It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 39  Next
Left 4 Dead 
Stranger

At the cliff place. It could be doable with one or two gas cans. Only one person jumps down, drops a gas can there. the others stay up with one gas can there. now the one who jumped down goes into the field and attracts the herd and shoots the gas can, the ones up on the cliff set the other can off and have beatiful view of burning zombies everywhere. Sounds good in theory.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:30 pm
Minor Diety

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:44 pm
Felix Rex

Shiny and I did a practice run on advanced with two bots. We croweded into the right bottom part of the drop... you can actually wedge yourself behind the wheel on the crop watering thing, so it reduces the possible attack zone even more. I think it's totally doable. Four people wedged in there, 2 meleeing, 2 firing until everything is dead. I seriously think it's doable.

I don't think gas cans are a good idea. Gas cans are too important for tank torching.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah, or for covering one of the entrance points of the barn if we've got enough molos. Those are, imho, more critical moments than the cornfield which shouldn't be so hard.

Good call on the right bottom corner...i'll try that tonight or so. Actually, I did the same thing but reconned with 3 bots on expert. Believe it or not, I did better than we did in many tries on the first time through. :o

We got an early tank which me and the bots blasted without fire (wtf) and only one incap. Then we moved on to the cornfield where I ran to the tractor, jumped on the hood and did some area control. Took a few hits but nothing major. 2 of the bots were incapped, but in the end we survived just fine with me and the other bot still green. So...dunno what that says about us. :P

Actually, I do know what it says: the bots have a lot of faults, but they have never-fail aim and can 'see' through the rows of corn. For human players things are too jumbled. They're also particularly good at picking off boomers and smokers before you really even see them.

So...one option I propose is that, should the going prove too tough, we have 3 players go idle at the cornfield and the other one lead them through it. I'll try it again tonight and if it works 2 times then this might actually not be such a bad idea (apparently you can go idle during a campaign and still finish it, as long as you're not idle at the end obviously, or don't disconnect completely).

Another suggestion is that we do the run-up to the cornfield with 4 autoshotties on one line. Because

A) the area is narrow, so we can cover everything on a straight line
B) we're likely to meet a tank there. In that case 4 autoshotties is always preferable to other weapons. Especially when we climb in the car transporter truck on the right side we can get a full salvo of to-the-face blasts in when it does its slow climbing routine.
C) almost every tactic in the cornfield favors shotty
D) we can change weapons 5 minutes later at the farmhouse anyways

all valid reasons I think. :)

As long as we remember to bring more molo's from the level before we should be ok anyway. :roll: I actually believe the last level was harder than usual on us because we were rolling so well with that jester dude, apart from me occasionally FF'ing everything in sight. Cause that's what the AI Director does; scale the game to your efforts.

- Coach

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:13 am
Felix Rex

Yea, you're probably right. Shiny and I did some more test gaming on the level tonight... unfortunately our stupid server like letting us get a couple levels, then just randomly switching what level we were on. :roll: Stupid thing. But we got through the 4th level with minimal difficulties (this is on advanced, though). Just practice to tune up the tracking and killing routines, really. I think we'll continue this routine for the rest of the week...by Saturday we should be fully primed for an expert run. If we can nail blood harvest then we can do a run on some of the other campaigns that others need.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I'm doing the same, but focusing mostly on the last level. While it sure is fun, I have my doubts about the usefulness of playing it through on advanced for anything else but terrain knowledge. The difference between advanced and expert is immense. Not even close to the difference between normal and advanced. :cry:

We just need to keep some basic rules in mind like running aheard right after a horde moment (the common infected in some radius will all be as good as gone) until we run into another group common infected. Or not bothering with shooting the tank when it's on fire UNLESS you have an absolutely clear and safe shot. We're better off being on the lookout for a hunter or smoker during a tank moment. Cause that's usually when we are scattered the most.

