It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 39  Next
Left 4 Dead 
Minor Diety

hey thanks for the game last night guys. really really fun and hilarious.

I felt that my performance kinda peaked at some point, but then spiralled down as we started to fail over and over. Expert is friggin hard.

i dont know about you guys, but i quite like not knowing exactly whats happening or how the maps are layed out which is why i dont like to play it if im not with you guys. adds to the awesomeness of this game.

sorry for the occasional bleu-en-bleu :)

Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:06 am
Minor Diety

Oh yeah, yesterday was great. Too bad me and you were dozing off a little towards the end, but I guess that's almost inevitable with the time gaps and all. Btw Derf, me and Satis made it to the end on advanced after all, with Shiny and Bill suffering an untimely death. :wink:

As for the map layout...well I think most of us can run the campaigns with their eyes closed by now (especially No Mercy), but I can understand how not having that (yet) makes it even cooler for you. :) Because the AI Director does an incredible job keeping (essentially) the same maps interesting over and over again. Two games are rarely ever the same...and meeting a tank out in the open with the area cleared one time and in the sewers another sure adds to the "oh fucking shit" factor. Or as you put it yesterday: "mama!". :wink:

I like expert a lot, most of all because it can be genuinely scary and hard. Even on advanced I (and you) can run around like a jackass and pretty much gun-tote and run my way through anything but a hunter pounce/smoker pull, but not on expert. You NEED to focus and depend on your buddies (and they on you) which is what gives the game its edge. :) Awesome. Moments like the open area (with the lift and the gas station) on expert are golden...they just keep coming, it's insane.

Btw, I did find that we were taking too much damage/losing too many men to tanks yesterday in situations where we put him on fire right away, have no straglers and with no other enemies around. So some reminders:

Quote:
-Throw a Molotov cocktail in its path to set it on fire and slowly eat away at its life. Fire damage is independent of the Tank's hit points, and will assuredly take down a Tank after a duration dependent on the difficulty level. The Tank lasts 30/30/35/40 seconds for each difficulty (Easy/Normal/Advanced/Expert). This method ensures a Tank death if you are unsure of your ability to down the beast with firepower.

-Setting the Tank on fire will decrease his running speed. Shooting will slow him down significantly. All in all, shooting a burning Tank will make him slower than leaving him untouched. Always make sure that every survivor not being chased by the Tank is shooting at him.

-On most difficulties, if done properly, meleeing the Tank (in multiplayer and single player) from behind will almost always cause it to chase whoever meleed it; this is extremely useful when a Survivor is incapacitated and is being pounded on, enabling a healthy Survivor to lead the Tank in circles while someone else gets the Survivor back up an into the fight

Notes About the Rock Throw

* The Tank can't move and throw.
* You'll know when he's doing a throw by the absence of the ground pounding noise.
* Anyone can shoot the concrete out of the air, rendering it harmless.
* The Tank can predict where a survivor will run, if it's an AI. Zigzagging will avoid the rock.
* Non-static geometry such as crates will not block his shots.
* You may be unable to dodge a rock if you are limping too badly (i.e.: when your health bar is red or yellow).
* The Tank seems to have the ability to magically find concrete and throw it at you, so dont be lured in a false sense of safety that it cant chuck one at you inside an upper floor of a building..Or anywhere else for that matter.

- Coach

Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:38 am
Felix Rex

yea, that was fun yesterday. I'm up to trying again, maybe today. Unfortunately I have a lot of other stuff I need to do today, so we'll see how that works out. I'm sure with some more practice we'll beat it. Then it's on to the other 3 campaigns on expert. :twisted:

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

- There is little trajectory on the thrown rock. Keep that in mind when you try to scramble into a room thinking you're now in cover.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:06 pm
Minor Diety

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:31 pm
Felix Rex

lol.... Must say today was a good day for L4D. Derf, J, Ox and I did No Mercy on expert and beat it. Following that, J had to jet so we replaced him with Ganushe. We then proceeded to pwn death toll on expert. Not too shabby for one day. :)

quite stoked about all the expert pwnage, to be honest. Looking forward to doing the final 2 campaigns on expert.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeah it was great, so great you've forgotten that Derf had to go and i stayed to pwnzor Death Toll :P

Good mix of hilarious and heroic moments as well.

