It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next
Team Fortress 2 
Stranger

Why do you even worry about such a thing. In a random server with random people what one thinks of their skill level matters as much as a fart in a tornado. Score in a random fight with random people only shows that one has learned how to abuse some class or place. Unless one is fighting a clan vs clan match there is no point in trying to classify oneself because in a real fight one could find themselves face down in the dirt real quick.

Half the people are just trying to score an odd frag, about 6 people try to achieve the objective and the rest, well, they shouldnt be playing the game at all.

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:10 pm
Felix Rex

I usually try to win. If that gets annoying, I just go for kills. If that doesn't work, I find a new server. :roll:

Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Why do you even worry about such a thing. In a random server with random people what one thinks of their skill level matters as much as a fart in a tornado. Score in a random fight with random people only shows that one has learned how to abuse some class or place. Unless one is fighting a clan vs clan match there is no point in trying to classify oneself because in a real fight one could find themselves face down in the dirt real quick.

Half the people are just trying to score an odd frag, about 6 people try to achieve the objective and the rest, well, they shouldnt be playing the game at all.

Wow Peltz, what did I do to deserve your TF2 ire? :P When I say 'kills' I mean 'points', I'm really not just going 'WAAA-AAAH' (well mostly not) for 3 kills on a suicide mission that doesn't help the team. My favorite classes are engineer, scout and medic (and to a lesser extent heavy), not exactly frag machines. ;) I get more points from point capping, healing, teleporting etc than actually fragging people - even if I am pretty good at that as a scout now.

As for clan matches...sure, but then what a clanner does in his clan matches doesn't mean he's good at pubs either. I'm just saying, it doesn't really matter either way. It's just different.

Btw, did you hear about that research on men losing causing them to suffer testosterone drops? At board games, card games, sports, even recently during the elections where male voters acually suffered significant testosterone drops following the loss of their candidate (McCain). :o So yeah, once in a while I just like dominating random 10-yr olds on the intarwebz. Makes me feel like a big man. :D

- Coach

Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:55 pm
Stranger

Wow, did it really sound so bad? well that was not the intention. the idea was that you should play the game for fun and pay less attention how you compare to the others, especially in a game where two teams fight against each other because never ever will you find exactly the same circumstances. And when every variable is random there is really no need to draw conclusions wether you have become better or worse, although the idea of playing more and becoming worse is well beyond comprehension.

EDIT: Well it could happen in a situation where the best of the best starts playing against people who lack any skills or understanding of the game. That would probably hurt the skills of the good player.

Oh and the scout is fragmeister incarnate. As long as you dont go face to face with the heavy/soldier the scout can very easily overcome their adversaries. And you get a point for baseball stun.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:04 am
Minor Diety

It just sounded a little like you were telling me off for liking that I was topping the tables somewhat consistently at pubs, but glad to know that wasn't the case. :)

Quote:
Wow, did it really sound so bad? well that was not the intention. the idea was that you should play the game for fun and pay less attention how you compare to the others, especially in a game where two teams fight against each other because never ever will you find exactly the same circumstances. And when every variable is random there is really no need to draw conclusions wether you have become better or worse, although the idea of playing more and becoming worse is well beyond comprehension.

Sure, but when you're in the top 5 of pretty much every game you play I don't think it's because you're not better than the rest. The team objectives notwithstanding, TF2 is all about twitchy shooting fun, and I don't think it'd be an exaggeration to say that I (and most PC people here) have more than enough skill in that department to pick up the pace pretty easily in a new game. :)

I didn't even know that scouts get a point for a sandman stun. Tbh I don't like the sandman...turns the scouts in an even more sissy version of himself. 95 HP = not cool. And scouts have a ton of weaknesses imho...apart from the heavy and soldier, inside a hallway he's easy pickings against a pyro or demo, and he doesn't stand a chance against any sort of sentry gun. 2-3 shots is often enough. Against snipers and spies tho, he kicks ass. ;) I rarely ever see a scout at the top of a table...always medics, engineers, heavies and soldiers.

- Coach

Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:03 am
Felix Rex

jeez, you two need to kiss and make up. :roll: Anyway, I hate scouts, they annoy me very much. I like setting them on fire, though that takes as much luck as skill. It's hard hitting anything with the flare gun, and a decent scout stays out of flamer range. When there are a lot of scouts, I to go engineer so my sentry whacks them.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hehehe, I'm not angry at Peltz :P I just don't agree with everything he said.

Sentry guns are a nightmare *shudders*

- Coach

Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:22 pm
Stranger

I guess i have played too many FPS games, im more interested in fights against really tough players, even taking a beating gives me more satisfaction than plowing through noobs. No effort = no gain, for me. The satisfaction comes from knowing that the more i play against them the better i become.

The way to take down pyro is stun, 1 or 2 blasts from the force and pistol whip the remaining hp. It has to be nearly perfect though or "roasted!"

EDIT: TF2 is all about twitchy shooting fun - Fun yes, twitchy shooting no. Because the bulk of the classes in TF2 move so slowly with the exception of the scout and the weapons use either a slow projectile (baseball, rocket, nades) or have a short range (flamer, melee, turret, shotgun). The problems with hitting in TF2 are mostly ping oriented because of the way weapons work in the game. In CoD for instance you press fire and the bullet is immediately at the end of the line of sight (or map border) in TF2 calculation on part of the shooter is required to guess where the target could possibly be once that slow rocket is fired.

