It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Diablo 3 
Felix Rex

Post Diablo 3
Diablo 3 has been announced by Blizzard. A short writeup.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... s-Diablo-3

Not much known about it yet. Personally, I don't really like Diablo but I'm sure there are people here that do.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I liked the second one. The gameplay did get very repetitive, but the story and atmosphere were good. Diablo I was boring. I never completed it, but it was just dungeon level after dungeon level with the only variation using a different colour form time to time.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:57 am
Minor Diety

heh I found out about this a couple hours before the announcement.

Not at all excited. I loved D2, but only the Singleplayer (won't touch MP on it, too many retards, tried a couple of times... ugh no), but literally it is good only for the story. Have D1 but never completed it... really should. It's one of those I won't get excited about at all until I actually have it in my hands... and then it'll wear off after a couple of days.

I'll still buy it when it first comes out, Blizzard have a way of telling the story that tends to entrap me, but I can guarantee (and yes, I know I'll be in the minority here) that Sacred 2 is going to be a far better game. Technically, D3 will be the superior game, but hey, as far as I'm concerned its the amount of hours that make a good game for me, and I won't spend anywhere near the time on D3 as I will S2.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I really really liked Diablo 2. Good news this, so long as they keep it old skool.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:57 pm
Minor Diety

The gameplay video didn't look very spectacular imho. :( I never was much into the diablo games though I did play them both. The gameplay was awesome, but in the end it was just...grinding. Once you finish the main quest I mean.

- Coach

Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:02 am
Felix Rex

agreed. I think it was my first serious intoduction to grinding. I got tired of it pretty fast. I played the original Diablo on the Playstation, then played D2 for awhile on PC. I burned out before the expansion came out.

Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Have to admit watching the vid made me reinstall D2, will have to dust off my old chars. Maybe my amazon will finally get through nightmare mode. I doubt it though, I'll be bored again within a couple of hours.

Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

I completed both, D1 and D2 but not the D2 expansion. By that time the game was so boring i couldnt bring myself to it.

So basically what we have is a singleplayer world of warcraft? :D

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:43 am
Minor Diety

heh my mate has now convinced me to finally complete D1, so I'm on it right now *sigh*

Hopefully what we'll have is shinier Diablo 2, as its a far superior rpg than Warcraft. Warcraft is an rts dammit!

Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Stranger

I just watched the gameplay at gamespot. Its the same shit all over again. I guess im just too old for 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1 monster dead, monies woohooo.

By comparing it to recently released RPGs this looks like a giant leap back instead of forward. Its friggin grind times 3. bullshit.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:43 am
Stranger

I guess the only reason to play D3 is to see Tyreal again. For me, its one of the best designed NPCs in the video game industry.

Be well or Get Help!!

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:34 am
Minor Diety

indeed, as i say the story is what keeps me coming to Diablo, so it better be good. Still there is something almost refreshing about the simplicity of it; whilst I prefer a good, 'complicated' rpg, sometimes a nice arpg is all I need to relax.

Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Stranger

"Diablo - Set the standards for PC RPG's"

Please do not speak rubbish, It may have set the standards for stupid repetetitive grind times three but thats pretty much it.

So i posted this as an answer at gamespot in response to some moron saying that diablo set the standards for RPGs. Well Diablo 1 was indeed released earlier than BG, torment and Fallout but it sure as hell did not set any standards. What it did was discard all that made RPGs and left only the mindless bashing with the left mousebutton and then nuking with the right mouse button and smashing 1 for health potion.

There was the Eye of the beholder series before Diablo if anyone remembers that. That game had so many secrets and complex puzzles it was almost ridiculous, not to mention the difficulty. There was the Might and Magic games and ofcourse Heroes of Might and Magic 1 which has more rpg depth than diablo.

Edit: And fuck yes it pisses me off to pay for a game that i have already bought and played. I find it humorous that adding a hotbar and 1 more class makes a sequel, in my eyes that doesnt even count for a decent patch.

Be well or Get Help!!

Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:46 pm
Felix Rex

lol. I don't even consider Diablo to be an RPG, to be honest. It's a hack and slasher. I think it's a valid genre of games, but to lump it in with RPGs is a bit short-sighted. That's like calling Quake 3 an RPG.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

ditto, Diablo is not an rpg, at best it is an aRPG. It bugs me when things like this get categorised wrongly then compared with the best of the best from that category. It's like comparing Oblivion to Halo simply because you can go into first person in Obliv :roll:

As an rpg, Diablo is poor. As an arpg, it is pretty much at the top.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next