It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Alien Swarm ........ (OMFGBBQ!!!) 
Minor Diety

Post Re: Alien Swarm ........ (OMFGBBQ!!!)
In offline practice, you can pick up a mobile sentry somewhere. I was able to pick this up both as squad leader and as tech.
Dunno where you guys got in your runs, but in my second run (as tech) i did NOT take the sg with me. If you didn't totally suck at the game, you probably got to the part where the tech guy has to hack a terminal, meanwhile you get stormed by aliens (from 2 sides after a while). It's where the 'tutorial' says you can place your sentry.

small hint again: bring the sentry, because by the time i figured out how to hack that thing, 2 of my squad mates had died :shock:

Seem to have missed the space-button roll as well. And i think mouse 3 is secondary weapon as well? (only used 1 to weld/unweld doors)

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:31 am
Felix Rex

When I played the heavy weapons guy, I actually carried 2 sentries. I didn't have any primary weapon, though. :roll: Still, having two set up for the part that J's talking about was quite helpful.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:41 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I just found out that you can change between characters when you're playing in offline mode .. lol. Here i am always starting a new game to play another class.

Oh and i ran my medic in the same pit as in my first run, so there i died again. But this time i knew i could continue and made it to the finish with 2 characters.

I just tried installing my microphone btw. :D

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:47 am
Felix Rex

oh, good, now Ox won't be the only one with a Belgian accent. :mrgreen:

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

What, you mean Ox doesn't speak "Oxford English"? :P

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:43 am
Minor Diety

Haha, I barely speak any English :P ;) No but I find that the accent gets even amplified over a mic, for some reason. It's a lot less worse in actual conversation, but over a mic you're always saying sentences in isolation which tends to bring out the worst accent-wise. :roll:

I didn't get a response from you yesterday J so we played Alien Swarm with me, Derf, Shiny and Satis. Was a boatload of fun, especially Derf wandering off on his own all the time (classic), me being a bitch and letting others take my heat (not so classic, but I had to compensate for the lack of gear I could steal :P ) and most of all Satis running chasing me through a level while being headraped by them little headhumper aliens. :lol:

The bad news is that I was stuck as the tech guy because Satis stole the heavy weapons spot. :roll: But it wasn't all that awful really, the game really 'rewards' you for being a tech guy because you are very much indispensable to the team on most levels (literally, if you die with a locked door ahead the team is 100% fucked), and the whole 'solve mini puzzles while hell breaks loose around you' thing has its charm. :P

We stopped 60% or so into the campaign (on normal) as me and Derf had to work the next day. I actually worked till 3 AM after the game on something else too. :( But it was worth it. Can't wait to see the user-made stuff!! What a great gift from the V-men.

P.S. we may want to reconsider Derf's role. Not that he does a bad job, but his playing style kinda is at odds with the leader's squad reinforcing aura. :P But that'd mean he'd have to give up his shotty...mmm.

- Coach

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:10 am
Felix Rex

Only heavy weapons can really run off into the front like he does without screwing the team in the process. :roll: Next time I'll play tech or something so someone else can use the heavy.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:26 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, I started out staying close and doing alot of "team-worky" stuff, but I soon found out the leader doesn't really have any obviously leader abilities (except apparent radius bonuses Satis mentioned), so toward the 2nd half of our session, i evolved back into my natural recon habits :) So yeah, not much of an officer at all :D

However, i would argue that recon could be handy.... e.g., i once stumbled across 2 massive aliens when i was ahead on recon duty and it worked out pretty well, cos during my retreat (and having shouted "oh shit! what the fuck! sentry! sentry!), Satis had setup a Sentry and we dealt with the situation quite well.

Maybe im more adept at Tech? Since Tech moves the quickest? That is of course, if someone fancies the Officer position. [edit]... or whatever. Maybe Rinox can try Officer since he seems to be more nautrally inclined to direct, and I can try heavy?

The whole game was fun as hell though. Shiny's "what-does-this-button-do?" momments at the start were funny as hell. Mostly a joke on Ox since he got a few grenades in the back :D

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:33 am
Minor Diety

derf wrote:
However, i would argue that recon could be handy.... e.g., i once stumbled across 2 massive aliens when i was ahead on recon duty and it worked out pretty well, cos during my retreat (and having shouted "oh shit! what the fuck! sentry! sentry!), Satis had setup a Sentry and we dealt with the situation quite well.

I also remember how you got skullfucked by those parasites because you always were 1000 metres away from any healing. :lol:

I wouldn't mind playing Officer next time, but I wouldn't mind being tech either. On the one hand I would say derf could make a perfect recon commando as tech (fast, decent weaponry, capable of taking tripmines etc.), on the other I realise that if he dies the mission may well be fucked for the rest of us. :P

- Coach

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:01 am
Minor Diety

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/07 ... ell-kinda/

:demon:

- Coach

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:33 am
Minor Diety

Nah man, my survivability is pretty good. Ok i got fucked by parasite once, but who knew about them anyway?

Oh, and i LOVE the idea of running off on recon duty and setting mines :D

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:26 am
Count

This was indeed fun but has a pretty big learning curve for me. I have never played a game like it so I was and still am a bit wtf does this do state of mind. Sorry for all the friendly fire. The good thing was as the medic I could at least heal the damage I did. :rifle:

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:27 am
Minor Diety

Nah, you actually did fine by my books. We always had healing when it was needed, so yeah i guess that's good.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:29 am
Minor Diety

Yeah Shiny did fine imho. Maybe we should ration our healing more in the future but that's something we'll get a feel for along the way. Same with sentry use. :)

- Coach

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:57 am
Felix Rex

yea, good, looking forward to another run in the near future. Interesting at going first person, though I think I'll avoid it for now.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next