It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days 
Minor Diety

Post Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
As you may have read me and Derf both picked it up for cheaps to play the campaign in co-op, as unlike its predecessor it does feature online co-op. We played a few levels already and we're having fun, although it's more the kind of 'WTF IS THIS' fun than anything related to actual sheer gameplay joy. :P

I'm playing as Lynch, the schizophrenic bald guy with the beard who has some Asian girlfriend at home. Derf is Kane, the dour professional who has just arrived in Shanghai to do a 'quick n'easy' job with Lynch for cashes.

That's the setup. After that, neither of us have any idea wtf is happening. :lol: I mean, the game just tries SO hard to show how gritty and dark and whatever it wants to be, but it's basically just a cliché on legs. Not that it matters too much - it's still fun with two peeps and going on a rampage in the (I must say) well-presented Shanghai is fun in itself.

But some highlights:

- EVERY level starts with Kane & Lynch doing something 'normal' which then devolves into a massive shitstorm. In the first 2 minutes we visit some CHinese guy who we wanted to talk to, or something, and 15 minutes later we're killing 50 of his friends, shoot his girl and he kills himself. Wow. Kane/Derf hadn't even brought his suitcase to the hotel! Then some bald ugly guy picks us up in his car and we're rammed by 150 mobsters on the highway, which we all kill. Afterwards we eat noodles in a restaurant and a SWAT team barges in and starts shooting the place to shit. LOL. Standard reaction to almost everything in K&L: WTFFFFFF

- We only encountered two 'real' co-op actions in the game: you need to lift garage gates with 2 people and give each other a lift to get over walls. All the rest is basically Serious Sam with more cover and less forgiving. :P

- Me and Derf developed a 'no witnesses' policy. :roll: We shoot everyone we meet. Leads to hilarious moments like when we walked through that sweatshop and shot 25 innocent worker women in the face and no one mentioned it or none of the other workers ran away. they just kept sitting there. Also: Lynch saying 'we can't act suspicious, we're going into the streets so stay cool' and us then shooting the first guy we meet on the street. And the best was when we met a cop who went "Please don't shoot, I don't want to d..." with Derf shooting him in the face before he could finish his sentence. Yeah...we're going to hell.

-10 minutes into the game, we took 15 minutes figuring out how to jump over a 1-foot wall to continue a 'mad chase' of some guy. I guess he stopped for noodles as we figured out how to do it or something, cause we didn't lose him. In the end I had to find the solution on a youtube walkthrough vid...you need to take cover behind a wall (ie crouch), then press cover again and you jump over. Worst intuitive system evah. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but only cause it's co-op and because it feels like playing a ridiculously OTT action b-movie. In singleplayer, I don't think anyone would want to touch it with a 10-foot pole. :P

- Coach

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:21 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
omg - last night's session was beyond hilarity :D

I never though i'd have this much fun running after Rinox's oiled, bloody, cut up naked body :)

Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:58 am
Felix Rex

Are we talking IRL or in game? :shock:

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, we'll let you guess. :twisted:

But eyah, it was so funny. At one point Derf had a gun and I didn't, so I decided to draw fire from the policemen in the street by circling a parked cab butt naked. IT ACTUALLY WORKED, too. :lol:

We also had a lot of fun laughing at the game's logic. One cool moment was when we met our 'friend' who then decided he needed to kill us (for some reason) and we killed all his guys and him. I mean, he gave us a 2-minute lecture and gave us time to dive behind cover before his guys started shooting us. lol? Worst criminals ever.

Or how about "TRAIN RAILS! Our ticket out of here". Whaa? Your escape vehicle from an entire police force + army is a CARGO TRAIN?!! hahahaha!

K&L2 = comic relief awesomeness

- Coach

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:07 am
Minor Diety

Nothing beats the coop moments. "COOP!" LOL

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:58 am
Minor Diety

Haha yeah! Can you even remember one other moment where we actually did something co-opish, like in Lara Croft? I don't. The level where we split up and each fought at the side of the balconies was pretty nice, but that was only for a minute. God so many missed opportunities. :P

- Coach

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:13 am
Felix Rex

btw, this game sounds like a POS.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Haha, it is. But that's what makes it great :D

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:03 pm
Minor Diety

I agree. :P And it's not HORRIBLE. Just not worth more than a handful of dollars/€/quid, and only if you play it on co-op.

Lara Croft, otoh, I'd even advise people to buy at 15€. That's a really great co-op game. Speaking of which, we need to get some more gaming in Derfmeister. :)

- Coach

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:51 am
Minor Diety

Me and Derf finished the game in co-op last week, after no more than 4 (lol) hours. And we both agreed that, if it weren't for the awesome lulz that were to be had with the insane story, it was probably one of the worst games ever. But god we had fun.

The final level involved two white dudes in suits and with a suitcase and a pistol infiltrating an international airport and hijacking a transatlantic flight. Yes, you read that correctly. It's pure insanity, and we loved it. :D

We'll always look back at the game fondly I'm sure, especially the naked and bloody run through the streets which was undoubtedly the highlight. :)

But yeah, unless you plan on doing an OTT co-op run taking the piss outta everything and can buy it for no monies, don't bother.

- Coach

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]