have at least 4 front facing USB (If not more, ideally at least 2 3.0 slots) and have front audio connections
- Check the PSU has enough Power (And is good enough quality, I went for at least gold on both)
- Help me figure out if there are any clearance issues - might need to decide on a case for this
- Spot any other flaws/obvious goofs

SIDE NOTES:
I'm not married to any particular case design
I'm not married to the cooler
I don't care about RGB or not
GPU brand - I prefer nvidia first party but sometimes the cost isn't worth it, you can't get them OR the cost isn't on PC part picker, so I've chosen the closest thing
CPU note - I know the Ryzen 7 tends to be favoured for gaming, but will the extra cores in the Ryzen 9 future proof it?

BUILD ONE:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£349.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360L Core ARGB Liquid CPU Cooler (£86.31 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650E AORUS MASTER ATX AM5 Motherboard (£417.69 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (£112.12 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£152.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card (£1049.99 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£145.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Total: £2313.10

BUILD 2:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 16-Core Processor (£487.06 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360L Core ARGB Liquid CPU Cooler (£84.98 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock X670E Taichi EATX AM5 Motherboard (£461.69 @ NeoComputers)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6200 CL36 Memory (£151.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£152.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card (£1899.99 @ AWD-IT)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£145.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Total: £3382.71

Again, please accept both my apologies and thanks - for my lack of up to date knowledge and your amazing help.

- Mole

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Post Re: Rig Build 2024 - please offer insight
    * What's with the apologizing, makes it look like you have some hidden agenda.
    * Both of your builds are too expensive for my liking. At that price you better have a goal for such expensive builds.
    * There is no future proofing unless you intentionally buy the low end pieces now with the goal of getting the high-ends when there is a new socket/generation launch.
    * If you buy the 7800x3d there is no point at all later upgrading to 9 series, the gain is meaningless.
    * We're currently in the woke era of gaming so most games are just shit. And the ones that are worth playing run great on half your budget.

To save money:
1. Much cheaper mobo.
2. Only 16gb RAM, don't really need more. Buy more when you need more.
3. Much cheaper GPU. I played Cyberpunk on a vega64 and it looked great.
4. Can probably save 20 by going for a good air cooler for the CPU. I had an AIO cooler and it died real quick.

In the end you should set yourself a goal you want to hit performance wise. Ie you want red dead redemption 70fps@1440p on ultra settings or something and go from there.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]