Satis, your thoughts on win10 
Stranger

Post Satis, your thoughts on win10
?

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:14 am
Felix Rex

Post Re: Satis, your thoughts on win10
I haven't played with it yet. However, I have Windows 8.1 on my touchscreen laptop (and Windows 2012 on my work desktop) and I like it/them. The original Windows 8 was best with a touchscreen, but they've addressed most of those issues I think. I'm fairly certain Windows 10 will be pretty good when it comes out and I plan on putting it on my future builds.

Since I have an MSDN subscription thanks to my job, once it comes out I'll probably install it on a virtual machine and play with it. I'll probably upgrade my laptop too, since it should be free.

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

My colleague at work has the same subscription and has been messing around with it, he says it looks pretty good so far. :-)

- Coach

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:44 am
Minor Diety

Personally keeping the fuck away from this. Windows 7 is just fine.

Wed May 25, 2016 8:00 am
Stranger

I used win10 for a while, then the controller on my SSD went balls up. Had to reinstall, decided to stick with 7. Win10 sure was no "Vista" episode but Win7 is the better one in my opinion.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed May 25, 2016 10:33 am
Felix Rex

I run Windows 10 on my media pc and my laptop. It's fine. You have to change some of your habits, but otherwise there's not much of a difference. The start menu is a bit different. It's better to search for programs by typing their name, rather than looking for them in the Start menu. Pin stuff to Start if you use it a lot. Other than that, not much of a difference in my opinion. I've been running Windows 2012r2 at work for years, though, so I may just be used to it (2012r2 is the server version of Win 10).

Going forward, you'll want to switch to it for gaming. Updates to Directx or vulan or whatever aren't going to come to Win7.

Sat May 28, 2016 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

My desktop is still on Windows Vista. :roll:

It's 10 years old, and I need to build a new one eventually. Not gonna bother upgrading to a higher Windows version unless I absolutely have to.

- Coach

Sun May 29, 2016 7:08 am
Stranger

When you buy an ssd, you pretty much have to.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun May 29, 2016 8:40 am
Felix Rex

Vista is terrible. You really should consider going to Windows 7 at least. But like I said, I don't have an issue with Windows 10. It's mostly fine, though Microsoft is getting a bit aggressive with the whole marketing and ads thing and whatnot. I expect they may be facing another monopoly lawsuit soon, with some of the crap they're pulling, like the forced upgrades from win7 to win10, the ads on the start menu, and all the weird traffic that Win10 sends back to them.

All those things can be worked around, but they shouldn't have to be. Some references in case you care:

forced upgrades: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3075729/windows/fearing-forced-windows-10-upgrades-users-are-disabling-critical-updates-at-their-own-risk.html
ads in the start menu: http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-disable-windows-10-start-menu-ads/
win10 phoning home: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

The phone home thing I haven't heard much about lately, so either people are forgetting about it, or maybe MS has scaled it back some. Who knows.

Tue May 31, 2016 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]