Star Wars: The Old Republic 
Minor Diety

Post Star Wars: The Old Republic
Deserving of its own thread, right? :)

http://www.swtor.com/

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Can I play alone?

While there are some tasks that cannot be completed without the cooperation of others, the majority of the game can be accomplished by playing alone.

Quote:
How does Star Wars: The Old Republic relate to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR). At the conclusion of the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR, Revan disappeared into unknown space in search of a great threat to the Republic, an expanding Sith Empire led by a mysterious Emperor who planned vengeance for his ancient Jedi enemies. Revan never returned from unknown space, but the Sith Empire did, kicking off a war with the Republic that lasted for decades. Now, despite the uneasy truce created by the Treaty of Coruscant, the tension among the divided star systems is threatening to once again tear the galaxy apart.

Quote:
How can I get into the Beta Test?

We have not yet scheduled the Beta Test for Star Wars: The Old Republic. We recommend subscribing to the newsletter or keeping an eye on the official website so you can be one of the first informed when this information is released.

- Coach

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:57 am
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
I'll be keeping a very close eye on this one for sure :D

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:27 pm
Stranger

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:42 pm
Minor Diety

I dunno Peltz. Not that I wouldn't have welcomed a regular Kotor RPG but Bioware seems to be willing to take the MMO thing to another level, not just copying WoW and its grinding. I actually just had a (silly and rather heated) discussion with a friend about The Old Republic, which he dismissed from the start as 'crap'. I might add that he's a WoW addict. ;)

I asked him why and he said that the idea of a 'story-driven MMO' was stupid and that the Star Wars universe was too 'confined' and would need a lot of stuff made up to be interesting. My reaction was 'wtf'. :roll: If the Star Wars universe is 'limited' then what could you say about WoW when it first started out? 3 RTS games and some novels. That was all the lore there ever was. :lol: I'm just saying, making up stuff along the way is no biggie.

My main argument was basically that it's BIOWARE doing it, who haven't shown any signs of losing momentum/quality/vision in their games over the past decade and haven't released a single bad title. He said they didn't have enough experience with the MMO genre, to which I posited that that is perhaps a good thing given their ambition to take the genre to a new lvl.

ANYWAY...I'm just saying: I believe they can take the genre and put in something that we haven't seen yet. In short, I'm a believer in their "story-driven MMORPG" plans. :P There's a 4-page article on the game in my gaming mag, some things I found interesting:

-the development team currently features 12 full-time writers

-it's set 300 years after the events of the Kotor games, and 3000+ years before the movies. This gives them ample room to manoeuvre between the lore elements.

-the background is the uneasy truce between the (resurgent) Sith Empire and the Republic which is in chaos. Power ties are unclear, political and economic interests are at odds with each other etc. The jedi are thanked for their services and more or less banished to their home planet Tython, and the Sith emperor left for destination unknown, leaving the dark council behind as their 'leadership'. So: the jedi are looking for a renaissance and new leadership, while the sith are trying to consolidate their advantage with its leadership hopelessly fighting amongst themselves.

-When creating a quest, they tried to envision the player character asking the questgiver the question "Sorry, I'm saving the galaxy. How does this task relate to that?" which should eliminate a lot of the standard "kill six snow moose" quests. :roll:

-problem with MMORPG's is that the story experience is almost similar for every class and even sometimes faction, and lacks context. The Old Republic will feature a different story for every class for the Sith and the Jedi. They compare it to how Han Solo and Luke Skywalker both have their own seperate stories in the saga but do meet each other at crucial moments etc.

-being a Sith doesn't mean that you have to be 'eval', or being a jedi/republic soldier doesn't mean that you're necessarily gonna be the good guy. There's going to be a lot of moral flexibility there, allowing for a very 'grey' character. The Sith are not just evil as a whole. There are some very real reasons why they feel they need to avenge themselves. In the last great war, the entire Sith race was pretty much killed in what could be called a genocide, after all. You can be the good guy in the bad place or vice versa. Another point with the morality system is that you can't save (obviously). Moral choices will be important, and there's no going back with that character with no saves. :)

-Because a survey showed that 40% of the MMORPG players prefers to play alone, they're going to implement a companion system. They act a lot like the NPC's in the Kotor games, in that they have dialogue, offer criticism/advice on quests and situations, have their own sidequests etc. They can leave you when you really pissed them off, too. There are many companions but you can only take one with you at a time...you can swap them but for story's sake it's recommended you stick with one of them if possible.

