It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2024 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Job interviews suck ass 
Minor Diety

Ox, i dont know for sure, but maybe you could look into working abroad?

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:07 am
Minor Diety

Yeah, I've been doing that a bit already. Problem is that, especially if you don't have any prior work experience, companies aren't usually all that giddy about hiring foreigners. :)

Otoh, I wouldn't have any problems whatsoever getting around in an English-speaking country or France, my lingo's are definitely good enough for that.

Been searching some international databases (and applied for a job at the EU even) but usually it comes down to it that you need to have experience and crap. I'm also keeping an eye out for a job at an embassy somewhere...you never knoiw.

Maybe I should just go back to college and study engineering. :P

- Coach

Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:48 pm
Minor Diety

My bro had the same problem with getting into car mechanics. Hes got some qualifications for it, but not having the golden ticket (vocational apprenticeship) he lacks experience, and that is exactly the reason the employers are giving him at his job interviews. He is perfectly confident of handling a car mechanic job, but without "experience" they wont give him a chance. So now he's in a bullshit situation, trying to make some experience in a body fitting job, hopefully 6-12 months of that should get him closer.

Maybe thats what you need to do, aim lower at first. Do 6-12 months of some mickey-mouse job in the same field.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:30 am
Minor Diety

In theory that sounds good Derf, but my story was:

* i was overqualified to work in the laboratory itself (to get experience in the field), they preferred bachelors or so for that

* i didn't have the experience needed/wanted for the jobs that required a masters degree

So basically it's often really frustrating to get a job in your field here.

~King of Thieves~

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:16 am
Felix Rex

yea, that's pretty common. Nobody will hire you without experience, but it's a bit hard to get experience until you get hired. Which is why the first job I got in my current field (IT) was a mass moron outsourced tech support thing. Now I have more salable skills and can get news jobs easier (though not necessarily at the wage I want). Of course, IT is a bit different from language...I actually have real-world provable skills and experience. I imagine it's a little harder to prove you can actually speak foreign languages. Or something.

Anyway, good luck. Aim low to begin with (as others have suggested), get your experience.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I don't think there's a huge difference between being able to prove IT skills or language proficiency tbh; I mean most companies do test your skill before signing you to be sure. ;) How do they test IT skills anyway? Is it just a talk about your knowledge of various programs/lingo's, or do they make you do written tests or problem-solving at a pc? In my case it's usually written tests, followed by a conversation in those languages.

And yeah, well, aim lower is good and everything but that just isn't my style. yet. :) I'm sure I'll do so in a bit if nothing comes through. But meh, I hate work that doesn't have a point. On the bright side, I netted a 30.000 word translating job a few days ago. Not sure about when I start and how much i'll make on it but it's a good intermezzo.

And J, don't say that man, i don't want to end up as a teacher! ;) hehe, jk. Lots of pals are teachers now and they say it's pretty relax. Good pay (for people like us with worthless degrees anyway ;) ), lots of time off...only 'problem' is that you have to work at home too.

- Coach

Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:46 am
Minor Diety

For me it's not relax at all, but i guess it depends a lot on the subjects you teach. I have a lot of extra 1 hour/week classes next to what i'm supposed to be teaching, like some geography etc. And that eats up a whole lot of my time. I guess languages is a different story. I haven't heard the new french teachers complain that much for instance.

Good luck with the job hunt anyway. I'm gonna make up some more exams. :)

~King of Thieves~

Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:01 am
Minor Diety

I've been out with a teacher friend of mine for two-three days in a row now...it's like he's even more out of a job than I am :lol: But he's just having time off after making exams en supervising...so yeah, there's probably a difference. :wink:

- Coach

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:29 am
Emperor

Once I had job interview for AutoCAD modeler place. Well, since there is really little to be said about the program itself and my fluence in achieving anything achievable there, I entered a short story about 3D Programmer's part of my CV. The guys listened to me carefully and on end told me I'd better try to find job in NASA. :?

Yeah... job interviews suck sometimes.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Hehe...did I mention I have a job, you whores? Well, not a permanent thing but semi-self employed. I'm translating some shit to from Dutch to English for the governement. 100 pages of naval speak. :cry:

But it's ok pay, and the first real addition to my CV. Also, now the social services can't say I don't work, cos I freaking do. It's pretty hard work too cos I have to get it ready by the 15th. So I'm pretty much staying at home staring at the pc all day. Woohoo!

- Coach

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:06 am
Minor Diety

Good stuff dude! The that shit on yo CV. It will probably be one of those things that goes very slowly as you start off.

I have an aunt that does English-Italian translation.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:19 am
Felix Rex

If you learn Arabic, Korean or Chinese you'd be virtually guaranteed a job with the US military.

Good job on the employment though. The hardest thing is getting that first job...after that it's downhill.

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

The shit is that i'm translating TO English...as you might know, people only usually translate to their native tongue. My English is definitely more than above-par, but not quite perfect either, so it's a bit of a job. Been slaving away for a few days already, the first translation is ready, now I need to proofread and correct. Meh.

Anyway, finally some actual experience for my CV. Most jobs don't consider general 1337ness a quality trait. :cry:

Oh and the social services want to speak to me on the 22nd. Gonna be fun, walking the halls side to side with the freakin' proletarians.

- Coach

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:47 am
Felix Rex

... the guy that hasn't ever had a "real" job complaining about the proleteriats? What's the EU coming to?

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next