It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Euro 2012 
Minor Diety

Post Euro 2012
So it's almost Friday, and I'm getting ready for a great 2-3 weeks of tournament football. As usual in the last 10 years or so Belgium failed to qualify, but this time it was actually very disappointing since we have a great team that wouldn't be misplaced at this tournament. :evil: But they fucked it up again.

Ahem. either way, I see two big favorites: Spain and Germany. The latter a little bit more since Spain is missing Villa, and I think it may sink a little into the same problem as Barcelona this season (which is largely the Spanish midfield anyway), where they have constant possession but sometimes (like vs Chelsea) miss that little cutting edge goalscoring ability that Villa brings. Germany was mighty impressive in the group stage, scoring 30/30 and never even looking bothered. And as we all know they're a tournament team.

Below that there's Holland who, as much as I hate the Dutch national football team and all their fans, have a rock solid offensive compartment with Affelay left, Van Persie centre, Robben right and Sneijder behind them. They are a very mediocre team in defense though, and tend to fail in tournaments. Not to mention their penalty shootout trauma - they have only ever won a penalty shootout at a tournament once in their entire history (2004). Lost everything else. With Robben recently missing important penalties against Dortmund and Chelsea, one could wonder if things are about to get better anytime soon.

Not entirely sure what to think of France and Italy. France has been playing impressively solid lately and has an attractive offensive department with Ribéry, Benzema and Nasri. Defense seems solid too, with a good keeper (always important at a tournament). I think they may surprise a lot of people in the shade of the 'favorites'. Italy has been rebuilding a good team following the disaster at the World Cup in South Africa, but it's probably too early to reap the rewards. The gambling scandal dogging them won't do them much good either, but then they've often performed well in similar situations in the past. Who knows.

England...it's an entirely average team featuring a few players that are already over the hill (Terry and Gerrard) and a few young players who barely played a third of the season's games in their respective PL teams. A very unimpressive team, but if they play like Chelsea in the CL who knows?

I'll gloss over the rest of the teams by saying that my 'further' outsiders are Denmark, who I believe have an underrated team, and Ireland who seem to be so incredibly confident under that old fox Trappatoni's coaching that they may very well go on to win their group - and who knows what happens then? Denmark of course has the problem of sitting in the 'group of death' with Holland, Germany and Portugal but should be comfortable with the thought that for them any result they can get is a good result - while all three others are expecting nothing less than a win. The pressure's off. (besides, Portugal is a rather mediocre team sans Ronaldo, who can't do everything by himself) Don't underestimate Russia either, but I don't seem them going much further than the semis regardless.

Putting money down on Germany (4/1 to win), France (2.5/1 to reach semis) and two smaller sidebets on Denmark and Ireland to win (1/100 and 1/120 respectively). 8-)

- Coach

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:32 pm
Minor Diety

Post Re: Euro 2012
my jadedness has passed to football over the years more and more. Im perfectly satisfied with italy having won the wc in my lifetime so im a bit 'meh' now, especially with the characterless enterprise that is club football.

As for the euros, of course id like italy to win, but more importantly i want england to get demolished. I hate them so much. Antiquated approach both mentally and tactically. They epitomise everything i hate about football. Long balls, bad technique, impatience, undisciplined defence, overrated players, boring wing and cross play. Im already cringing at the string of english commentators that i will be hearing making incorrect comments about.... Everything.

Andy townsend and mark lawrenson for example. If youre saying 'who?' thats exactly my point.

I dont want germany to win. Simply because i hate philip lahm and muller, not for how they play (although someone please point out to lahm that he has a left foot) but how they look. Their faces infuriate me. I dont know why, but thats the truth.

Spain i also dislike. Mainly because torres is shit and they won the last wc.

Holland i dislike because they dont ever seem committed. That, and i also hate robben with a passion.

I dont know, i would like france to win besides italy. I hope theyvw gotten theyre shit together this time round and muster some decent team spirit.

