It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Juno 
Felix Rex

Post Juno
So, am I the only one kinda nerding out about the Juno spacecraft approaching Jupiter? Man, I hope nothing goes wrong, The images and data this thing's going to send back are going to be insane.

BTW, apparently it recently passed the bowshock where Jupiter's magnetic field hits the sun's and it was turned into a YouTube video (of course).

Then some more audio from when the spacecraft passed into the magentosphere.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post Re: Juno
I'm not as into this as you, as I have little idea what the terms you are using actually mean. :) But yeah, it's pretty cool regardless.

Seems like it is now in orbit. W00t w00t!

What kind of data can we expect exactly?

- Coach

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:41 am
Felix Rex

Scientists believe that Jupiter is mostly composed of hydrogen (90%) with some helium (10%) and various trace elements, but it's so big that atmospheric pressure gets really high, really quick. This causes the hydrogen to turn into a fluid and eventually the electrons get squeezed out, turning it into metallic liquid hydrogen, which is conductive. That creates a massive magnetic field. Where this magnetic field (magnetosphere) interfaces with the solar wind from the sun is the bow shock.

Similarly, there's a bow shock for our solar system where the sun's magentic field (heliosphere) gives way to the galaxy's magnetic field. Voyager 1 crossed the bow shock a few years ago, I believe, and it behaved very differently than scientists had surmised.

Anyway, neat stuff. I love science. Juno also became the fastest man made object in history as it accelerated toward Jupiter's gravity well prior to firing its engine. It got up to 165,000mph relative to earth (265,000 km/h).

Regarding science, it's got a bunch of instruments to measure the gravity field, magnetic field, presence of water, and multiple cameras, including ultraviolet and infrared ones.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Cool stuff, thanks for the explanation(s)! :)

I've looked up some general info about Jupiter and it seems like the most interesting thing about it (and I'm guessing the main focus for Juno's research) is the interplay between helium and hydrogen you already talked about. More specifically, the way hydrogen 'acts' under the conditions on Jupiter (gas, liquid, metal). Pretty cool. I hope they find out some neat stuff, but I know that science usually is a process of slow progress and building on existing theorems and assumptions, instead of miraculous findings and giant leaps forward. So for a layman like me, it may not seem like much. :)

- Coach

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:02 am
Felix Rex

hehe, it's all good. I'm just glad that we're doing some really cool science, despite all the conservative douchebags that've been running my government for the last couple decades.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, I think being a career politician is almost inevitably at odds with caring about cool stuff like this :roll:

- Coach

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]