It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 39  Next
Left 4 Dead 
Felix Rex

I know you can join a server directly using that, but can we have our entire lobby join a server that way?

btw, thanks for posting that poster. I may be altering it. :)

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:02 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol...J looks like some sort of misshaped freak with a giant head in that pic. :P

This had me chuckle, btw:

Quote:
Alec: A scowling photo of skinny, long-haired friend of mine was tagged as ‘don’t startle the witch’ on Facebook. She was instantly offended by the witch comment, and I feel bad that I can’t begin to explain the joke to her. At the same time, it’s funnier because she doesn’t understand it. Giggle.

- Coach

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:28 am
Felix Rex

lol. I really hope they get some DLC for this game soon. I'd hate to have it fade because they're too slow coming out with updates. Like HL2. :roll:

Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

We still have to beat it on expert first :P If we coordinate a little we should be fine - look at how we played through the first 2 movies on advanced without any really intricate tactics.

I heard FF is a complete bith on expert, tho. Like, one misplaced shotgun blast = downed team member.

To my utter shame, i've been collecting some achievements in SP, like akimbo assassin (finish movie while only using pistols) and unbreakable (finish movie without healing). The last one is pretty easy with friends but with the AI not so much...you pretty much need to enter every room/area first, and even then things can get fucked up. But you can still use pills, so that's a relief.

- Coach

Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:55 am
Felix Rex

ah....Shiny and I went out of our way to get Akimbo Assassin and the one where you don't piss off any witches (forget the name). We haven't had much of a chance to play lately, though. Looking forward to some more group play.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I played quite a lot of L4D over the holidays...some of that together with Satis and Shiny, fun times. :) Including a legendary versus with Satis where the tank appeared REALLY early in the level (No Mercy, the inside of the hospital) and we decided to just wait it out in the safe room and shoot it from there. Bad idea. :P It smashed right through the freaking door! But we killed it pretty easily anyway, and finished the level in record time with minimal damage.

other findings (for those who weren't there):

- apparently what J mentioned re: the door in the loading bay area in the second level of no mercy: it can be opened by repeatedly shoving it (we did it in one game), but apparently not in every game. Weird glitch. Will investigate more.

- When playing as a tank on the construction area on the 4th level of No Mercy, I incapacitated 3 out of 4 survivors with the 4th hiding in the safe room. The others were still dying so the game didn't end, and he wasn't dumb enough to leave the room. :P I couldn't break the door like what happened to us earlier...BUT I could throw rocks through the door and hit the guy inside, in some angles. Good to know, right? I think the door can only be smashed open by the tank at the start of a level, if the survivors take too long to leave the room...not at the end. Similarly, I've seen the safe room door open automatically in versus when we didn't leave the room fast enough.

Other than that we're getting better and better at the game, imho. Runs on advanced are pretty smooth, save for the freaking tank appearances. We especially seem to suffer in the finales. :roll:

J, stop teaching and play more L4D ;) hehehe

- Coach

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:54 am
Felix Rex

I agree, I think we're improving rapidly. Advanced used to be REALLY hard... now we can pwn the levels for the most part, with the exception of the finales. Even with those we typically do 'well'... but there was a time when I'd get owned in normal mode on those finales, so I'm thinking it's par for the course. Learning the tricks like closets and such is helpful.

More and more people seem to be getting this game, too. Soon I'll know enough people we can get a full versus game stocked with friends. :)

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:15 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

~King of Thieves~

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:27 am
Minor Diety

Closets are considered kinda lame in versus, just so you know. Luckily, there is no closet in the rooftop finale of No Mercy (unlike in campaign). :)

I've been plowing through the L4D wiki today and selected some interesting things. Some are common sense, some are more difficult to know. Everything you always wanted to know about the boss infected, but were afraid to ask:

Tank

Quote:
Throw a Molotov cocktail in its path to set it on fire and slowly eat away at its life. Fire damage is independent of the Tank's hitpoints, and will assuredly take down a Tank after a duration dependent on the difficulty level. The Tank lasts 30/30/35/40 seconds for each difficulty (Easy/Normal/Adv./Expert). This method ensures a Tank death if you are unsure of your ability to down the beast with firepower.

Anyone can shoot the [thrown] concrete out of the air, rendering it harmless

Tanks can punch cars, tree logs and dumpsters large distances. Being hit by a car or dumpster instantly incapacitates a survivor.

Boomer

Quote:
CAUTION: you can only melee a boomer twice, a third time will cause him to blow up on you

First and foremost, the Boomer can only spawn one wave of infected, per survivor, at a time. Vomiting on a survivor and then exploding on the same survivor will not generate additional infected despite getting one person "twice." To generate additional infected, you must either explode on a "non-purple" survivor, or wait until all survivors are no longer glowing "purple" with bile and then strike again. Therefore; he who pukes and runs away, lives to puke another day.