Or an underdog. Greece for laughs? Are they even in it? I dont care, so long as england get sent home butthurt.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:57 pm
Stranger

I am way out of touch with football, so i will cheer for the small-timers.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:29 am
Minor Diety

Good game (ITA vs ESP). Very good patient technical football. Balotelli is a retard and should stay on the bench until he matures into a human being. He gave nothing to the game, only mistakes and conceded possession. When he missed that chance... i was fuming.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:13 pm
Minor Diety

Haha yeah what the hell was that. What was he thinking? Jogging towards Casillas like that...WTF.

Good game from Italy, Spain with more possession but not many real chances. Could have gone either way really.

I agree that Balotelli should start on the bench as a super sub, especialyl if he keeps choking like that.

- Coach

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:36 pm
Minor Diety

I don't know a fat lot about footy, only usually watch the World Cup but watched both England matches so far. Vs France was pretty much as I expected (i.e. shit) but was surprisingly a good match against Sweden. Sure we'll screw up big time tomorrow though, the team is rubbish and we seem to have forgotten it's a team game for the last x many years anyway.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

FUCK YOU ENGLAND

YOU RETARDED FOOTBALLING COUNTRY

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:30 am
Minor Diety

I've been replying to all work-related emails with this image alone today:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:55 am
Minor Diety

While it's pretty much the outcome I expected I am quite surprised we held out to penalties. With luck mostly but hey, that's what gets us through most of our matches :roll: Italy deserved the win without a doubt but it was certainly a tense match.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Looks like Derf may be on his way to celebrate another big tournament win for Italy during his lifetime. Great game against the jerries, well-deserved win. I was a bit miffed when the referee finished the game before Germany could do its last attack (free kick, with Neuer in the box) because it was only 20 seconds after the indicated overtime and the penalty took much longer than that, but only because I wanted more spectacle. :P Italy definitely deserved it more than Germany.

I think they may very well go on to beat Spain now. Spain hasn't been looking very good all tournament, and Italy is the team with the 'boost'. For Spain, shit can only go wrong really!

- Coach

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:27 pm
Minor Diety

Italy vs. Germany was really fun to watch. Germany, just aren't as good as Italy overall, especially individually from a technical point of view.

Italy progressing isn't a massive surprise to me. It's difficult to predict who will go far in tournaments, but Italy have shown consistent ability in attacking, maintaining control of the game, and also discipline in defense. They may very well beat Spain. I am going to the pub with a Spanish couple to watch it. :D Should be interesting.

Other than that, stupidity still ensues from English people every time they comment about football. Maybe they should just shut the fuck up and stick to cricket?:

English guy: "Didn't watch the game but I seriously can't work out how Italy managed to beat Germany. That is going to be one boring-arse final."
Me: "Italy won because Germany are mediocre. People think Germany are good because they have a history of dicking England, which are less than mediocre. Kind of like how people think the premiership is the best league in the world."
English guy: "Germany looked the best side in the competition so far, that's why I expected them to win."
Me: "Germany were in the qualifying group with Belgium, Turkey, Austria, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan. Then in the group stage with Netherlands (Under-achievers FC), Portugal (1-man-team FC) and Denmark."

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:43 am
Minor Diety

A well-deserved final win for Spain, who looked a lot better than during the rest of the tournament. Italy didn't seem capable of developing its usual game, with Balotelli losing a lot of balls, Pirlo having to go way to deep to collect the ball and Cassano invisible. Of course, they weren't helped by the extreme bad luck with injuries and substitutions. Before Motta fell out and they were reduced to 10 men, it looked like they might score the 2-1 for a while. After that though, it was over, and Spain cruised to the European title.

Was a good tournament overall, with attractive football. I don't regret watching most of the games. :)

- Coach

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:53 am
Minor Diety

Yep, good game and good tournament.

Spain had a far more pro-active and offensive approach which meant that initiative remained with them, as opposed Italy. Sitting back with a dominated midfield means goals will leak and that's what happened. But that's cool. Italy's midfield couldn't compete with Spains, and when Italy dropped to 10 men, there was no chance in coming back.

Ah well, I'm happy Italy went far and beat England.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:49 am
Minor Diety

This is pretty cool: Casillas asking the refs to end the game without playing needless overtime when it's 4-0 already (and Italy is a man down) out of respect for the opposition.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/7/3 ... r-casillas

- Coach

Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]