It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Satis's cars 
Felix Rex

Post Satis's cars
So, I've been driving this gold Chevrolet Cavalier since mid 2004. That's 11 years and about 100,000 miles (161,000km roughly). Unfortunately, someone wasn't paying attention and rear-ended me at near-highway speeds on March 23rd. I wasn't injured beyond some whiplash, but my car was totaled. :(

My old ride

As a result, I had to go buy a new car. Unlike much of Europe, public transportation isn't very useful in Dallas unless you happen to live and work in specific convenient locations. I suppose I could've bought another inexpensive used car, but that's not a lot of fun. Besides, I'm a professional now. I've been thinking about buying a car for years.

So I made a short list of cars I found interesting and spent most of Saturday doing test drives. By Monday I knew which one I wanted, hit a couple dealerships, and signed the contracts by the late evening. They kept the car until Tuesday to install some anti-theft stuff and window tint and I picked it up that evening. So this is my first full day with my new car. :mrgreen:

At any rate, I got a 2015 Chevrolet SS.

It's considered a 'sports sedan'. It's basically a fairly large, 4 door car with a 415hp V8 in it. It's the same engine as in a standard Corvette. It goes 0-60mph in 4.7 seconds (about 0-96kmh), with a top speed of 165mph (about 265km/h). The trade off is that it gets terrible gas mileage, which is 16.8L/100km. Is that how you guys measure fuel economy, in liters per 100km? Weird.

I'll post some actual pics of my real car once I get them, instead of stock pics. I just though I'd let you guys know. Now I'm in debt for a few years. :roll: I'm still learning all the little neat tricks and stuff, but let's just say it's probably the nicest car I've ever driven.

In case there's any curiosity, the other cars I test drove before deciding on the SS were the BMW 335i, BMW 328i, Scion FR-S, and Nissan 370z. The BMWs were probably more luxurious, and certainly had way better gas mileage, but they were much smaller and didn't have the power. The Scion isn't bad for its price bracket, but its internal niceties are of a much cheaper variety. It also had some stupid over-sized exhaust to make it appeal to the crowd that likes those things, but it's a huge turn-off for me. The 370z is really nice... whereas the SS is a effectively a modern 70s American muscle car, the 370z NISMO is a pure sports car. It's fast, handles really well, and is pretty damn sexy. It also has no back seat at all and a trunk so small it's practically useless. It'd be a fun second car, but doesn't make sense as a main vehicle, in my opinion.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:38 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

Post Re: Satis's cars
I'm still driving my Saab 93 from JAN 2002. No plans on replacing it at this point.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:46 am
Minor Diety

We just bought us a volkswagen touran, because it's much bigger than our current car (VW golf) and has 7 seats, which is a plus if you want to transport half a football team with your car: Image

~King of Thieves~

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:45 am
Stranger

The Touran is a looker. I like the exterior design. But Satis, wtf 415hp, much too early for your midlife crisis and especially mid-life crisis in a chevrolet. :D. I test drove a jaguar xf about 2-3 years ago, fantastically quiet, awesome diesel engine and absolutely fucking useless in snow. Got stuck in snow about 300m from the dealership.

Edit: I just noticed that someone has photoshopped away the lifting jack's covers from the picture of saab. One would have to be a magician to change any tires without those.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:32 pm
Felix Rex

I always wanted a fast car. Now I have one. :wink: And man, I've been experiencing a mid-life crises for the last 10 years or so.

These are some pics of my actual car, rather than stock generic pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Sexy car man. :) I'm guessing gas mileage isn't really a priority in the US either, what with the relatively cheap gas prices? Not that the mileage is terrible or anything.

Yeah, I imagine living in the US having a car is pretty much a necessity, but if you're making decent money and have a license there is really no reason to not have one anyway. Except if you live in a place like downtown NY, of course.

I was in Paris for a day 2 weeks ago and they actually barred all cars with odd license plate numbers from entering the city because of a smog alert. :rolleyes: The bright side was that all public transport in the city was free during this time to compensate for it (and to further dissuade people from using a car obv). All the metro stations were open, buses didn't check tickets etc. Convenient for a tourist.

