It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
a cure for alzheimer's? 
Felix Rex

Post a cure for alzheimer's?
I don't know about you guys, but I've got Alzheimer's in my family history and it's some freaky crap. But, there may be a cure... and even better, it's already a drug in use for skin cancer. So far it's being tested on mice, but it actually reverses alzheimer's. Freaking cool.

Quote:
A skin cancer drug may rapidly reverse pathological, cognitive and memory deterioration associated with Alzheimer’s disease, according to new research published on Thursday.

Bexarotene, a drug that is currently used to combat T cell lymphoma, appeared to reverse plaque buildup and improve memory in the brains of mice with Alzheimer’s disease by reducing levels of beta-amyloid plaques in the brain that cause mental deficits in Alzheimer’s disease.
Inside the living brain of a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease

Researchers said the findings were particularly promising because the drug worked with “unprecedented speed” by reducing soluble amyloid by 25 percent and its buildup in the brain by 50 percent in three days.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/201202 ... rotein.htm

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post Re: a cure for alzheimer's?
I remember seeing this in a documentary about a month or two ago on BBC. Something of great interest to me, partially due to the fact my favourite author (Terry Pratchett as you all know by now) is suffering from it and because I also watched the husband of one of my grandma's best friends suffer and die from it.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

Quote:
combat T cell

T virus, zombie apocalypse ahoy, time to stock up on those shotgun shells. :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:23 pm
Minor Diety

I wish they hurried up already with completely replaceable bodies and cures for brain diseases like this... I can't keep this body in pristine condition for much longer! Haha.

RIght now it's looking like we'll have to opt for the beta if it does come around in time, but I want the freaking gold master. :(

- Coach

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:30 am
Felix Rex

I'll settle for something that just keeps me alive long enough for them to figure out how to reverse aging, or transfer my consciousness to a new body. I'm fine with either.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]