It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Derf's Games Radar 
Minor Diety

Post Derf's Games Radar
Perhaps a running article in Jade Gamer magazine? :lol:

I've stated to bookmark potentially tasty games that are due for release, so that I don't lose track of them. I figured I may as well share my thoughts since they're not riddled with jade, but optimism (hope). Some games may actually be already out, but I haven't yet considered looking for them.

Fallout: New Vegas http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games-an ... n1Z1z13fsw
Diablo III http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games-an ... n1Z1z13fsw
Starcraft II http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games-an ... n1Z1z13frr
Space Rangers 2 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... %20rangers
Black Mirror II http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/05 ... mirror-ii/
Shogun II: Total War http://www.gametrailers.com/player/100900.html
Men of War: Assault Squad http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/05 ... ult-squad/
Metro 2033 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/metro2033
Civ V http://www.civilization5.com/
Amnesia: Dark Descent http://www.amnesiagame.com/#main
Mafia II
Deus Ex 3
Red Orchestra 2http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/07/fact-o-pics-red-orchestra-heroes-of-stalingrad/

Fallout: New Vegas
Actually pretty skeptical about this one. FO3 was a money-grabbing, broad-audience, piss-weak RPG with even weaker atmosphere. I'm interested to see if they will break away from the Oblivion mould and bring me back to RPG's. So far I haven't seen any piece of info on gameplay, so I will have to reserve my judgement and reserve a slot for this game in my honored radar list.

Diablo III
Really looking forward to this. I hope they maintain the top-down element as much as possible because for the past few years, having to rotate the fucking camera due to columns blocking my view has destroyed RPG's. How about concentrating on making one camera angle as visually beautiful and functional as possible, rather than attempting to hail that 3D is the dogs-bollocks and that RSI and basic usability principles are myth. Let's hope they keep a decent level of freedom and abstraction too.

Starcraft II
I'm quite into strategy games. They can be a real creative outlet. Starcraft was an obvious hit and I would like Starcraft 2 to be something along the lines of C&C III, maybe even with a hint of AOE III. A healthy skirmish mode vs CPU is enough to keep me happy, but an MP mode can bring about epic co-op play. Rinox would agree :)

Space Rangers 2
I think this is out. I've seen that it's described as a strategy-RPG of some kind and that overall reviews (even Metacritic) are pretty high. I hope that it's something along the lines of Men of War, but obviously don't expect it to be. I should really do a bit more reading on this one.

Black Mirror II
I think this is out too. I know almost nothing about it other than 1 screenshot and the genre, adventure. It's one of those games like Broken Sword whereby the gaming world is a series of breathtaking backdrops and your character must go away and dive in the story. I've recently tried to play Nikopol, which is a similar kind of concept, but it didn't come off. Me loves atmosphere.

Shogun II: Total War
This is a rumour, but i've seen it on RPS, and as much as that site irritates me, there could be some degree of truth in claiming that Shogun 2 may be on the horizon. I'm 50/50 on this. My jaded half tells me it's going to be another Rome mod as we've seen in the previous 3 installations of Total War, which means it's going to sport the usual (frankly broken) campaign map and the same pretty (but moronic) battles. I'd like to see them break away from the current campaign map and revisit the idea of provincial maps we see in the original Shogun and Medieval. Maybe even throw in a subset of territories, like county equivalents or something.

Men of War: Assault Squad
OMG OMG OMG OMG. Apparently the focus on this standalone expansion is MP / Co-op and a smaller hero-like scale, perhaps more along the lines of Soldiers: Heroes of WW2. Which i'm fine with to be honest because the larger battles in MoW were too unwieldy and although it gave me a genuine mega-hardon spending 2 hours equipping each man manually one-by-one and setting him off into his own squad / platoon, the game didn't cater for company sized fighting. (No logistics and no inventory / roster management). You ended up picking up 4 of your hardest, most ultra armoured and gunned men to do the mission anyway :)

Metro 2033
I think this is out too. It kinda fell below my radar since it must have been hit by some kind of jade-jammer. It's interesting to me because the concept and atmosphere is sound. What worries me is that apparently it's riddled with bugs. So fuck that. If it gets fixed I may give it a whirl.

Civ V
No brainer! Although I say that with slight reluctance because Civ 4, to me, wasn't very good. Was it the shift to 3D perhaps? Hmmmmmm... what do you think? Anyway, I hope they don't continue to dumb down the series.

Amnesia: Dark Descent
This one was pointed out by Rinox actually, and it's due out in Q3 I think. There's a 20% pre-order discount at the official website, which is tempting. It's like Penumbra. Basically, this game is all about drawing into a creepy and atmospheric world and then, occasionally, make you fully and utterly shit yourself with horror. I'm pretty fresh to this genre, but I can see how this works.

Mafia II: Might aswell throw this one in. Although it looks heavily console-ified, if it maintains a strategic element, it could be awesome.