I still haven't gotten around to getting a license or a car, as I am living on a tiny island and have little or no use for it. Not helping me with the ladies, as for some bizarre reason everyone in Malta IS car crazy, but other than that it's all cool. Just to give you an idea, the entire surface of the country of Malta is 246 km / 95 square miles. Plano is 71.6 sq mi (185.5 km2), Tallin is 159.2 km2 (61.5 sq mi).

Where is the first big road trip going to be going to? :)

- Coach

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:50 am
Felix Rex

Yea, gas prices are pretty cheap right now. They also always seem to be cheaper in Texas than the rest of the country, probably thanks to all the oil refineries. I'm not complaining. On the flip side, the care requires top tier gas, so it's more expensive than the cheap stuff I would pump into my old car. *shrug*

Road trip.... definitely thinking about it. Not sure if we're going to go to Austin, San Antonio or New Orleans first. I kinda wanna try getting this sucker up to 165mph. :twisted:

Lol at how tiny Malta is. Dallas/Fort Worth is practically a single mega-city nowadays. It's freaking gigantic. According to Wikipedia, it's "9,286 square miles (24,100 km2) of total area: 8,991 sq mi (23,290 km2) is land, while 295 sq mi (760 km2) is water".

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, you could fit Malta in there a few times. :roll:

The irony is that its size does not mean that it's easy to get around. There are no highways or other fast direct transportation systems (metro etc), so everything is done by car and bus over normal aka crappy roads. Used to be that you basically had to go through the town centers to get anywhere, a remnant of older times + general lack of alternatives due to space limitations. In the last 15 years they've at least managed to circumvent that problem by building bypasses wherever possible.

Having said that, even in non-peak hours, it takes around 30 minutes to travel the 18 km from my house to my job by car. :lol:

- Coach

Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:48 pm
Minor Diety

Jesus that's alot of power :O Bet it's fun to drive though.

I've had this Ford Focus for about a year now and it's fine. It's just a 1.6 petrol engine with 100hp. Paid £6k for it and it had 62k miles on the clock, so not bad value. The power is all i need, and its overall a good car with good features. Fuel efficiency is about 30-35 mpg around town, and on the motorway it depends on what kind of mood i'm in. Half the time, i want to get there quick, which means I average 80-90mph at around about 33mpg. If i'm chilled out, I go about 60-70mph and get 40-45mpg.

I'm not really into cars that much. I see them as pretty expensive for what they're ultimately designed to do. I do get the enjoyment of driving, though, I see that as a tad irresponsible. My next car will probably be a diesel (i like low revs) and a 1.8l.

Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:53 pm
Minor Diety

Is that a stock picture with a blank license plate or is that actually your car with the license plate blurred by you? If it's the latter...nice driveway! :)

- Coach

Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:18 pm
Minor Diety

No here's my actual car...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:18 pm
Felix Rex

I got my first car when I was 23, which is really, really old in the US. I was in college for a bit, where I lived on campus, so no need. Then I joined the Army and went overseas. It's only when I got back that I really needed a car, at which point I got a 1986 Chevy Nova.

It was a piece of crap, but the freedom it granted me was incredible. So, though my car was nothing special, I drove it a lot. It wasn't about the car, it was about the freedom. So... anyway, I understand how someone may not particularly care about their vehicle. It's just a means to an end, and if that's all you care about (getting there), then it makes no sense to get a car that's expensive.

On the other hand, if you enjoy the journey, or want to, it's a different story. :) My SS is fun as hell to drive, though I'm still very careful with it. Every time some moron doesn't look where he's going and nearly hits me, I'm tempted to chase him down and choke the crap out of him. Once I get more used to its size and how to drive it, I imagine it's going to be really, really fun. Hell, it's nice knowing I can blow away 99% of the cars out there if I felt like it, even though I typically choose not to.

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Can someone please buy me one of these? Thanks so much.

- 2.0l (D) auto
- estate
- mid trim

Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:05 am
Felix Rex

A diesel? I hear those things are really good for the environment.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I dunno about the US or the UK, but in Belgium they've started barring cars with older Diesel engines from entering the inner cities. Pretty sucky if you have an old car.

http://www.xpats.com/brussels-and-antwe ... ity-centre

- Coach

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next