-a lot of their attention is going into making the non-force using classes and races appealing to the player. Jedi classes and lightsabres will be available pretty much from the start (unlike in SWG and even the Kotor games) Not said how though. PvP is a big point of focus too.

Erh, that's it. Release still a long time away. But I'm gonna play as a non-force using Sith with my main, I can tell you that much. :twisted:

- Coach

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:55 am
Stranger

Im not saying its gonna be crap, Coz i have played some really weird stuff. Eventhough all you mentioned sounds good and everything, its such a deja vu x50 for me. I feel like ive seen it all by now. As i mentioned in another topic before, this is probably the last MMO i am going to give a go, and only because it is done by Bioware.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:22 pm
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
I also have complete faith in Bioware, they just keep coming up with quality so unless its a dog of a game I'm looking forward to it eagerly...

And I don't even do MMO :)

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:30 pm
Minor Diety

Same here, more or less. :) I understand where Peltz is coming from, though. Fallout 3 has been the first game with big expectations that more or less lived up to the hype in a long time, and for MMORPG's that's an even longer period. :roll:

I just hope WoW isn't the shape of all MMORPG's to come. It's time for a break with the past, and I hope Bioware can do it. There are only really 4 big PC developers anymore: Blizzard, Valve, Bethesda and Bioware. Of those 4, Bioware is probably the least economically speaking but also the heaviest on intellectual capacity and industry cred (ie all their games tend to be class, they don't 'just' churn out sequels but take risks and succeed). We can only hope, and pray to Raptor Jesus.

interview:

http://www.incgamers.com/Games/2336/Int ... public/158
http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/160 ... lic-Part-2

Quote:
So far only the Jedi and Sith classes have been announced, but in the fact sheet you also mentioned the new elite troopers of the Republic. Are those going to be a third class? And if they are, what are they going to be like? I imagine them a little bit like a Jango Fett kind of class.

We haven’t actually announced any specific classes yet. We have said there will be Sith and Jedi classes, but we haven’t given details yet. With all the classes, though, we’re trying to make them representative of the heroes from the movies. We want you to experience your Star Wars fantasy. That fantasy may not be to become a Jedi or Sith, but there will be a role in this game for you, whether Han Solo is your idol or Boba Fett. What we said in terms of Republic elite military forces is only that since the Jedi have withdrawn from Coruscant, a new breed of Special Forces has risen up to take the lead as the official defenders of the Republic. Whether these soldiers are a playable class… you’ll have to wait to find out.

- Coach

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:11 am
Minor Diety

First video documentary thingie on TOR site

http://www.swtor.com/media/vidcasts/viddoc001

:)

- Coach

Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:37 am
Minor Diety

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-top-9-p ... 9573531074

(which is an interesting look forward into 2009), the VP of Blizzard, Rob Pardo:

[quote]Is there anything out there on the horizon that makes you think “Hm…that could be the next World of Warcraft?â€

- Coach

Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:01 am
Minor Diety

Interesting video on the conceptualization and creation of the Jedi home planet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CchH-DJ ... pment-vid/

- Coach

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:36 am
Minor Diety

First non-force-using class revealed: the bounty hunter

http://www.swtor.com/info/classes/bounty-hunter

Jetpack, flamethrower, pistols, armor...lookin' good. Class descriptions and videos after the link. :)

- Coach

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:54 am
Stranger

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwars ... e=previews?

Be well or Get Help!!

Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Felix Rex

ooh, cool. You can be a storm trooper, basically. :P I bet 50% of the 60% of the people playing will be jedi, 30% sith, and the rest a variety of the other classes.

I hope there's a dancer class. Or entertainer class. For real. Having non-combat classes is awesome and adds a lot of depth.

Fri May 08, 2009 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I agree. I was even thinking that the galactic senate could actually be populated by players who can then take some decisions...but that's more Eve's neck of the woods.

I'm pretty sure I won't be a jedi...thinking of a non-force using class/character as a primary, should make me rather popular (out of sheer rarity). :P Maybe a Sith as a secondary. We'll see.

Did you guys see the prequel comic series for the game?

http://www.swtor.com/media/webcomic/act ... age=16#/0/

Pretty cool stuff!

- Coach

Sat May 09, 2009 8:57 am
Felix Rex

I'll also be a non-force using class most likely. I typically like playing healers, so I don't doubt there'll be a medic/doctor class whcih will be my main. As a secondary, I dunno... there are non-Sith and Jedi with force powers, but I must admit that's there's an allure about light sabers and force-choking the shit out of something. We'll see. If it's a decent game I'll probably eventually try all the classes.

Sat May 09, 2009 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 245 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next