It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Civilisation V 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Civilisation V
Well I just had a rather infuriating session.

My last game was too easy, so I decided to start again on the harder difficulty.

It was going well, I was mid-table in terms of score and suddenly, unprovoked, EVERYONE attacked me.

The difficulty slider in this game implies only 2 things:

a) Statistically buffed AI opponents, as opposed to more intelligent
b) Increased aggression onto the human player

Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:16 am
Minor Diety

Just played another on the same difficulty setting.

This time I got put on my own continent and nobody is attacking me. Got bored. I guess the AI can't handle seabourne invasions / attacks.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:53 pm
Minor Diety

I think i'm now at a point where I can bash out a review.

Praise
- Graphical polish. The icons and general appearance is impressive.
- No unit stacking. Makes sense and requires you to think more carefully about which unit types you build and where you position them.
- Policy adoption. Much more open than before.
- Money and happiness is now something that i UNDERSTAND and can therefore control
- City states. Adds another, more natural dimension of Civ types.

Criticism
- Stability. There are some CTD, glitch issues which kills the immersion.
- Too fast. There are too few techs, units and civ's and this makes the earlier eras feel too brief.
- Somewhat faulty tech-trees. At times I have access to some units / buildings too early or too late, in comparison with other techs that I already have.
- Somewhat faulty AI. No seabourne attacks / invasions. Excessively aggressive on-land. They gang-up on the human.
- Weak diplomacy. Consists mainly of useless requests for open borders and coop pacts that don't really mean anything. Friendships far too volatile.
- Poor control of trade. No real method of making your resources count.
- Annoying load-screen narration.
- Annoying and unskippable intro movies.

Conclusion

I am very harsh with my ratings and so would give this a 2/5. I will be able to bump this up to a 3/5 with some kind of WW2 scenario, probably. Or alternatively with mods, it can also get to a 3/5. For now, vanilla Civ 5 is only really a 2/5.

To give you an idea of my experience, I started off playing on the easy difficulties, on a huge random map as either Rome, Russia or China. I found these early games too easy because I would expand like crazy and eventually dominate them. It may be worth mentioning at this point that i haven't yet reached the Future era.

So I bumped up the difficulty to medium and found it still too easy. I then tried to play on the huge "Earth" map, but was grossly disappointed. Italy consisted of merely 8 tiles.

Finding the early eras somewhat unrewarding, I bumped up the difficulty to Prince then King, on huge random maps, but this time starting at the Industrial era. However, the other Civs would all gang-up on me. Some civs would have superior technology to me VERY early on, which leads me to believe the difficulty slider merely buffs the ability, not intelligence of the opponents.

I then tried 1 more time, on the same map settings and difficulty, but was placed in a medium sized continent of my own. Interesting i thought. Unfortunately it became rather boring. The other civs were too busy fighting among themselves and totally ignored me. I was free to do all the research I wanted and it because obvious this was going to be too easy.

So i'm stuck at the moment. I would have enjoyed a team-islands type game but the AI seems incapable of seabourne attacks. My next step is to perhaps play a WW2 scenario since that may solve the problems regarding early-era dissatisfaction and ganging-up. A tech, unit and building overhaul mod would be welcome too. :)

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:34 am
Minor Diety

I remember disliking vanilla Civ IV too, but the patches and expansions (especially Beyond the Sword) made it a great game later. So I hope that will happen with this instalment as well. Civ IV also had lots of stability issues, why do they always rush their games?

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:50 am
Minor Diety

Probably cos there's no financial consequence.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:03 am
Felix Rex

lol.... man. Derf takes a game that's got a universal score around 90%.. and gives it 40%.

:jade: :jade: out of 5

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yes but unlike other media, game reviewers are rarely objective. They all hope to get early review copies, and they know that rating a game poorly reduced the chance considerably.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:34 am
Felix Rex

true enough, and i appreciate Derf's candor. The jade levels are quite entertaining as well. Something tells me he could get a game with perfect graphics, incredible depth, and it also gives you oral sex while you're playing it, and it would be lucky to obtain 4 jades out of 5.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Weak diplomacy in TBS games is an almost instant boner destroyer. :(

What could save that is a CIV5 MP games with 3-4 people and some AI. I've played some Civ and Civ-style games in MP and that was awesome because a) diplomacy becomes TIGHT and pacts and tech/financial exchanges are hard negotiations and b) no one has an inherent advantage because of being better clickers/having more time to focus since everyone works within their own turn/time.

- Coach

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:39 am
Minor Diety

Kind of an update, but since Civ V is not really playable, I had a look at the mods for Civ IV and was very surprised to see they've actually stabilised Rise Of Mankind, which is an overhaul mod, adding a shitload of resource types, buildings, units, techs, etc.

Of course, having felt somewhat robbed of money from Civ V's rather poor release, I found it morally acceptable to torrent Civ IV.

I'm kinda re-hooked on Civ IV now.

Civ V will take at least a year or two before it becomes playable thanks to mods.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:12 am
Minor Diety

Hahaha!

Weren't you the guy who did an all-nighter on Civ V just 2 weeks ago? Your gaming behaviour is so erratic it's awesome. :)

That also explains why you weren't online for some SC2 ass-whooping yesterday actually.

- Coach

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:17 am
Minor Diety

Hehe, yeah. Played till 1.30 am last night.

But i'll log into Steam tonight since i'm always down (depending on morale) for a SC game.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:33 am
Felix Rex

/me gives it a week before Derf rails against how crappy Civ IV is

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Well i came across a hitch last night. I quit the campaign cos all of a sudden, 50% of Civ's declared war on me. They weren't even angry with me originally, they were pretty neutral. They werent allied, so they couldn't have coordinated such a move realistically.

I fired up a new campaign.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:30 am
Felix Rex

guess I overestimated on that week by about 7 days.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next