It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Smoking banned in US town 
Emperor

if you're standing at a bus stop and someone 5 feet away is smoking, I don't think you can tell me that will cause any significant shortening of your life.

The nice thing is that you do not deny possibility that passive smoking even in small amounts is shortening our lives. Now think about - if it is, who gives right to all of you to shorten someone's life? No matter how "insignificant" you might consider it.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

but the human body is self repairing. Spending 20 minutes a day by people that are smoking would probably be repaired in the evening when you sleep.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

To fix the brain (one of biggest inhalated agent's consumators) and lungs, which are slowly filling with naturally non-removable particles of smoke, that are cause of cancer?

If it is shortenting yours, it is shortening the lifes of others too. There is no way to fix it.

Last edited by RB on Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

naturally non-removing? I don't think so. Which is why if you quit smoking, you breathe better.

Anyway, I'm not convincing anyone of anything, but my whole point is that smoking doesn't cause any damage to bystanders unless they're subject to it continually.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

Smoke consists of tiny particles. Some of nicotine (or whatever) smoke you breath obviously remain in lungs for lifetime (left - healthy lung wing, right - smoker's one). So you are doing damage to someone by forcing him to breathe your smoke with you on a public place where he has right to be without being damaged.

But forget it for a moment. Even if it completely removes after some time, there is my point that smoker is responsible for that it even got in there.

Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

...and it's big business's fault that industrial pollutants are in my body.

And every driver's fault that burnt petroleum products are in my lungs.
And various other peoples' faults for various other things.

oh, and damage to the heart and lungs is repaired according to this:

https://www.oakgov.com/health/assets/Do ... g_news.pdf

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

There is a difference between having traffic and industry -overall good- and a little selfish pleasure of an smoker -one's good in most-.

About link: there is still the fact it said "begin repair" and not that the process of poisoning and filling your body with "that" is full-revertible as well. In your position, as a smoker, it is useful even to stop it, so the medical personnel who gave their oaths to do everything good for you has a motive to lie just to make you stop smoking.

Btw, I have not told that nothing can be removed. I have told there will be those particles which won't be removed for the lifetime.

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

Must I abstain from everything which may potentially harm your health? One could argue that internal combustion vehicles (and certainly SUVs) are for recreation that endangers my health. They could instead be using vehicles that are significantly greener. Most industry is to provide crap that isn't strictly necessary for survival, and is thus recreational.

Basically, my beef is that smoking is legal. If it's such a massive danger to society, make it illegal. But while it's legal, don't ostracize me from society because I choose to partake in it. Either make it illegal, or chillax.

Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

Potentially harm? Look around you and awake: it is harm for the others as well as it is for a smoker, and that smoker is the source. I cannot but point finger to him. Smoke do not make difference between passive and active smoker. Now, are you telling I have to inhalate the same thing as you just because we're on the same bus-stop or party, as if I would thoguht it "good" for me as you consider it for you? No thanks.

Industry, as it is, provides working places, if nothing else. Note that "s" in "places". Besides its bad aspects it is still doing good to many people and their families. Tell it isn't matter of survival, and you will face the fact smoking is even less.

Yeah, take your point as a slow deep smoking breath, and enjoy while you can. I hope to see the day when smokers will "die out" under the pressure. As I see it started with a town, and if it even fail, it was a good try. There will be other ones.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2