Not to mention the shotguns of engineers/soldiers/pyros/scouts which i doubt are actually shotguns because there are like 6 pellets in a blast and somehow it is possible to miss from point blank range. They remind me of the scout/enineer pistol only that it fires 6 bullets at a time. It looks like a shotgun, sounds like a shotgun but in my mind its everything but a shotgun.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:51 pm
Minor Diety

Maybe 'twitchy' wasn't the right word, 'frantic' is a better one. The heavy is to slow in both movement and firing, but every other class is constantly jumping, rocketjumping, strafing, dodging and shooting. If you're not firing a rocket every few seconds as a soldier you're usually doing it wrong. :)

If you're used to the tempo of games like CS (like I used to be), TF2 takes a LOT of adapting. And I don't really care all that much about playing better players...I like it when a few good (better) players are on a server, but I don't really see where the fun is of getting raped over and over again (because that's what a really good player will do). It's not like we play games for a living, after all. I just want to have fun, and if that means getting some misplaced feelings of 1337ness from pwning servers full of random n44bs then so be it. ;)

I just find a few servers with regulars who are nice people and stick around, mostly.

- Coach

Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:05 am
Minor Diety

Amazing TF2 update going on - Demoman vs. Soldier, also, CRAFTING with spare items of your inventory.

Apparently, the red demoman and blue soldier have befriended each other outside of "work", which is not to the liking of the Announcer. She set up a competition in which the demomen have to kill as many soldiers as they can, and vice versa. The winning side at the end of the conflict will receive an exclusive, elusive bonus weapon. :)

All demoman and soldiers temporarily have a "counter" of how many of their counterparts they killed, and the tally is running into the millions. Soldiers (who i sided with) are still comfortably in the lead. :)

Check it all out here, in its glorious madness. Don't forget to navigate the dates/pages below.

http://www.teamfortress.com/war/part4/

Comics sequence:

http://www.teamfortress.com/war/administrator/
http://www.teamfortress.com/war/saxtonhale/
http://www.teamfortress.com/war/demo/

Crafting info:

http://www.teamfortress.com/crafting/

Yes Valve yes. More!! GOD I LOVE SAXTON HALE

- Coach

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:41 am
Felix Rex

How does the crafting thing work? Have you found any recipes? I've got all kinds of crap clogging my inventory... though they must've made the inventory space bigger since the last time I played. :roll:

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It's only been announced so far, haven't been any actual blueprints or anything. So no idea. Only know that the idea is to make use of all those useless doubles in your (indeed, expanded) inventory.

BTW when starting a round the announcer now goes "FRIENDSHIP ends in 50 seconds" instead of the usual announcements. And stuff like "How could you betray me like this! He may be your friend but I pay your salary!!". It's pretty funny. And the soldier/demoman overload makes for insane explosions mayhem on almost every server. :lol:

- Coach

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:41 am
Minor Diety

Crafting started, soldier vs demo update complete.

Here's a list of existing blueprints

http://www.tf2items.com/crafting/blueprints.php

In case you can't be bothered to work out the math, crafting a hat will take 81 items and a class-specific hat 112 or so. Gulp. And not just any weapons, for scrap metal, the basic component, you'll need 3 weapons of the same tier (primary, secondary, melee). And to make a class token you'll need 4 weapons of that class. etc.

So unless Satis is sitting on a SHITload of weapons I doubt he'll be crafting any hats soon. Class-specific weapons are, thankgod, a bit easier to craft.

The soldiers won the war over the demos...so they gained the new 'extra' item: a pair of boots that fill up the melee slot and reduce damage from rocket jumps. Sweet!!

http://www.teamfortress.com/war/victory/

Quote:
The gunboats

The 18th century was a time of rapid innovation; in the space of a single year, the two-storey building, the stage play, America, and the rocket launcher were all invented by the same man: Shakespearicles, the strongest writer who ever lived. Despite his powerful grasp of language and the ability to bench press 700 British pounds, several inventions eluded his iron grip—most tragically among them, stairs. For the next three hundred years, people who needed to get to the second floor used the only method available to them: shooting a rocket launcher at their feet. Yes, it was ridiculous, crippling, and awful, but what are you going to do? Not go to the second floor? That’s where your bed is.

Luckily, in 1857, a young bearded inventor named President Abraham Lincoln stumbled upon the answer: stairs. Unluckily, he never grasped the full import of his own invention, and died attempting to rocket jump up the world’s first staircase in his laboratory at Ford’s Theater. Horrified by this tragedy, mankind agreed never to invent anything again, turning its many scientists and scholars to that most noble endeavor, astrology.

It would not be until 1921 when hotheaded Pisces Franklin D Roosevelt, languishing in a hospital after losing both of his legs in a rocket-jumping accident, stumbled upon Lincoln’s notes and perfected the modern staircase, freeing people from the tyranny of the second floor as Lincoln intended.

No advancement has been made in the escalation sciences since… until now. Introducing the Gunboats, secondary-slot boots that reduce rocket jump damage by a huge amount, rendering stairs forever useless. What is the science behind these miracles of technology? Magic, probably.

In conclusion, why are you still reading this? These things are live, in the game, right now. Go go go!

- Coach

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:00 am
Felix Rex

Well, that's kinda lame. Oh well, I guess there's a point to collecting all the shit now. I think I've gotten virtually every weapon, so hats would be all I'd make. Well, whatever... I'll collect fallen shit until I run out of room, then screw around with turning them into scrap or whatever.

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:33 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I'm not gonna be crafting hats, too many items required...random weapon drop rate is actually pretty slow, you'd really need to pump in weeks of TF2 to collect enough shit to craft a hat with. I did craft the last two weapons I didn't have though (Axtinguisher and KGB). :)

Anyhow....create your own avatars/weapons/hats. Valve beckons you!

http://teamfortress.com/

- Coach

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next