It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 12:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next
Left 4 Dead 
Minor Diety

Got ox on my list as well. Gonna eat now, kill some zombies later. Maybe i'll see some familiar faces online.

Btw i'm going to be playing it on expert next i think. Finished it on SP on advanced, normal isn't a real challenge (as in "there's a good chance not all of you 4 will make it").

~King of Thieves~

Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:18 am
Felix Rex

hosting a local server seems to suddenly work for online play. Shiny, J and I had some Advanced goodness. We took some serious beatings but triumphed every time. I think it may be time for some expert play.

Shiny and I are both digging this game a good deal. I'm sure we'll end up springing for the full version when it becomes available.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I think there was a patch today/yesterday that might have helped, dunno.

I'm liking the game as well, things i like are:

- good AI, the 'boss' monsters can really be a serieus pain in the ass, might team up on you, or surprise attack from behind when you're rushed by a mob
- opponents generally don't show up on the same spot every time
- friendly fire: not smart to just start spraying bullets when you're blinded by zombie vomit, since your teammates will be killed
- injuries affect your movement, when really low on health your vision gets ... blurry isn't the word, but you know what i mean if you've been there
- good atmosphere (i really get paranoid sometimes :P ), when you hear a monster you're looking around everywhere to spot it, except above you and suddenly you're being strangled

Only thing that might hold me from buying it (or getting it for my birthday) is that i'm not too sure if the replayability is still as big when you have the whole game. Since it only has 6 types of enemies i think.

On the other hand: i think 4 vs 4 (survivors vs zombies) is pretty cool as well. So there are some great multiplayer options. You never know how the community will be though, but as always there will be whiners, kiddies, teamkillers ... . Just have to find some sensible players.

Btw: it was the first time for me we ran into that 'tank zombie', damn that thing was though. 8-)

Release is 18 nov i thought?

~King of Thieves~

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:56 pm
Felix Rex

Yes, release is tomorrow. Shiny and I pre-ordered so we're ready to rock-n-roll. We enjoy playing cooperatively so even if it's just me and her it's worth it. Plus the $5 discount from preordering. :roll: So if anyone feels like jumping into the full deal, at least you won't be alone.

Regarding replayability, I've had a decent amount of fun replaying the first two levels, but I don't know if the rest of the game will be so much fun to replay. The fact the enemies aren't especially varied concerns me. However, the environments should be pretty different, so hopefully that'll keep things interesting. Who knows, it's too late now.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:44 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I might still get the full game depending on the sentiments here and third-party reviews, but the demo is apparently a 2.2 gig download so no thanks, for now. :(

As for replayability, I wouldn't worry too much about it J. It's like CS: sure, you (I?) don't play it every day or even every week, but it sure is a game I always return to for some quick fun, even after the initial rush of wanting to be the best is over.

I think L4D will offer that and more, with the co-op mode. Good horror action is sweet, but good horror action shared with 3 other cool people is even better. :)

Quick question: is the AI really as good and varied as they say? I.e. does it really require quick thinking to outsmart it?

- Coach

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:00 am
Stranger

I think it requires that group mentality, success is achieved through teamwork, anti-socials or soloers will meet a quick end behind some corner.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:47 am
Felix Rex

lol@the comic. And yes, it definitely requires teamwork and some quick reactions. Like if hunter grabs you, you're screwed unless a teammate rescues you. Same if you're incapacitated. So it heavily emphasizes sticking together and working as a team.

To be honest, I thought it was kinda gay at first... the Source engine is aging something fierce and it seemed like generic horde killing... but it grew on me pretty fast. I'm definitely looking forward to it now.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

The little variation in enemies worries me a bit as well, but i hope 4 vs 4 is a good alternative then.

And yeah: if you got one guy rushing forward to get as many kills as possible, he'll soon be torn to pieces by a hunter or strangled by a smoker. So teamplay is key, especially on harder difficulties. We barely got through the 2 stages of the demo alive on advanced, after that there are i think 2 stages to come if you want to finish the first 'story'. We probably wouldn't have survived that.

~King of Thieves~

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:37 am
Count

All I got ta say is... I'm sorry for shooting you J. It wasn't on purpose and I was sober even. So... hopefully you don't hate meh for it.

Plus, I suck as games - but I have fun trying!

Hope some of the rest of you pick up the full version too - I have not honestly had a game to play for a while so I am pretty happy about this one.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:11 pm
Felix Rex

lol, shiny'll be apologizing a lot I think. :p Whatever, it's part of the gun, trying not to waste your teamies. I played a couple games today with people that love running into doorways and shit so you can't support them. Oh well, adios pendejo. Also got in a game with a 12 year old with a mic. :roll: I didn't stick around for very long, though it was hilarious watching some guy call him/her a 7 year old.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

No problem shiny, yesterday i killed someone myself :P But he got in my line of fire, not (entirely) my fault.

Managed to finish the demo on expert yesterday with a couple of guys, it was much thougher than advanced. I've died so many times, it would be ambarassing if the others didn't die so often as well.

Good chance i'll be picking this one up (during or after exams probably)

~King of Thieves~

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:17 am
Minor Diety

I'm curious to see some gameplay...any of you care to post a small vid with your games? :)

- Coach

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:44 am
Stranger

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34104.html

I think this is a good trailer because it shows how the gameplay gets from stupid simple to full mob rush and then you die.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:47 am
Minor Diety

Trailer looked good, i'm actually starting to want this game a bit more now. ;) How are the first impressions from our full game owners so far?

- Coach

Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:08 am
Count

I am diggin it. Satis and I played for a little bit last night. I fully expect to play tonight for a bit. I see it as a game I will go back and replay on a harder setting later on (although the last part we did before we had to quit was hard).

OK seriously running late for work... so more will have to wait.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39  Next