It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Satis? 
Felix Rex

alot of it depends. Since it's ray-tracing I can crank up the detail, reflections, refractions, etc, and make a single frame take forever to render. It also depends on what's in the render. The more reflections/fogs/clouds the longer the render time.

Obviously textures make a difference too. And is the texture 3d or 2d? Not that I know how to make a 3d texture, but they do exist (and I imagine make rendering take even longer).

However, to answer your direct question,

at 1024x768 resolution, the picture I generated above took maybe 1 second, if that. 1800 polygons is not alot... assuming no crazy reflection/refraction stuff and a 1024x768 res, I'm sure I could generate 1 frame/sec or better. I'd really need to test it, though. The one thing in there that throws me off is the 30MB texture. That's pretty big for a texture. Or do you mean 30MB in total for all textures? If so, then that's no big deal.

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

However, to answer your direct question, ...

Heheh. Satis, do you try to impress me? So, it finaly worked, hehe. But, aye, my VERY thanks for the answer that finaly and absolutely satisfy my inexhaustible curiosity about 360 FOV rendering you talked about. I REALY appreciate your patience while playing these little games with me.

Now is time to reveal what I have, if you're interested to hear, of course. Clypto Eye 2.0 2nd edition can do this:

1. 360 x 180 h/v visibility range, 1500 polygons (two sided, all moving around by a linear functions, interactively with the camera moving), 4 spot lights, without any shadows or interactive sounds, wireframe mode.
2. Using OpenGL as shell in 1024x768, 16bit color depth, 2x antialiasing (partial).
3. Tested on: P3 Duron 1.2GHz 64kB L2 cache, GeForce2 MX400 64MB, FSB 100MHz.

gets 132-156 FPS.

If I add about 12MB of textures (uncompressed) and remove wires, I get 102-108 FPS.

With overall colision detection, medium quality AI, sounds etc. it shouldn't be more slower than many of 3D Engines in in-game mode.

Err... but on the rest of thing:

Satis wrote:
...ray-tracing...

I mentioned I talk about applying that in game, haven't I. So, I talk about the most optimized (bauty/speed) 3D-drawing mode.

Satis wrote:
And is the texture 3d or 2d?

3D Texture? Since I do just-draw-it-3d-programming-works, this is the first time I hear for something like that. First thing that comes to mind is that 2D texture outstretched over the vertex shall do the job more-less effectively (perhaps, after more much sweat, tears, and frustration while you force it to do what you want). Second thing comes to mind is that animated 2D texture is actualy 2D x time = 3D. If you have time, one explaination shall do.

Satis wrote:
The more reflections/fogs/clouds the longer the render time.

Do you played Flanker 2.0? There clouds are pretty good, especialy during you fly through them. That would satisfy most of players I say. Still easy to render. There are not lens flares around the sun, but I had to test them and they take about 10-13 FPS to describe the sun bless proper.

Satis wrote:
The one thing in there that throws me off is the 30MB texture.

I said textures. You do not use only one, do you? 30MB (uncompressed, in memory) is pretty normal for some good-look in-game scene. So, feel free to make more textures which will have sum-size about 30MB.

Last edited by RB on Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:48 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Now I understand where you were going. Indeed, what I was doing and what you're talking about are two (slightly) different things. Your questions make more sense now. :)

The framerate sounds good. I'd have to take a look at the type of detail you're rendering to be able to judge, of course, but that's quite good.

What I was doing was ray-tracing. Modern 3d engines don't ray-trace. The difference being that ray-tracing engines follow every ray of light as it bounces around the scene. Which is why ray-tracing is so pretty. However, ray-tracing is too inefficient for game engines, so most game engines use various tricks and shortcuts to create a realistic scene. Some day, when computing power increases enough, I think the two (ray tracing and game engines) will converge. But not yet.

3d textures... in my case I'm talking about Bryce. Bryce has some textures that change depending on 'height' or some other number. IE, if you texture a mountain mesh, as the texture goes further up the mountain it changes from browns and greens to white for snow. This is all built into a single texture. I'm not really sure how this is accomplished... something in the engine, I'm sure, but I have no clue how to create my own 3d texture.

I know what you mean by 2dxtime textures, but that's not exactly what I meant. As far as I know, the time-changing textures are either made by fading a beginning texture into an end texture, or using some sort of fractal calculation that changes with time.

I never played Flanker, so I'm afraid I don't follow you there. What I meant mainly by clouds/fod/etc was some 'shape' that scattered light... which goes back to ray-tracing vs. 3d engines. :)

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2