It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 4:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Interesting Future for PC Gaming? 
Minor Diety

Post Interesting Future for PC Gaming?
RPS wrote:
It’s a matter of time before you’re playing a game of the quality of a triple-A game that we know and love, like a Supreme Commander 2 or a StarCraft II, in a browser experience,” Taylor said. “There’s no reason that won’t happen within five to eight years. That’s one of the reasons PC gaming breaks out in that space. No installation. No grief. No reading the box and wondering if you have a 7000 or 8000 series video card and DirectX what? It just plays. It works. Wait till that happens full on.

We're talking about a time where internet technology will make obsolete the need for us to download in install games. We pay for a license and play them over the net using a client of some kind. The next Steam revolution perhaps?

I think 8 years is a tall order though. I'm not sure if internet technology will get there in time, let alone if one company wields enough influence and resources to develop the client application.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:11 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Interesting Future for PC Gaming?
It actually already exists, even if it hasn't taken commercial flight yet.
There's Onlive

http://www.onlive.com/

and Gaikai

http://www.gaikai.com/

The idea is pretty ingenious, especially if you can really rent a game for 3-5 days for less than 10 bucks/neuro/quid, since most AA games are over so quickly that it really isn't worth it buying them. :P

- Coach

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:22 am
Stranger

I guess its part of the normal evolution to simplify the experience for the end customer. Looking forward to it.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:27 am
Felix Rex

I don't like the idea of losing control of the game. Steam's already stolen my control to some extent. And the on-demand game services have issues with lag and, of course, they require an active internet connection. Even Steam has that issue to some degree. Don't try to log out of steam with no internet connection... you can't get back in again, even in offline mode.

What I'd rather see is the option to do the gaming through a service like onlive, but retain local installs if you desire, and allow transfer of games like a second sale market. Previous experience has proven that allowing resale of items actually increases their worth... people take resale into account when they purchase something, and are thus more likely to spend more on it. You take away that right, you lose that value. I've found myself not very willing to buy games on Steam at full price, partially for this reason. I still find myself willing to pay full price for a box, though.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more options, but don't want to lose my freedoms at the same time.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Hehe, satis, it is time to let go of the "hoarding" mentality. :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:23 am
Felix Rex

haha, maybe that's what it is. :roll: I do actually give away my old games on a regular basis, believe it or not. :roll: I have more games not installed on Steam than I have sitting on CDs/DVDs at home.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]