And of course, I'll be more than happy to help Derf and Shiny to the expert campaigns they don't have yet. I think Derf has No Mercy on expert, but that's it right? I think he died on Death Toll and Dead Air. I am positive only me and Satis made it in dead air, not sure about death toll. :)

- Coach

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:47 am
Minor Diety

I dont know what i have missing to be honest. :)

Anyway, i played on public yesterday (cornfield) and the way we did it, is we ran past the tractor and into some kind of barn. It had only 1 big entrace from the front but it was fairly deep. It was very very easy. I dont know my way round enough to find it again, especially in-game (heat of the moment). Not sure how much a part it played, but i threw a pipe bomb as soon as the horde came, so maybe that helped us not get intercepted before getting to the barn.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:09 am
Stranger

Dont worry, when im around i get pulled by smoker half way and then snatched by a hunter from the smoker. Im like a magnet to them.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:13 pm
Felix Rex

heh...I know the little shed you're talking about, Derf. It's pretty far... I think throwing the pipe is the only reason you guys made it that far. Personally I'd like to try the cliff method first... if that fails we can give the shed a shot. Running through corn like that though we'd probably lose Shiny and Derf. Shiny tends to get disoriented pretty easily. :roll:

The advanced runs aren't as hard as regular ones (even though we are using bots for the other two slots), but it's still good practice. I'm convinced we'll do a lot better next time.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Oh, fo sho. And yeah, that shed is a little far. But should we pack a pipe at that point it might not be such a bad idea to use that tactic.

Btw...did anyone ever try climbing on the tractor? Like, completely? On the roof and not the hood. If you run up the ramp of a piece of watering equipment you can get on the roof and pretty much sit it out on there...infected can only climb on the ramp and it's very narrow. With 3-4 people one or two could hold the front and the other(s) keep an eye out for smokers. Should totally be doable.

- Coach

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:01 pm
Felix Rex

I think the problem is getting everyone up there before we get totally swarmed. Usually the infected are already pawing at us by the time we even get to the tractor, much less get on top of it. Some people aren't as coordinated jumping around in-game as us. :P

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Dude...just came back from a game with Derf, his bro and a mate of theirs...me and Derf got SO FUCKING CLOSE to finishing blood harvest on expert. Like, only extremely bad luck and lag kept us from it close. :( :(

Played the campaign with Derf, his bro and their pal up to the finale...there we lost Derf's bro who had to go, but we decided to go for one more run with a bot.

And what a run it was! Perfection, almost. Me and Derf got safely to the rescue vehicle with 80+ healthy, were waiting for the door to open, hopped in...and then got lagged out of the thing. :? Oh and then a smoker pulled Derf away, a boomer vomited on us and a hunter pounced me. All in like 2 seconds. Not kidding. It was so excruciatingly close. =(

But we got the main things down, true and tested:

- cornfield: on the tractor. It's easily doable if you're 60+ health and don't fall off by accident. Once on top, it's easy defending alone or with two people...if the others die or get incapped, no worries. Spawn in the house anyway.

- defending the waves: in the barn everyone in the far corner (so not two at the stairs, two at the opening). We barely took any hits.

- the tank: when in the barn, it can only come up on the ladder. So you wait with the molo, throw it at it, then circle the house with all 4 to avoid getting picked off by other special infected until dead. All you need is two molos (which we had). You can even seriously blast it with shotties when climbing up, jump down, climb back up etc.

Keep in mind this was all done with a bot and that derf's friend wouldn't have died if he didn't get hit by a tank ranged by accident. If we do even half as well (we should without a bot) on these things next time we play we're so gonna make it.

Fucking lag. Bah. :( So close. But an epic game regardless.

- Coach

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:33 pm
Minor Diety

Aw man, Ox and I + 2 other friends practically finished Blood Harvest on expert using 2 molos against 2 tanks. For hordes we picked 1 corner of the barn and defended it easily. The tank can only come up to us via the stairs, so it was easy to time the molo. Whats more, once he's lit up, we can jump out of the massive opening and simply circle the house until he dies. Haul ass back in the barn and repeat.

However ... we was robbed!

Tell em ox.

EDIT: Posted before me, damn you have quick fingers.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:34 pm
Minor Diety

- Coach

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:35 pm
Minor Diety

I've been thinking about L4D all day at work and checking youtube clips about it. I think I'm a little obsessed (or, if you will, don't have enough work on my hands). :roll: Man, we were so close.. :P

- Coach

Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 39  Next