It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 40  Next
Left 4 Dead 2!! 
Minor Diety

Ox, what are you talking about? You know that's a screenshot of us two playing after we installed the manlove mod. :lol:

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:32 am
Minor Diety

I played the demo for the first time so here comes a good ol' Derf style review...

(played on expert btw)

The very first thing I did in-game was turn the damn in-game music off. I normally switch in-game music off for all games, but this was just damn frustrating.

Secondly, the controls are generally less snappy than the original L4D. I noticed that the weapons have a kind of delay about them. I click the trigger of the shotgun, uzi and pistols and there is a very very tiny delay before the shot is actually fired. I think in general, the feel of the weapons has deteriorated somewhat. Going full auto with the uzi or blazing with dual pistols just doesn't seem to coincide well with how i'm clicking the mouse.

Thirdly the friendly AI does some stupid shit. Like running for no reason into danger or staying pretty far behind, running into your fire too. I think bots are now more a liability.

The magic pistol you get when incapacitated is a PITA. Makes no sense to me at all.

The melee range of the tank has been increased too much. According to the animation of his attack, he was pretty far from me as I was running away from him, yet he hit me down to the ground.

The riot cops are a joke. I unloaded 3 uzi mags and 4 pistol mags into one and he was still alive. I know the idea is that they have bullet proof stuff on, but that shit is just not right.

There are too many weapons & ammo.

Didn't know where the fuck I was by looking at the map. Didn't resemble any logical real life place.

Charger speed is stupid. I saw him running at a pretty normal pace, but one time i walked round a corner and there was one right there. I didn't have time to dart behind the corner given to how freakin quickly he charged me. Again, it was something that went against the animation of the creature, you know, legs running at a certain pace, but he's actually travelling much faster.

As for the good, well, it's L4D is suppose. The daylight thing doesn't bother me. Killing zombies is still pretty fun, and I did only play with O'cram and 2 bots so it can only get more fun I suspect.

But it does feel like a tainted L4D.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:43 pm
Minor Diety

I'll agree that the controls felt a little different, but not necessarily worse imho. It's just different.

Most of your other remarks are harsh tho. The tank has an insane armreach in the original L4D as well (I always misjudge it, especially on expert), bots aren't more retarded than in the original and the music thing is just your twisted sense of immersion. :lol: I love the music and what they did with it in L4D2, personally.

Agree that the charger's picking up of speed can be a bit ridiculous, but his attack really adds to the repertoire of the SI so I don't mind. Like the spitter, he excels at breaking up cohesive (ie good) teams, which were sometimes hard to break in the original, if not impossible.

The 'uncommon commons' in riot gear can't be damage from the front. They're just invulnerable, so you can unload 15456 clips into them and they'll still get up. You gotta shoot them in the back or side.

And yeah, the pistol when you're down is lame when you're only carrying a melee weapon. :roll: Don't know how they'll make that less bizarro tho.

All in all, you make a few good points, but I think most of what you said isn't necessarily worse, just different from L4D. And I'm sure Valve will still fix a few things before November 16th - this is a demo, after all. There are a few console-ish traits that need fixing like the weapons taking up 40% of the screen, for example. :(

- Coach

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:05 am
Minor Diety

Read this in a RPS comment thread (re realism mode for L4D2) and found it pretty funny

[quote]L4D2’s realism mode is going to become an awful cesspit of people trying to be as tactical as possible. I fully expect the increased friendly fire damage to result in people calling out almost everytime they are even moving to avoid accidentally eating some bullets from someone, and stripping everything down into simple barked commands like we are Delta Force or some other nonsense.

Voice chat is so you can scream “OH GOD IT’S GOT ME IT’S GOT ME HELP HELP IT’S GOT MEâ€

- Coach

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:43 am
Felix Rex

I think Derf is smoking his magical rock again. :roll: Too many weapons. Jeez man. That's like complaining that the voice acting is too good in an RPG or something.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:15 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Wtf bitch, I've been preloading for 2 hours and am at 96% right now. You came online 15 minutes ago and at 26%?!

I hate you. I hate you so much. I wish I could hate you death.

- Coach

Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:07 am
Felix Rex

hehe...dude, I live in America. Our broadband sucks, our wireless sucks.... if I'm lucky and have a badass net connection, I've gotta flaunt it at every possibility. :P

Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

One day to go...shall we set up a weekend game already? On advanced, obviously. :)

- Coach

Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:56 am
Felix Rex

Shiny and I will be snow boarding this weekend. :roll:

Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

But cool, just try not to do it too drunk as you might end up paying a little kid's hospital bill. :roll: So Peltz has L4D2, Derf too? We might just get a 3+ 1 random dork game going.

- Coach

Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:08 am
Minor Diety

I don't think i will right away. *SHOCK BLASPHEMY!!!*

Hehe, oh and satis and shiny, if its your first time get some kind of padding for your asses cos you're going to be landing on them alot. :lol:

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:33 am
Count

No worries Derf we will take a lesson first as a refresher for me and a beginner for Satis. As for falling on your ass... that is half the fun at least for someone who NEVER sees snow normally. Unfortunately I have a bruised tailbone right now so I hope that heals before I go and fall on my booty.

I will look forward to gaming with y'all when we get back. Plus the week after next is holiday so we should have lots of game time. :)

Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:51 am
Minor Diety

Derf sucks monkey balls :P I guess me and Peltz will have to see if we can find some time in between playing DA (50+ hours and counting and not quite near the end yet). :roll: But I have half a mind of just letting the game rest for a moment until we can tackle it with a full crew...

Rockpapershotgun has a nice and detailed 'review' going over the features. Very much worth reading, and once Derf reads about the realism mode he'll jizz his pants and get out a credit card (not from the jizzed pants necessarily).

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/11 ... ent-358082

So looking forward to it after reading that overview.

Quote:
Left 4 Dead 2 is not just a bigger, better, more involved sequel to the original game. It’s an opportunity for more of those shouted celebrations of success, or cries of betrayal on defeat. It’s what a sequel should be: the ideas from the original game rethought, reimagined, and enormously improved upon, in a new setting, with new characters, new weapons, new enemies, new tactics and new ways to play. And significantly longer than the original.

Quote:
Left 4 Dead 2 takes an already good idea to the next stage. Every aspect of it is designed around how people play games, and indeed how people played Left 4 Dead 1. Sneaks and cheeky work-arounds are blocked with cunning new techniques, enemies and challenges. The storytelling that was admired before is increased, but without its impeding on your own ability to create narratives with friends. The crescendo events are ramped up, tougher, and often more explosive. And the new modes, Realism and Scavenge have immediately become my favourite ways to play. Alongside the perfectly adequate but comparatively underwhelming beginning with Dead Center, is the enormous smartness of chapters like Hard Rain and Swamp Fever, or the ridiculous inventiveness of Dark Carnival, and indeed the frenzied intensity of the final campaign, Parish, making for an absolutely exceptional time.

Also, screenshot galore:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/11 ... t-gallery/

- Coach

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:01 am
Minor Diety

Looks like we've got another winner on our hands:

http://apps.metacritic.com/games/platfo ... left4dead2

- Coach

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 40  Next