It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
DIY 
Minor Diety

Post DIY
Any of you buttheads into DIY, like building and repairing stuff?

I've found in the last year or so it's my new favourite hobby, to the degree my shed is now too small for all my tool and workbench aspirations. Must be an age thing. At 31 i feel the need to build a base of operations.

In the space of 6 months i've gotten myself:

- jigsaw
- sds drill + various sds bits
- kreg jig
- mitre box
- paint sprayer
- a whole bunch of hand tools: tenon saw, hacksaw, metal saw, clamps, spirit, fiskars hatchet, etc.

Built a workbench, put up a million shelves, kitted out the shed as a practical workshop, painting and gardening like a madman too. My next project is to use the kreg jig to build a roof that gives us a sheltered outdoor area just outside the conservatory because it's useful to have an outside area that's sheltered for things like a gas BBQ, or just when you want to be outside without being pissed on with rain. Ordered £100 worth of wood.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:40 am
Stranger

Post Re: DIY
I have a fair amount of tools as i fix the plumbing, the toilets and the computers. I also have a lawn tractor that needs the occasional fixing touch. But mostly they categorize as repair tools and not so much as construction tools. The house I live in is pretty much the complete thing and has a sheltered area. The only thing is the fence which is in a abysmal state and i haven't gotten around to fixing it. Mostly because it involves killing 3 or 4 bushes and a few trees in order to redesign the flagpole area. I'm planning on ordering either a wooden fence that has been treated with anti-rot (but also makes it unhealthy in case of getting splints, i think that is the right word) or a plastic fence made of recycled stuff that is ultra low maintenance.

I've been putting off fixing the fence mainly because of the trees and bushes (which now reach about a meter through the fence) that have been growing there for 19 years or so. Its kinda difficult to kill the things we planted by ourselves. The damn bushes were supposed to be midget versions. Now they are 2,5m high and more than 3 meters wide. Each.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:54 am
Minor Diety

Anything is possible!

With a lopper and hedge cutter (see below) you can clear the lot in half a day. I've reduced and removed a bunch of conifers like that before.

Fences are pretty easy to maintain. I'd get a treated fence and give it a coat of fence paint for protection. Here, both are pretty cheap. The fence I could get for £50 and the paint for £5. Will last about 3 years until i need to think about giving it another coat of paint.

Are you renting? Is it your home?

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:56 am
Minor Diety

Built a BBQ table, restoring an old cast iron garden bench (the wood), and ripped out the upstairs stair rails, and replacing it all with newel post, spindles, top and bottom rails :)

Kreg jigging like a mofo!

Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]