Deus Ex 3: Well, Deus Ex 2 was gash in my opinion. It was clearly consolified to death. Hopefully we will see something grand with the 3rd helping. Totally not hyped up about it though.

Red Orchestra 2: OMG, this is big! RO1 (well - in truth Darkest Hour) is unique in terms on FPS. It throws you into a gritty yet pretty real WW2 environment in a kind of semi-simulation kind of way. The maps in DH are extremely well designed. Hopefully, RO2 will be just as awesome. Good news is it's based on Unreal 3 engine.

Last edited by derf on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sat May 29, 2010 4:58 am
Minor Diety

Post Re: Derf's Games Radar
Civ IV with all expansions and patches is great. I hated it when it first came out. far too buggy. I'm curious as to how the move to hex tiles will play out. It's the first mayor change in the game since... the first game I think.

Sat May 29, 2010 5:10 am
Stranger

I have space rangers 2. Its a nice game, quite long, but it consists of space adventures, ground battles, hyperspace combat and text adventures that require math, logic, intelligence. It has some bugs, especially with ground battles and the path finding is from Ice age. Overall there is so much game in it, I cant think of any other game quite like it. You get by far more than you pay for. However the game is so long and you have the attention span of a rabbit so i wouldn't be one bit surprised if you burn out on it real quick.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat May 29, 2010 5:43 am
Minor Diety

Nice list Derfmeister. Fallout: New Vegas will feature some things you'll dig like the hardcore mode (need water to survive in the wastelands, ammo has weight, tougher combat, etc etc), the fact that its RPG system will be more like the original Fallout and the improved dialogues (having certain skills will give new conversation options.

Quote:
Skills have an effect on what conversation options are available to your character. Being skilled in Demolitions, for example, will allow you to talk about explosives in more detail. Again, Josh Sawyer chimed in on the forums:

This is how it works. Each skill-based dialogue option has two different texts: one for high skill (which will result in success) and one for low skill (which will result in failure). If you do not meet the required threshold, you see the latter.

There are a few reasons for including this:

* In the same way that a locked safe beyond your Lockpicking skill indicates, it lets the player know that there's an option here.
* Some of the NPC responses to low skill checks can be pretty entertaining.

I'm stoked for New Vegas.

Diablo III more for the co-op and perhaps a small amount of loot fever, but it's the game to end all games for me. ;) Looking forward to spending time in the MoW expansion if it turns out to be good, too. :twisted:

Civ V...it'll probably be great, but I can't get myself to spend 50 € on it so I'll probably get it later unless there is some crazy MP improvement. Starcraft 2 I'll probably get on launch or pre-order, because I'm sure the singleplayer campaign will be impeccable and long and the MP is just a very nice bonus. Looking forward to it.

Amnesia I preordered already, as you know. The trailer alone makes me shit my pants, imagine what the actual game could do. :lol: And what's your beef with RPS? They're still better than all those gamespot/gamespy/IGN non-pc centric bloated sites with tons of ads and videos and all sorts of bloatware. RPS is my first stop for games news, but yeah, they sometimes get a little too meta.

I'll get working soon on that Horror adventure/shooter games list we talked about, promise.

- Coach

Sat May 29, 2010 8:35 am
Minor Diety

Oh yeah, that list would be great.

As for RPS, I like the content, I just find the puns and general language mostly unfamiliar or immensely nerdy. A lot of industry in-jokes and references to specifically geeky things.

Sat May 29, 2010 8:40 am
Minor Diety

Added mafia 2

Sat May 29, 2010 11:24 am
Minor Diety

Fuck yes. Mafia 1 is one of my all-time favorites. Even now it's still a great game and very playable, both in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Pretty much agree with this list, but I might add some things like Portal 2 (2010), Kane & Lynch 2 (end of August) and to a lesser extent Singularity ((July).

- Coach

Sun May 30, 2010 4:24 am
Minor Diety

Screen shot of MoW:AS

Mon May 31, 2010 5:39 pm
Minor Diety

Looks pretty polished and colourful...let's hope they don't turn it into something it's not, ie a fancy shiny graphics manshooter.

- Coach

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:07 am
Minor Diety

Shogun 2 officially announced 8-)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06 ... confirmed/

- Coach

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:45 am
Stranger

Lets hope that this time they release a game instead of rather large compilation of bugs.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:08 am
Minor Diety

I have an overwhelming feeling that it's going to be another mod, jam-packed full of new empty features and bugs. Someone mentioned rather intelligently on RPS, why have they not rather done China: Total War? I mean Sun Tzu was Chinese after all.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:19 pm
Minor Diety

I've been wondering about that too. The Chinese Warring States period should give enough different army options (especially when you include some peoples living at the border of China).

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 pm
Minor Diety

And China is rather large, with complex politics and economics. Which, from a campaign perspective, is ideal.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:40 pm
Minor Diety

Derf...

Get ready to jizz

and keep jizzing

until you jizz blood

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06 ... more-31425

MEN OF WAR IN VIETNAM

- Coach

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next