While a Survivor is covered in bile, they cannot see the outlines of the other Survivors

The Boomer can hide beside cars with alarms and Witches to trick Survivors into shooting them. The nearby explosion will cause the alarm to be triggered or the Witch to be startled.

When you pop, you knock people back. This includes but is not limited to survivors, infected, hunters pounced on survivors, smokers smoking survivors, and tanks. Good news is that you can knock people off cliffs with it. Bad news is that you can knock tanks off cliffs with it.

The Boomer will not explode if you shoot it in the head, it merely collapses. As an interesting side note, it will still make an explosion noise after death even if it doesn't explode.

Hunter

Quote:
This boss infected has two attacks: a claw attack which does about 10 damage (making it a viable tactic to use in the right situations), and a pouncing attack.

The Hunter bonus pounce damage is based on how far you traveled horizontally, therefore launching straight up or down is not the most effective pounce. Instead, climb on top of a roof or chimney a bit away from the survivors (such as on a rooftop on the other side of the street), and propel yourself up and forward at a 45 degree angle. You have some limited control in the air and can somewhat guide yourself to your target once airborne. Twenty plus damage pounces are not as hard as they seem once you become better acquainted with the pounce mechanic.

Setting yourself on fire before a pounce does extra damage to the Survivor, but you will slowly take damage from the flames.

In versus mode, Hunters have a small knockback on their pounce. Try pouncing groups near ledges for hilarious results.

Smoker

Quote:
If the survivors are near a large vertical drop (such as an overhang or rooftop), take advantage of this by pulling them over the edge. This will either cause a great deal of falling damage or incapacitate them (i.e.: they will be hanging onto the edge with both hands).

Try to think like a Survivor. Consider the worst possible time you've been "Smokered." In particular, being dragged into the arms of a Witch or Boomer, off ledges/rooftops, and into a raging inferno are devastating.

Cool @ friends getting the game Satis. Looking forward to versus with non-n44bs. :) Last time I played one of the survivors on my team forgot to pick up a medkit (after me telling him twice in the safe room and him not responding), died pretty quickly and then went "well that was bad" when we wiped, magically finding the chat key again. :? It was the hospital lvl of no mercy, typically an easy level if you move move move. Alas, I was the only one left by the time we reached the elevator. No chance to make it alone.

- Coach

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:40 am
Minor Diety

I got my OCD groove on yesterday and collected a few achievements, like man vs tank, back 2 help, safety first and field medic.

Got most achievements that can be done with AI now - expect for cr0wned which I somehow manage to fuck up every freaking time. Any tips? :(

Left to do:

Big Drag (versus achievement)
All 4 Dead (versus achievement)
Lamb 2 slaughter (versus achievement)
Cr0wned (I suck)
Zombicidal Maniac (need real players)
Untouchables (need real players)
Stomach upset (need real players)
Nothing Special (need real players)
What are you trying to prove (definitely need real players :P
Red Mist (matter of time)
Zombie Genocidest (idem)

You guys desperate for some? We could help each other out for sure.

- Coach

Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:07 am
Felix Rex

I need a decent number of those...I need the achievement where you don't use a health kit for an entire movie. Unfortunately, with bots they keep trying to heal me and there's no way to stop them. :( Really irritating. I'm up for trying some of those.

Regarding crowned, you need to run up to her and basically wait for her to almost stand up, then shoot her in the face with the shotgun. It still takes some effort to get it right, but it's possible.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Heh, k. I tried to do just that in varying moments of her "getting up", but i never seemed to get it quite right. :( I must have tried like 10 times, and I was close on a few occasions...sometimes she died 2 bullet shots later after clawing me to the floor following my hs attempt. Lame.

Anyhoo...you can do unbreakable with bots, I did. When they try to heal you take out your own medkit, it will stop them. Alternatively, pulling away/shoving will sometimes do the trick. Either way, just fire up a game on easy and run very fast and keep hopped up on pills. :)

Even man vs tank can be done with bots...when you hear the tank music, call a vote to change difficulty to expert. Cause you're the only non-bot you'll pass it, shoot all your pals, change difficulty back to easy before the tank gets to you and blast away with the shotty. Etc. Fiddling with the difficulty will make a lot of them a lot easier. Also, keep in mind that bots NEVER FF. So as long as you check your fire, the safety first achievement is in the bag.

I actually got Big Drag in versus yesterday. So that's one less. :) I'm up for some runs next weekend if we make it 4!

- Coach

Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:03 am
Felix Rex

Yea, sounds good to me. I was up this weekend but Shiny kept me busy. :? Good idea on some of those bot runs... I may need to try that.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:15 am
Profile WWW
Count

Not my fault - and you go to play some.... truthfully I am almost afraid to play because I get so frustrated with my computers performance right now - yes I know I need to wipe the box but I seriously don't have the time or really want to make the time right now. :( And you can not blame me for going to the doctor - you were the one that forced me to go.... not that it was not sweet - although I have a feeling it was more you were tired of hearing me cough.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 39  Next