It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Mafia 2 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Mafia 2
Wait what it's already out in the US? Fucking BS. 8-) Still, hope you enjoy it. And I remember that mission - it IS pretty tough. The first shot is easy, after that shit gets crazy. But it's one of the crucial mission of the game and really well done.

- Coach

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:22 am
Minor Diety

I've been doing some review checking and it seems that the scores/appreciation range pretty widely between really good and pretty bad, a love or hate kind of game. Much like the original Mafia really. I'm curious what I'll think of it when I start playing.

- Coach

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:15 pm
Felix Rex

I don't see how anyone can outright hate the game. The voice acting is excellent... that alone should earn it some favor. I also think the story is (at least so far) pretty damned good. Even with poor gameplay, that should make for decent scores, imo.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It may mostly stem from the fact that a) they reviewed a console version and slapped on the score on all three versions and b) the reviewers has dumb preconceptions about it being some sort of 50-60's GTA IV where you can do and go everywhere (which it isn't).

To give you an idea, Eurogamer gave it a freaking 4/10. :o But to be fair, Eurogamer also gave the original Mafia a 4/10 and it turned out to be a cult classic. Some people just don't have any taste.

- Coach

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:20 am
Felix Rex

40%? Unless the game suddenly crashes consistently, or there's an invasion of purple dinosaurs, I think it'll deserve at a minimum a 75%, and more like around 90-95.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah well, like I said, they're probably expecting a GTA clone when it's really more of a linear experience and thrives on atmosphere and story, not on being able to steal a military helicopter and blow up the golden gate bridge. Or something. :roll:

The fucking post forgot to drop my copy yesterday. :/ So it'll be Monday evening at the earliest that I'll be playing my own copy. Ghey. They shipped it on Tuesday so I was kinda hoping they'd hurry up...

- Coach

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:23 am
Felix Rex

I think I'm getting close to the end. The story is still very engaging, and the voice acting is still very good. The game itself is extremely linear... don't expect any choices, and don't even expect side missions or anything. I think the most you can really do is shoot places up or steal cars. That's not necessarily a problem, but would it really have killed them to add some people with side missions?

Still, great game thus far. I wish you'd hurry up and play it so I can actually talk about it. :roll:

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I completed the game. Let me say that it ends pretty poorly. I don't know if they're foreshadowing Mafia III, or if their writeres quit right at the end. :evil: However, as long as you realize it's a totally linear game, it's a pretty good ride. Great voice acting, good story. I wish they had done some thing to make it less linear, but that's just because I like making my own decisions. Great game, though, in my opinion worthy of an 85%.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Well, I'm stoked to play it and bitch about it to you. :P Should be in the mail today. I hope. :/

- Coach

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:36 am
Minor Diety

Looks like the mail fucking stole my package. I'm gonna get a refund. In the meantime I have a friend who has two copies of Mafia so I'll get it regardless.

fucking BS.

- Coach

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:53 am
Felix Rex

by the time you play this game, I'll have forgotten it. :roll:

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

just in time for my rant about DLCs.... there's a new DLC for Mafia

Quote:
Jimmy's Vendetta will take players into an alternate perspective of the mob through the eyes of Jimmy, a mercenary. Jimmy is the guy the other guys call when they need to finish the job. Jimmy's Vendetta features dozens of intense newly created arcade-style, city-based missions that keep Jimmy driving, shooting and rampaging through Empire Bay. Missions will unlock as they progress, activating a slew of assassination and timed vehicle missions ending in dramatic shootouts and explosive car chases. Players will rack up points for performance, power slides, and skill shots. The scores will be immediately posted to the new leaderboard system, providing extensive re-playability, as players work to rise to the top of the ranks. Get to know Empire Bay – the executioner’s way.

Maybe that's why the main game seemed so empty except for the main missions. They took out all the side stuff so they could sell it separately. :evil: I hate DLC.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that but yes...this very much reeks of the awesome Mafia 1 "Free Ride" mode with its challenges (of which there is no trace in Mafia 2) in a sort of online scoreboard multiplayer mode. Very suspicious. :/

The story part of the DLC looks pretty lame tho. 'Jimmy' is a bald guy wearing sunglasses so fits just about every stereotype of bad ass gangster. I'll pass.

- Coach

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:13 am
Felix Rex

He's a mercenary hitman. :roll: But yea, this is exactly the kind of thing that's soured me on DLC. Well, that and Modern Warfare selling "map packs" for multiplayer for like $10 for 2 maps. :roll: WTF!?

Meanwhile, in TF2 we've gotten how many maps, for free? Plus weapons and all kinds of other neat shit.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

MW2 is in a class of its own when it comes to extorting customers. ;)

I don't care that he's a mob hitman, they still don't need to make him such a walking cardboard stereotype. :( And that's something based on nothing but a screenshot. Almost like HAWKE from DA2's screenshots. :roll:

- Coach

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next