It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Top 100 sci-fi and fantasy books 
Felix Rex

Post Top 100 sci-fi and fantasy books
So, NPR (National Public Radio) had a top 100 sci-fi and fantasy books of all time poll and apparently 60,000 people voted. They now have the list online.

https://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/13908584 ... tasy-books

For people that would like some help picking out the right one, someone built a flowchart:
(warning, an enormous graphic)
http://www.box.net/shared/static/a6omcl ... sn3o8m.jpg

And an interactive version
http://www.sfsignal.com/interactive/npr100.htm

Top 10:
1.The Lord Of The Rings
2.The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
3. Ender's Game
4. Dune
5. A Song Of Ice And Fire Series
6. 1984
7. Fahrenheit 451
8. Foundation Trilogy
9. Brave New World
10.American Gods

I feel pretty good about myself... I read them all but 8 (Foundation trilogy) and 10 (American Gods). I actually read a prequel to Foundation but wasn't so impressed. *shrug* Never even heard of American Gods.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Post Re: Top 100 sci-fi and fantasy books
Well seems like i have a lot of reading to do. At least i read the top 2, and i finished reading 1984 yesterday.

~King of Thieves~

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:09 am
Stranger

Uh, oh, well i better just go and ignore this topic then :D.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:24 am
Minor Diety

You've probably seen quite some movies based on books in that top 100, that must count for something Peltz. :wink:

Btw i still think that LotR is a bit overhyped, i'm not saying i didn't like reading the books, they just lacked pace at times. I've read (series of) books i liked better.

~King of Thieves~

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:02 am
Stranger

Well i've seen the lotr movies of course (twice). I've seen the original dune movie (own it), the tv series(own it) and read a book called "The winds of Dune" which is written by Brian Herbert (Franks heir i guess) and Kevin Anderson which is compared to the movies a less action oriented and focuses on Paul's mother and complex morality issues. Not a bad read but considering Satis repertoire it might seem somewhat simplistic. Its a small book though, perhaps readable in two/three weekends, depending on ones definition of powerreading.

I really like the Dune Tv series. I like how Paul changes across the episodes and becomes something what a normal person would call a psycho or weirdo, I like it more than the original film. Its on three discs with a total running time of about 6 hours i think.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:31 am
Felix Rex

I've seen that version of Dune... you would probably enjoy the original (first) dune book, as the tv series very closely mirrors it, more so than the first movie. I really liked the first movie too, though... the sense of alien wonder it created was freaking awesome.

Anyway, I think LoTR should enjoy 1st place not so much because it's an excellent book (though it is), but because of the impact it's had on literature. I looked through the remainder of the list and I've read a large percentage of them... I'm so glad I actually read aggressively! :roll: I plan on rounding out the top 10 when I get a chance, but I currently have a serious back log of books to read. Shiny loves to buy books. I can't give her too much shit, though... several of the series that she's picked up ended up in that list somewhere... eg the Sword of Truth series, the Belgariad series, and the tattooed chick series (Kurshiel's Legacy).

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:29 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Not surprised Ice and Fire was in there with the hugely popular TV adaptation that was out this year. Fantastic series, absolutely love the books and the TV series. Of the top ten I've read LotR (hate the book, love the films/story in general), watched Hitchhiker (never read it, would love to but the book is pretty expensive for the size of it!), and that's it. I have heard of American Gods and was actually going to buy it but bought a Stephen Baxter book instead.

Of the others, Ox has told me to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? many a time and I will, honest! I also recently bought the first Dark Tower book and have read a short story based on the universe, but not gotten round to reading it yet (I do love Stephen King though), and The Stand is one of my favourites of his ever. I haven't read Stardust but love the film and again I want to buy it but it's expensive considering the book is actually tiny. Small Gods and Going Postal I've obviously read, being the huge Pratchett geek I am though I'm surprised they're the two that made it in; generally speaking Mort, Night Watch and Thief of Time are the preferred books among fans. I haven't read the Farseer Trilogy but have recently read two other books of Robin Hobb, The Dragon Keeper and Dragon Haven and they are absolutely fantastic. Definitely will buy more of her stuff. Ashamed to say that's about it.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Heh i even own the Hitchhiker, in english. You can come over and borrow it if you want. :wink:

~King of Thieves~

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:39 pm
Minor Diety

lol holiday plus book to read, sounds like a plan!

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

you guys are what, a 30 minute drive apart? :roll: Silly tiny Europe.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:19 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

More like a 1 hour plane journey :P

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

lol... I can't even get out of Texas in 1 hour in a plane. :roll: Well, maybe if we fly straight north, but I don't consider Oklahoma to be worth mentioning.

I'm still working on the Necronomicon... about half way done. After that.... not sure yet, but I may have to hit some of the books on this list. We have several that are on that list that I haven't read.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

On a vaguely related note: I finally watched the first season of Game of Thrones, and fucking hell that's some gooooooood TV!! A lot of people (on here too :roll: ) told me that I should totally watch it cause it's awesome and I guess they were right. :P

Do we have a game of thrones thread? Or do we talk about it in the movies thread? I want to yap about it.

- Coach

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:54 am
Minor Diety

We can always make one, I've read all the books and love the series. New series out around april-ish next year, woo!

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

I've read all the books but he most recent one (A dance with dragons), and loved the show. If you like the show and don't mind reading, read the books... they're damned near identical, except the books get time to go into more detail.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next