It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Controlling light 
Minor Diety

Post Controlling light
Saw this on the Dutch news an hour ago, pretty cool stuff. Check it out

http://www.tn.utwente.nl/cops/output/3_ ... me_en.html

I hope you're willing to read a page of physics talk, they explained it nice and easy on the news for me though. :P

- Coach

Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:23 pm
Minor Diety

Yeah saw that too, good that they show these things on the news nowadays, sience is cool, but try to explain that to children or even the fools in our government. :(

Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:39 am
Minor Diety

I didn't read the entire thing, but I will at some point. sounds cool!

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Now that was one hyperlink i was very happy to visit. Interesting stuff indeed.

Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:06 am
Felix Rex

very interesting. I don't think it went enough into possible applications, though. :)

Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, it was kinda technical. Even for me. :roll: lol. Anyhoo, on the Dutch news they mentioned its potential use as a neverending power source. That would come in very handy in a few years.

- Coach

Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:34 pm
Minor Diety

Heh, neverending power source? They just said this:
Quote:
Photonic crystals that delay emission of light and thus store energy may find applications in solar cells: sun light is converted to a high energy state of atoms in a solar cell. The energy harvesting can be made efficient since energy is not leaking away as emitted light.

In short, making solar cells more efficient.

Neverending power sources are impossible.

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:03 am
Minor Diety

lol, aight, it is not exactly NEVERending, but since the sun shining and humanity's existance on earth are tightly bound together, making solar cells more efficient is a good shot. Or maybe I'm missing something here.

- Coach

Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:28 am
Felix Rex

lol...neverevending power source kinda implies power with no source. IE, violating the laws of thermodynamics. Anyway, I won't be impressed until either we produce immortality or create space travel.

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I'd be happy with a never ending supply of cheeseburgers, but thats me spamming.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol...neverevending power source kinda implies power with no source. IE, violating the laws of thermodynamics. Anyway, I won't be impressed until either we produce immortality or create space travel.

You know that I don't take the law of thermodynamics too seriously :P ;)

Clinical immortality would rock. In combination with euthanasia of course...being forced to live forever wouldn't be too great either. :roll:

- Coach

Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:48 pm
Minor Diety

Clinical immortality seems not that impossible, I believ researchers have found a gen that initiates the aging process, but the difficulty is preventing cells to grow cancerous as a result.
Euthanasia is already possible off course, but not yet legal here for people that are not incuaribly (is thata word?) ill and suffering as a result, wich is supposed to be impossible with clinical immortality.

Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:28 pm
Minor Diety

incurably is the word, I think. And it's the same here...I want a full-fledged right on suicide, but that'll prolly be another years. I don't know why you can't in the first place, it's not like they're gonna stop you if you wanna jump in front of a truck. :roll: Would be a lot less messy to have ppl commit suicide in regulated areas, too.

- Coach

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:02 pm
Minor Diety

Yes but things shouldn't be made too easily. A lot of suicides are not commited because the time it takes to organize it often takes long enough to make the suicidal person change his/her mind.
Off course jumping before a train doesn't need much preperation, but that's not the most pleasent way to die.

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:10 pm
Felix Rex

I think suicide should be legal as well. Perhaps force people to fill out forms and take a month's counseling, followed by written authorization and state-assisted euthanasia. :) And, of course, the person would have to sacrifice all their organs. hehe

Basically, make it a bitch to kill yourself, but make it possible.

erm...anyway....yes, true immortality (being unable to die) is not necessarily a good thing. Having the option is definetely superior. Though even the former is, imo, superior to the status quo.

Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next