Mafia 2 
Felix Rex

Post Re: Mafia 2
Did you ever play this fame, Ox?

BTW, DLC-retardation-mania has hit Mafia II

- greaser pack - $2.99 - 2 cars, 2 suits
- renegade pack - $2.99 - 2 cars, 2 suits
- vegas pack - $2.99 - 2 cars, 2 suits
- war hero pack - $2.99 - 2 cars, 2 suits.

ghey. Uber ghey.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, that sounds like utter shit. :/

And yeah...Mafia 2, that's quite a story.

I preordered it in August over play.com, generally a reliable and very cheap mail order company à la Amazon with that difference that it doesn't charge for deliveries (which is where amazon fucks me over since they don't have a Belgian branch and I need to pay international shipping fees). I waited for weeks after release, and nothing. The game had shipped but never arrived.

I checked the website and it said that you needed to wait 21 days after the shipping notice before you could file a complaint (Wtf? I preordered FFS). So after 21 days I file a complaint on the site and I could chose between a refund or a replacement. I choose replacement and they send me an email. The email had a FORM that I had to print out, sign for confirmation that I had not received a copy yet and wanted a new copy, and then send to fucking Ireland. :x

I mean, it's next to nothing in stamps (less than a euro) but jesus fucking christ what a mess to go through just to get what I fucking paid for in the first place. It's not my fault some thieving retard at the postal office felt like playing Mafia 2. :/ In hindsight I should have just asked for my money back, since I'll likely be able to pick up the game for less than what I initially paid soon (in a steam sale or summit). But that'd have involved sending a form to Ireland as well I'm sure. But lesson learned I suppose.

- Coach

Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:23 am
Felix Rex

lol, so you still haven't played that game? Man.

Let me ruin it for you. It's a decent story, but it ends kinda quick, has some plot holes, ends stupidly, and seems a bit unfinished. The end.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

You spoilwhore...you ruined everything by describing that very standard video game plotline! I hate you!

Ok not really.

But no, I haven't played it yet. And yes, it sucks monkey ass. :/ I take it you as a frequent whole-price-on-steam buyer will see this as karma for my habit of scoping out deals. Mayb you're right. :cry:

- Coach

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:26 am
Felix Rex

consider it my need for instant fulfillment finally getting payback. :roll:

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:48 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

So, just as I had given up on ever seeing a Mafia 2 copy.

To: ***************
Your order for Mafia II has been posted.

Please note PLAY.COM will show on your statement.

Please allow 3-5 days delivery.

Please check the following order information:

Order reference: 226404696
Title: Mafia II
Price: EURO .00
Quantity:1

Delivery Cost: FREE
Payment: Credit Card

Wtfffff

- Coach

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:42 am
Felix Rex

so....like 2 months after release and... it's in the mail? again?

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, so, guess what arrived today. :roll:

I'll play it when I'm done with New Vegas, probably. But that may be a while.

- Coach

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:52 am
Felix Rex

at this point I've pretty much forgotten the game. :roll:

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I started playing the game this weekend and I think I've pretty much blown through most of it already (I'm at chapter 13). I've got a bit of a double feeling from it. It's an excellent game so far, the city's absolutely gorgeous (and runs smoothly), the atmosphere is right, the voice acting and dialogues top notch and some of the missions are just fucking brilliant - like the one where you have to bury a body after a drunk night out and have to take Joe and Eddie home while they're singing drunkenly along with the radio. The characters are pretty cool too.

But...it's so incredibly linear. Half of the time it's more like watching a (good) mob movie than playing a game. There's already not much point in exploring the city outside of the missions and it's hollowed out even further by the lack of quicksaving, since anything you want to experiment with will have you drive all the way over there again from home or wherever your last autosave was when you die or get cops behind you. :( I went shopping for some suits and went for a drink once, but that was pretty much it. I never even needed to buy a gun! You get everything else you need during the game. And what's the point of having the lockpicks store on the map if you can do an entire game with one pair of lockpicks (which you pick up early on)? And there isn't that much to see in the city anyway. In Mafia I you could ride city trams and trains, in Mafia 2 the train stations are all just backdrop. I even heard from a friend who finished the game that there's no "free ride" mode after the game ends (like in mafia I). That it just, y'know, ends. That's a big oversight as well.

So, opinion so far: a great game, but pretty much stripped down to barebones. A missed shot, perhaps.

- Coach

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:09 am
Felix Rex

yep, I agree. It could have been so, so much more, and it wouldn't even have taken all that much work. Quick save, free ride, and a bit more to do out in the world. About the only thing you can do now is steal cars and have them crushed for cash.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:32 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Finished the game yesterday, and the last part (I still had like 20% to go, more or less) pretty much was like the rest of the game. Good and highly polished, but just empty when going off the story-track. I'm a bit torn on the ending. On the one hand (story-wise) I thought it was fitting, and powerful. On the other they could have elaborated a LITTLE and it wouldn't have seemed so 'wtfbbq' out of the blue as it did now. It's obviously [trying to] set up things for a sequel or expansion, which is a little meh.

Still, I loved driving to the observatory for the final showdown in the pouring rain at night, with a 50's ballad softly playing on my car radio. It had a certain whistfulness to it. :P Overall my thoughts are the same as above and as what you said: it could have been so, so much more with not even that much effort. And I really hope the engine is used for other projects because it is without any doubt stunning beyond belief (and very smooth-running, too).

Also, the Tommy Angelo cameo (and the end of Mafia I tying in with Mafia II so beautifully, in terms of timelines) was amazing. :twisted: Top notch. Do you know what I mean? I think you finished Mafia I right?

Looking back, Mafia II may not have been worth buying on release (altho I got it at 35 instead of 50 which isn't too bad), but only slightly. Can't say I'm disappointed with my purchase, but it is pretty sad that they failed to do so much more with it!

- Coach

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:28 am
Felix Rex

regarding your spoiler, I have no idea what you're talking about. I never finished 1. I got bored and uninstalled. :roll:

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol. Well, here you go:

In Mafia I you play as Tommy Angelo. As you may remember it's a framed story, told by you (Tommy) in the bar to the police detective. At the end he reveals that he wants out and is willing to testify against the family, in exchange for protection and a new identity. A the very end of Mafia I (first part of the vid) you see an older Tommy, living in a different city with his family and sprinkling his lawn. He's addressed by two mobsters who kill him, giving him regards from Mr Salieri (the mob boss he betrayed decades earlier). The game ends with Tommy narrating over his dead body about how your luck always runs out one day. Very powerful. And in Mafia II, which is set decades after Mafia I in a different city, it turns out you and Joe end up being Tommy's killers. Awesome as shit. Compare the two scenes - apart from the blockiness of the first and the clothes of Joe and Vito, they are almost identical)

- Coach

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:40 am
Felix Rex

hah, that's pretty cool

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next