It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Derf's Games Radar 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Derf's Games Radar
omg omg omg, this is so epic.

*spunks neon blue*

To prepare, im going to watch Platoon and Apocalypse Now extended versions back-to-back, 3 times, then take a trip to Bristol and join the royal marines.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:57 am
Minor Diety

Shogun promo trailer. Nothing about the game, but slight concern about the map. I know, it's likely got nothing to do with the campaign map, but seeing a map of Japan divided in a dozen saturated regions disturbs me.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/100900.html

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:10 am
Minor Diety

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/meno ... shots.html

- Coach

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:28 am
Minor Diety

Fallout NV trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fpjdP6D ... r_embedded

Looks totally like a mod for now, so this title has gone down a notch in my books. Not that it was very far up to begin with. Also, the guy in the trailer is playing it on a console.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:25 am
Minor Diety

You can hardly tell anything from that short trailer. For me, the test won't be in the improvements Obsidian can make in the F3 engine, but in how they expand the RPG system and make the story more satisfying. :) Hard to tell that from a trailer.

- Coach

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:25 am
Minor Diety

Added Red Orchestra 2 thanks to Ox.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06 ... talingrad/

Removed Mafia 2. I got horribly confused with the Gangsters series. Mafia is a shit game and has no place on my list. :)

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:42 pm
Minor Diety

gameplay vid for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONG4PKMDfws

- Coach

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:34 am
Minor Diety

Apparently Men of War: Assault Squad won't have a singleplayer campaign, it'll be all co-op and skirmish. :D

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06 ... ult-squad/

- Coach

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:53 am
Minor Diety

Skirmish suits me nicely.

Coop too.

Although my wet dream would be something like the campaign generator mod, but ultra polished.... with supply / roster / inventory management!

Man, i'm yearning for some kind of Company Commander game (yes I even invented a title for it).

As a company commander, take your 250 men through training in preparation for war, Championship manager style (well, ok, not so much). Fight through the war knowing the names of most of your men, assigning nicknames when they earn them. Having to realise that you will lose a number of them as casualties.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:55 pm
Minor Diety

That's actually not a half bad idea. Games like Jagged Alliance already (kind of) work like that, minus the scale and randomly generated stuff of course. But how'd you handle casualties? Would they get replenished with new troops? If you do that you might build a rapport with your 'veterans' but you'd still have to get to know too many new peeps who you won't care about as much etc.

Maybe just limited replenishing of troops (because of war scarcity) so you might end up with a barebone squad of only the toughest of the tough at times of need. Guys you promoted and gave nicknames and shit. :)

It DOES sound like FM actually. But I'm guessing you would want to be able to actually do the battles yourself apart from the spreadsheet management?

- Coach

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:38 am
Minor Diety

Yeah pretty much like you said. I mean your peak company size at training is 250. But in reality during a campaign it could be half of this, or 4 platoons of 40 men, 160 men. As replacements come in, they will be more or less blank pieces of paper to you, perhaps with their own particular stats, but mostly green.

Oh yeah, you'd definitely have to carry out the battles yourself. Probably something like Men of War. With some enhanced tactical situation behavior, ie, if you're currently focused on platoon A, and platoon B suddenly start getting whomped, they pull back, or try to suppress. There's no reason why you couldn't control a couple of full platoons, 80 men. At the end of the mission, you carry over what you end up with, including captured trucks, AT guns, weapons, etc. You then distribute and resupply shit to your men in preparation for the next mission and off you go.

I remember playing MoW very much acknowledging that I would have to lose men to get certain things done.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:40 am
Felix Rex

That sounds fun, though manually directing a full company of men can be complicated. And what kind of company? I assume you mean an infantry company.

If it was popular, you could then release a new game called Battalion commander, where you run a full battalion of x companies. I know in my units a Battalion had around 6 batteries (the air defense equivalent of companies). And then Brigade Commander where you'd control however many battalions. :D That could get interesting because many brigades are mixed-forces... a battalion of air defense, 2 battalions of attack helicopters... :twisted:

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:42 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Anyone else thinking about Cannon Fodder?

Not a good game for me though, anytime someone of my platoon would die i'd probably want to reload. :P

~King of Thieves~

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:52 am
Minor Diety

Satis wrote:
That sounds fun, though manually directing a full company of men can be complicated. And what kind of company? I assume you mean an infantry company.

If it was popular, you could then release a new game called Battalion commander, where you run a full battalion of x companies. I know in my units a Battalion had around 6 batteries (the air defense equivalent of companies). And then Brigade Commander where you'd control however many battalions. :D That could get interesting because many brigades are mixed-forces... a battalion of air defense, 2 battalions of attack helicopters... :twisted:

So are you saying that players (battalion leaders) would be commanding companies (led by Derf or me) and so forth? So if they send your company on a suicide mission you could go "THESE ARE MY MEN COMMANDER!! I'M NOT SENDING THEM TO THEIR DEATH!!!!".?! That would be shit hot.

And then you'd get courtmartialled and shot. :cry:

- Coach

Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:03 am
Minor Diety

There's always the Kurtz option. :)

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next