It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 4:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
and the results are in.. 
Marquis

You have to get 60% in a-levels to get a C which is generally regarded as a pass. To actually fail you have to get less than 20% or something like that :roll:

Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:26 am
Felix Rex

oh my god. That's so crazy. a-g? We got a-f, minus the e. A is great, B is good, C is ok, D is crap, F is FAIL! 20% to fail? That's just weak. Hell, basically, you only need to know 20, 40, or 60% of the material to pass a class. That's so lame. Man....shit, I would've gotten a degree in civil engineering by now if that were the case in the US.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Lol...well, you gotta take in account the difficulty of the classes in regards to the grades you must get to apss too eh. But idd, even if that's thecase 20% to pass is lame since you didn't get crap about the classes then. :/

For the record, 10 and 11 aren't passeable grades here. However, you don't have to do them again in summler of the same year, but if you fail, you're taking those 10's and 11's with you again regardless.

For example; i got 5 10's and 11's, and i get spared from them this exams around (thus summer exams). If i fail i'd have to do those 5 over again too tho.

It used to be worse, three years ago you ahd to get 12's to even lose an exam for summer exams. That screwed me over a few times back then.

So, basically 12 is "the" passeable grade.

- Coach

Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:58 pm
King

see the other thread for instructions on cannibutter. :)

Cannibal Butter? I've got to wait till after the 21 of August fo the results cos I'm on holiday.

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:30 am
Marquis

not cannibal butter you jackass...some people :roll:
i guess you still are young and naive though

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:37 am
King

not cannibal butter you jackass...some people :roll:
i guess you still are young and naive though

Yep.

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:40 am
Felix Rex

lol. I'm not touching cannibal butter. heheh. What were we talking about again?

Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
King

lol. I'm not touching cannibal butter. heheh. What were we talking about again?

Exam Results?

Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:53 am
Felix Rex

oh yea. I've still got 2 weeks before I take my next exam, so I think this thread may get stale.

Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Super Moderator

You have to get 60% in a-levels to get a C which is generally regarded as a pass. To actually fail you have to get less than 20% or something like that :roll:

Yea - and 45+% [maybe it's 40, can't quite remember] is a pass, anything below that is ungraded. Well, it is in CIE exams.

Most of my physics class got ungraded in AS Physics - we had been taught the NZ syllabus with a few extras thrown in..... stupid teachers...... I passed though - woo! We literally knew barely half of the long answers paper.

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:03 pm
King

Franny wrote:

Yea - and 45+% [maybe it's 40, can't quite remember] is a pass, anything below that is ungraded. Well, it is in CIE exams.

Most of my physics class got ungraded in AS Physics - we had been taught the NZ syllabus with a few extras thrown in..... stupid teachers...... I passed though - woo! We literally knew barely half of the long answers paper.

Lucky you I have to wait another month for my results on the 21st of August and I'm on holiday and don't get back till 24th-25th

Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:21 am
Super Moderator

Hehe - nah - this was CIE exams from the end of last year - we got them in march.

Meh - here they are:
AS Level:
English - 78% (B) [this was really messed up, completely opposite to the results in school exams - one guy who was about average for our class got 100% :? ]

Maths - 86% (A) [Heh - I beat most of the people in my class, yet somehow I'm in the lower class this year - but we've got a better teacher]

Biology - 65% (C) [Not bad - it was a pretty hard exam, and this was our first year of doing bio]

Physics - 54% (D) [Quite shocking really, but I was one of the higher marks, to be honest we hadn't been taught a lot of the exam..... not forgetting it, but never having seen it... :x ]

IGCSE:

Chemistry - 93% (A*) [Easy exam, easy course, *yawn*]

And for Sixth Form Certificate [NZ qualification]:
English - 1 [?!!! random]
Maths - 2 [Again, ?!!! - people I beat got a 1, grrr]
Physics - 2 [Random - I came 7th top overall in 6th form [200 students] in the end of year exam]
Bio - 3 [Yet again, rather crap, as we did AS bio, and the rest of the 6th from did SFC bio, meaning they had an easier course by far, yet we weren't scaled accordingy]

No matter though - SFC counts for almost nothing

FYI SFC is internally assessed according to the School Certificate results, based on the school's performance as a whole in SC for 5th form [eg, the number of "1s" allocated to the school is based on how many results were over 90% in 5th form physics], and is taken from the internal exams. It's based likeso:
1 - top 2% of country
2 - top 5% of country
3 - top 20%
4 - 35%-ish
5 - roughly 50% [ie, average mark]
6 - etc...
9 - ow. you don't want a 9

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:52 am
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
:shock: erm..does that mean your happy with them or no?

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:09 am
Super Moderator

No because I wanted higher results

Yes because quite frankly we were screwed over these exams, and many people got ungraded in bio and physics. We used books on the NZ syllabus, and were given only a few extra notes. English was the exception though. We were given extension classes to help with that, since it was an extension exam. the weird thing was that everyone [yes, that means everyone] got either 70-79%, or 97+%. And the order of results made no sense either, as I mentioned.

Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:17 pm
Minor Diety

heh...how do you get in the top 2% and 5% with those grades? :/ Not that they're bad, anything but, but an average of about 70% isn't OVERLY impressive eh? Or mebbe it's the N-Z system, dunno. (btw, the 70% is not counting the chemistry result, since it was in another part of your post :) )

*totally unrelated side-step*
Hey J, do you know the grading remarks of Belgian uni's? I thought it was something like

70%= distinction
80%= great distinction
90%= greatest distinction
95%+=greatest distinction with recommendations from the jury
*end sidestep*

And why do you have only 5 classes? Or am i getting that wrong again? :)

- Coach

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next