~King of Thieves~

Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:21 am
Minor Diety

Yeah, J was the one holding the fort on death toll. :)

Man, those were awesome games. On No Mercy we even pretty much dominated, apart from a few FF incidents. We totally handled the tank pro style, but I must admit we got a little lucky at getting no tank on top of the hospital (in lvl 4 I mean, not the finale). lol @ Satis completely missing the half dead witch from point blank with a shotty there btw - according to the game anyway. :P

On Death Toll we barely scraped through though...man, we died a lot. At one point Satis was the only one left alive, single-handedly killing a smoker and boomer before getting me and Ganushe out of the closet. :) We basically did one level with three people because Ganushe died early and didn't get a respawn until very late, too. And me and J were dropping a lot too. And I went back to my usual position as top FF dealer, after briefly handing over my crown to Derf for No Mercy. ;)

I feel we really stepped up a level. And to think that we did it without voice comms...on No Mercy anyway, on Death Toll Satis and Ganushe became pretty much the pointsmen. I wanna do dead air now. I love dead air. :) And I think Blood Harvest will be HARD. Not that the others were so easy...

Some random coments from the intarwebz on the searches "left 4 dead on expert" and "L4D on expert" :twisted:

Quote:
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but Left 4 Dead on Expert is really hard. I mean, really hard. In fact, I will be the first to admit that I have never beaten any of the campaigns on Expert.

----

Plans: Attempt finishing Left 4 Dead on expert (which is just impossible, I don’t care what anyone says)

----

Left 4 Dead on expert is getting me on the edge. Seriously... I can't do it D:<

----

from a twitter blog:

Dear jebus, l4d on expert is impossible. 4:53 AM Jan 3rd from TwitterFon

----

L4D on Expert is pure fun. I can't imagine playing it on anything less even if it's hard as fuck.

Played for a few minutes on Advanced. Way too easy. Feels more like a shoot em up than a zombie survival at that difficulty. Can't even imagine how boring the game is on sub-Normal.

And we made it 4/4 both times! I love how this game gives us a challenge, and how you learn to rely on friends or think together (like when we hear the horde and we automatically move into the nearest corner/room/building, or how we cover vomited-on survivors - it's almost autopilot by now)

EDIT: lol @ Derf's pic of my graffiti btw

- Coach

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:37 am
Felix Rex

heh...yea, my bad, I meant that Derf had to leave, not J. :roll: All you Europeans are the same anyway. :p

Anyway, yea, that was great fun. Next weekend I should be up for the other two campaigns. And maybe a new achievement. :roll:

btw, about that witch in No Mercy... :evil: I swear I shot her in the face, but the game hates me. It's ok, I took that game and I held it over my knee and spanked the crap out of it. Stupid game.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:10 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

It was kinda funny to see how ganushe nearly fainted with surprise when he heard me and J weren't American. :roll: Bunch of navelstarers. ;)

I can't wait for the weekend. I'll be busy the entire weekend but should be able to free some time in the evenings. But that's all pretty sketchy so far. :(

I love dead air. The zombies in fluo jackets in the airport are sweet. In fact, all the models in L4D are extremely well made...the survivors in particular. But for an enemy who dies in a microsecond and whose main tactic is swarming you very fast in great numbers, the infected models are really cool and detailed too.

Anyway...I'm happy you guys talked me into this game :P

- Coach

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:52 am
Minor Diety

we start death toll campaign and before i even fired a single shot, Ganushe managed to take Satis down with his shotgun.

His comment: "Mm let me switch to the machine gun" :lol:

~King of Thieves~

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:27 am
Minor Diety

haha, yeah, that was awesome. "Whoops..." :lol:

Shotguns are so devastating for FF on expert. One blast from close by and you're down. Really nasty.

Btw, regular infected do 5 damage per hit they can get on on expert - 10 if they can hit you from behind. Makes you appreciate how tough expert really is. :o

- Coach

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 am
Minor Diety

Left 4 Dead DLC (versus for Dead Air & Death Toll, survival mode, SDK) will be free for PC and Xbox 360.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/02 ... lc-4-free/

- Coach

Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:20 am
Felix Rex

oh good, I'm guessing Steam realized they would have a revolt if they tried to charge for something like that. :roll: Good thing, too. I'm looking forward to it.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Didn't know you could do this.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 39  Next