It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Hero battles! 
Minor Diety

Post Hero battles!
Look what I found in my mailbox today:

Quote:
JUST ANNOUNCED! Hero Battles

Learn your way around our newest arena before you even get there!

Nightfall introduces the ultimate one-on-one challenge: Hero Battles. This new PvP gameplay allows two players—and their Heroes—to compete against one another. Although this might sound like traditional Arena PvP, its strategy and gameplay has some unique differences. Instead of four players, each Hero Battle team includes one player and three customised NPC Heroes. Depending on your style of play, you can take total control of these Heroes or focus on your character while letting your Heroes make their own decisions. Either way, the skills and attributes you choose form your strategy for your team. Before you charge into your first Hero Battle, we’ve got some basic strategy pointers that could give you the edge in combat.

Like other PvP conflicts, Hero Battles require some strategy before the game begins. Besides settling on your own profession, you design an entire team, customising every aspect from equipment to skill builds for your Heroic teammates. You may want to pattern your characters on popular PvP builds (as seen in Observer Mode), or you might try to find builds best suited to your particular play style.

To win a Hero Battle, you must outscore your opponent. Points come in two ways: [1] holding the centre control point and [2] killing members of the enemy team. In addition to the centre control point, each Hero Battle map has additional control points that confer bonuses such as additional Health or control of an NPC ally. Control points are captured much like the points you can capture in Alliance Battles.

The first key to success in a Hero Battle is to avoid charging blindly into combat. If you only focus on killing your opponent, you may allow him to capture all of the points on the map. This will put you at a big disadvantage in later fights. Remember that you can use waypoint flags to send Heroes to capture points. If you are losing a straight-up fight, don’t be afraid to change your tactics. The bonuses conferred by the various control points may allow you to turn the tide of battle.

When you are fighting a tough opponent, don’t assume your Heroes will do everything optimally on their own. Call a target if you want your Heroes to focus fire. Use waypoint flags to adjust the positioning of your Heroes if need be. Heroes have their own priorities when deciding which skills to use, but you can override the AI by using the Hero Control panel. You can click individual skills on a Hero's Skill Bar, temporarily taking over that Hero. You can also switch your Heroes’ combat mode on the fly: A Hero in Fight mode will engage opponents normally; a Hero set to Guard will stay back and only fight enemies who come nearby; and a Hero set to Avoid Combat will try to run from attackers.

A regular resurrection cycle provides for constant combat action. Be careful fighting too close to your opponent’s resurrection shrine. In the area directly around the shrine, your opponents are given bonuses that make them much harder to kill. Remember, if your opponent attempts to hide in that area, you can capture the centre control point and score free points. You can also take the opportunity to capture the other control points on the map, which will make it much more difficult for your opponent to stage a comeback.

Most of the maps have an NPC control point. This point is especially valuable because the NPC not only fights but helps you capture control points faster. Having the NPC will give you a great advantage in trying to hold the centre control point. Always remember to keep an eye on the NPC control point, however. If your opponent takes control of that point, you immediately lose the NPC.

Hero Battles are sure to add a new and interesting dimension to competitive Guild Wars play. Be sure to check the Guild Wars website for more tips and Hero Battle strategies!

well well well...could this rekindle my love for GW? No pesky n44bs to take in account, just you and NPC's. Looks good!

- Coach

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:12 am
Stranger

Am i missing something? whats the point? just the pleasure of kicking your opponents butt?

Be well or Get Help!!

Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:57 am
Felix Rex

the heroes are kinda like super henches. You can customize their skills, attributes, equipment, and behaviour, and you can have up to 3 of them. So 2 people can fill up a party of 8....2 humans and 6 heroes. Since they're so customizable, you could build some really nice stuff. No more idiot henchies aggroing everything.

err...I heard about the hero pvp stuff...that's a bit different. But the hero thing sounds like a great idea.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

meh i'm only interested in the fact i can take heros with me instead ofn ormal henchies. Super-Stefan! wooooooot! stuff Thom. hehe

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]