It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Fallout 4 
Felix Rex

Post Re: Fallout 4
lol, wtf. That's one of the more bizarre things I've seen.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Quote:
The download is free but you will need an additional 58 GB of available space to install the texture pack.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallou ... 0-6447385/

Thats like two or three normal games.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:02 pm
Minor Diety

Jesus CHrist, it can't possibly need to be that big. I've downloaded (probably better) high-res texture packs made by modders for other Bethesda games and they weren't anywhere near 60 gigs.

- Coach

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:24 pm
Felix Rex

It's 2017. Buy a bigger SSD you cheap Belgian bastard. :wink:

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Something funny i came across.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:09 pm
Minor Diety

I like it. :) The amount of times you do something in a game of which there is 0.0% chance of that ever happening irl due to a clunky interface is staggering haha.

"Oh shit, I accidentally shot my companion instead of giving him an item because I clicked right instead of left." :roll: Happens irl all the time, I'm sure.

- Coach

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:45 pm
Felix Rex

like your inability to scale a 2 foot wall irl. Or how flashlight batteries last forever, but only for 15 seconds at a time. Or how eating a bunch of pain pills makes you feel better, instead of killing you.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Well, they probably do make you feel better. Briefly. :) But if you chew through them like you're in a Max Payne game then yeah, I think that would probably end a bit differently than you rampaging through Noir York and slowmo killing hordes of mobsters.

Talking about flaslights, we shouldn't forget the fact that in the distant grim future we somehow still haven't figured out how to use flashlights together with a weapon. :lol: I guess developing freaking plasma weapons was a higher priority than coming up with a rifle-mounted flashlight, or a body or head flashlight. Imagining a sort of 2001: a space oddysey scene where a scientist first realises that it's possible to use a flaslight and weapon in tandem.

- Coach

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:50 am
Stranger

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/huge- ... 0-6486406/

Fallout: New Vegas The Frontier PC Mod Now Live

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:02 am
Minor Diety

So I finally started playing Fallout 4 after years of the GOTY edition sitting in my backlog, and....I stopped playing it because I kind of hated it. :cry:

Let me start out by saying that I actually modded it to get actual dialogue choices, better inventory screens, UI and other little quality of life updates. But even then some of those were a massive turnoff for me.

Even with a mod the PIP boy inventory is in too small a screen and difficult to navigate for example. I love PIP boys as much as the next guy, but why even put the inventory in there? I can see why you'd want to track reputation, stats, health, maps and all that jazz in there but the entire inventory? There really is no canon reason to do that. It felt like one of the compromises they had to make to accomodate console gamers with gamepads and I fucking hated it.

The game seems to urge you towards crafting and building your own settlements quite heavily even early on, and I hated the crafting with a passion. Again, unintuive screens and systems and clearly geared towards grinding where you have to pick up a shit load of junk all the time. There's nothing wrong with a crafting system, as long as it's easy to use and isn't an important part of what is supposed to be an RPG first and foremost, in my book. If this was a survival game then crafting would have made more sense. The way it looked now it fell somewhere between being a shooty RPG and a survival game without being either. The base building and management falls under the same umbrella, that shit isn't as satisfying in 1st or 3rd person, to me.

And then the combat and overall mechanics just felt....played out. I know it literally is an updated version of the same engine as F3 and so on, but good god at least try to make it better. It's all almost as clunky and silly as in F3 and that's ages ago. I can't believe that they haven't managed to improve almost anything to the overall feel and presentation of it.

Then the RPG part, with building your character and skilling up etc, that felt extremely stripped down even compared to the previous games. I'll admit I didn't go very deeply into it since I didn't play for a very long time but it really didn't seem very appealing to me at all at a first glance.

On the positive side, the game did look pretty great when walking around in the destroyed towns, they nailed the post apocalyptic vibe better than in the previous games. The world feels more (formerly) inhabited and real. Voice acting seemed to be good too. And I'm sure there was some spectacular locations and characters later in the game but I doubt I could have suppressed my frustration for dozens of hours at all the other things mentioned here. :P

I know I didn't play the game enough to really give it a fair shake, so I'm open to dissenting opinions if anyone feels like I'm missing something or totally wrong about something. :) But yeah I really didn't feel it once I started to get going and started exploring the wasteland. The introduction and the first big mission were pretty nice tho!

- Coach

Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:12 pm
Felix Rex

So man... you are missing out. That game is amazing. The gameplay will probably grow on you, but what kept me going is the personality of your companions and exploring and finding crap. Sorry you hate it. I put quite a few hours into it and enjoyed the experience. BTW, the settlements are not required as far as I recall. I did build a bunch, but they don't really do much. Unless you install mortars or whatever and actually use them to help you attack stuff, but mostly that's not necessary. Meaning besides what's required as part of the story, you can ignore them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

I'm waiting for the London mod to launch next year to get back into it. Probably wont touch FO games before that.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:40 am
Minor Diety

What's the London mod Peltz? A massive overhaul?

@ Satis ok if the settlements are completely optional that's already a huge improvement for me. :D I did feel like I was running out of ammo without any opportunity to replenish it in the early game but then I had only met one trader or something. I guess you were supposed to craft more yourself until you reach a town with proper stores?

Like I said I only played two hours so I will admit that I didn't give it much of a chance, but I just got so frustrated with what I did experience. I might give it another shot then if I run out of other things to play. ;-)

- Coach

Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:13 am
Stranger

It has its own webpage. https://fallout4london.com/

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:16 pm
Felix Rex

I didn't care for the beginning of Fallout 4. It seemed really repetitive and rote, and I hated ... hmmm.... just in case.

Toward the beginning a major mission if fighting with the minutemen and they just give you power armor and laser weapons.
To me a big part of what makes FO awesome is earning the high end gear, so just being handed it right at the beginning really turned me off.
Turns out that was misplaced... you can use that stuff, but have no way of repairing or replenishing it, so it quickly becomes unusable anyway.

The really great parts are all the stories... primary game story, companions, and just the random crap you run into by just exploring. There are also several endings... 4 I think? I made a save right before the end so I could replay them (though I screwed up and wasn't able to do one of them).

Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next