It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 11:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Horror Action Games 
Minor Diety

Post Horror Action Games
As recommended by Ox, Condemned was on sale on D2D, which I bought instantly. It's a horror FPS which is honestly now the only remaining FPS genre I have any appreciation for. Not that i've played many of these titles. In fact, not one. But I like the idea. Action FPS's are mostly linear by design, so for me the only way to enjoy this would be to get totally immersed into a shit scary story, as opposed to some run-of-the-mill action theme, like Half Life or FEAR.

Anyway I played some last night but was totally tired and could only fit in 10 mins. Totally loving it so far. It's kind of like an FBI crime scene paranormal activity type thing. Ultra-limited ammo too. Love it so far. I think i'm only going commit weekends to these games though, because during the week, i can't fully wind down and be immersed.

Also, Ox bought me Cryostatis, which looks more or less like the same concept but spookier. Also its based in some snow ridden place like The Thing (a game that I actually played ages ago - and loved). Thanks Rinox!!! I owe you one. Can't wait for the weekend!

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:26 pm
Minor Diety

Post Re: Horror Action Games
derf wrote:
It's a horror FPS which is honestly now the only remaining FPS genre I have any appreciation for. Not that i've played many of these titles. In fact, not one.

Haha derf, you truly are the master of jade! This one made my morning.

~King of Thieves~

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:16 pm
Minor Diety

Haha, yeah, I was going "whaa?" on that sentence too. But then I realised it was Derf. :roll: No worries @ Cryostatis man...it was a great price for that game.

Condemned is amazing indeed. One of the best horror FP(S) games ever; imho. Just wait until you get to the abandoned mall with mannequins in the half dark. :twisted: And your taser is your best friend, btw. If you're gonna take on all the enemies in hand-to-hand without 'pacifying' them first it's gonna get tough. ;)

I actually promised Derf a list of good scary First Person games a while back, and I'll still get around to it but god knows when.

Like him, I only play scary games when I'm "in the mood", ie when it's dark and quiet around me. Best with headphones or surround sound. 8-) Problem with this heat is that it's hard to 'believe' the game when you're sweating like a pig, the more so in cryostasis.

- Coach

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:17 am
Felix Rex

I think the alien vs predator game (the original) is one of the best horror games of all time, at least if you're playing as a marine. Walking alone in near complete darkness, limited ammo, with your motion sensor... then it picks up movement and you're trying to figure out where the fucker is before it bites your head off. :twisted:

I'm not a huge fan of horror, to be honest, but I really dug the hell out of that game.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Condemned is an amazing game in every aspect. The second one isn't as good - but it continues on with the story.

These aren't FPS, but Alan wake is really good - but an aquired taste - but moreover Dead Space is one of the best games I've played in a long time. It's what Resident Evil 5 should have been, as RE5 was a bit shite to be fair.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Amnesia: The Dark Descent demo out. Get ready to soil yourself. :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09 ... /#comments

- Coach

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:58 am
Minor Diety

Who else played it? I saw J, Derf and Satis all downloaded it.

I thought it was pretty bonecrushingly scary, well I did play with headphones + darkness + alone. :)

The game's out today, and I had it preordered so yay.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... ent-review

8/10 review, not too shabby for a little game like this

- Coach

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:35 am
Minor Diety

I still have to find a quiet night to play it. But damn, i know it's gonna be goooood.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:16 am
Minor Diety

Oh right, forgot i picked up the demo :P

I liked the atmosphere and controlling the objects seemed pretty well thought out. And then i died.

~King of Thieves~

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:27 am
Felix Rex

I played it and completed it. Especially the first level, it's got some great atmosphere. The mechanic in the second part got kinda lame though. I mean, at first it was like...wow... and then I died. But from the death message, I could figure out how not to die, and then I was able to (eventually) make it, though it turned the game into a platformer of sorts. And then it kinda drug on and on as my oil started giving out and my sanity started receding and it became less awesome and more drudgery.

Maybe I'm just being :jade: . Overall it was certainly interesting, and as long as the mechanic from level 2 goes away after a bit, it'd probably be ok.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

RPS posted a "Wot I think"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09 ... k-descent/

Very positive.

And Satis, I kinda like the franticness of that bit. Turning that wheel to open the steel barred door while that...thing was out there. Holy Satan scary crap. :D

Quote from the RPS piece;

Quote:
It’s growling moan still grows louder, and then you hear it slam against the door. Its fists batter at the wood, and you turn around to see splinters flying off, then a hole punched through. Face the wall. Just face the wall.

Whether it comes in to find you, or loses you in the darkness, is up to the moment. But you can’t turn around to find out what it’s doing – see it, and Daniel will react, perhaps make a noise. That’s death. So you stay there, panicking, panting, staring at stones, unsure if it’s even in the room any more.

Just so you know: there is no combat...there's just hiding and running from shit. 8-)

- Coach

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 am
Minor Diety

I played the demo last night, but the conclusion wasn't entirely what I was hoping for.

Firstly, I never found it THAT scary. I find the sanity system a bit forced. I feel that Daniel is a bit of a pussy that's afraid of the dark. I'm personally a bit twisted, so I see general darkness as not such a scary and negative thing.

The puzzles i don't quite appreciate either, which is a sentiment i share with all instances i've encountered. The problem is that I find it hard to tap into the logic of the game. I tend to think in realistic terms, not nerdlogic, so if a door is jammed, my first instinct is to hack it down physically, not start looking for some elaborate pulley system which from an engineering perspective could no way in scientific hell determine the physical circumstances of said object.

I was expecting something more basic. Something more raw. Basically the same thing, but without the sanity mechanics and puzzles. A purely artistic, non-combat, survival, Get from A-to-B horror game.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:23 am
Minor Diety

Well I think he is meant to be pretty damn near to a complete basket case, so that would explain why he is so afraid of the dark. :) But I suppose it's possible you just can't get in that mindset and 'flow' with it.

I agree on the whole "no you're meant to do THIS" mechanic. The Wot I think has a nice example of it when he needs a rope and can't pick up the 'decoration' piles of rope but has to find a specific piece of rope. Pretty counterintuitive. Still...it's an adventure game made by 5 people, I'm not exactly expecting photorealism and 45 ways of solving each puzzle. Besides the demo had some pretty simple and logical puzzles too, like the piece of wood blocking the lever mechanism's rope.

Apart from that it's mostly classic Derf jade though ;)

i'm playing the full game now and it's got me by the throat, it's good stuff.

- Coach

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:35 am
Minor Diety

I just played the demo.

Fucking class.

I don't have any money, so I can't get the full game - but the part with the "thing" in the water, that fucking shit me up. If you make a mistake and you hear it coming closer and closer... man :D

Awesome game.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]