Teleportation on the move! 
Minor Diety

Post Teleportation on the move!
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/10 ... index.html

Quote:
Scientists teleport two different objects
POSTED: 7:13 a.m. EDT, October 5, 2006
Adjust font size:
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Beaming people in "Star Trek" fashion is still in the realms of science fiction, but physicists in Denmark have teleported information from light to matter bringing quantum communication and computing closer to reality.

Until now scientists have teleported similar objects such as light or single atoms over short distances from one spot to another in a split second.

But Professor Eugene Polzik and his team at the Niels Bohr Institute at Copenhagen University in Denmark have made a breakthrough by using both light and matter.

"It is one step further because for the first time it involves teleportation between light and matter, two different objects. One is the carrier of information and the other one is the storage medium," Polzik explained in an interview on Wednesday.

The experiment involved for the first time a macroscopic atomic object containing thousands of billions of atoms. They also teleported the information a distance of half a meter but believe it can be extended further.

"Teleportation between two single atoms had been done two years ago by two teams, but this was done at a distance of a fraction of a millimeter," Polzik, of the Danish National Research Foundation Center for Quantum Optics, explained.

"Our method allows teleportation to be taken over longer distances because it involves light as the carrier of entanglement," he added.

Quantum entanglement involves entwining two or more particles without physical contact.

Although teleportation is associated with the science-fiction series "Star Trek," no one is likely to be beamed anywhere soon.

But the achievement of Polzik's team, in collaboration with the theorist Ignacio Cirac of the Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics in Garching, Germany, marks an advancement in the field of quantum information and computers, which could transmit and process information in a way that was impossible before.

"It is really about teleporting information from one site to another site. Quantum information is different from classical information in the sense that it cannot be measured. It has much higher information capacity and it cannot be eavesdropped on. The transmission of quantum information can be made unconditionally secure," said Polzik whose research is reported in the journal Nature.

Quantum computing requires manipulation of information contained in the quantum states, which include physical properties such as energy, motion and magnetic field, of the atoms.

"Creating entanglement is a very important step, but there are two more steps at least to perform teleportation. We have succeeded in making all three steps -- that is entanglement, quantum measurement and quantum feedback," he added.

- Coach

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:54 pm
Minor Diety

Holy shit. I just thought teleportation was fantasy.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:39 pm
Stranger

No really, you are just a butterfly having a dream of being a human.

Be well or Get Help!!

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:55 pm
Minor Diety

Nobody ever suspects, the butterfly! Muahahaha. :twisted:

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:39 pm
Felix Rex

just a small primer on quantum teleportation for the quantum mechanics nubs.

Basically, what happens with quantum teleportation is that you 'entangle' two atoms (we'll start with a single atom). Entanglement basically relates the two in a quantum way...err...look it up. *cough*

It is then possible to "read" the spin of the first atom and transfer it to the second, without looking at it (since looking at it could change it, as we all know). This causes the first atom to be destroyed....or at least the information of its spin destroyed.

So...basically....one atom's exacty properties are exactly transferred to a second atom, thereby "destroying" the first. Teleportation? Kinda. Also, it doesn't happen instantly...it happens at the speed of light. I think. But it doesn't break any laws of relativity.

It's still cool...but if you scale it up to, say, humans....

You have ox standing in a cage and a blob of random atoms sitting in a cage on Mars.

You hit the "teleport" button.

Ox on Earth gets reduced to just random atom mush.

The teleporatation "beam" flies across the solar system.

A couple minutes later, it hits Mars, and the random chunk of atoms takes on the exact atomic characteristics of what was on Earth before the button was pushed.

So...does that mean he teleported? Maybe. Is the real Ox dead and the new Ox a "clone"? Does he still think? Did he ever think? Did his "soul" get transferred (assuming you believe in them, and assuming Ox still has one)? Who knows.

All I know is that other people get to be teleported before I do.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:47 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

If it's an EXACT physiological copy of a human being, then it'll work just fine. Not that I'd volunteer to go first or anything. :)

The military and its grunts will take care of that problem. "Hey, you wanna get promoted to sarge? All you have to do is sit in this chair". :wink:

- Coach

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:11 am
Minor Diety

Don't make ridiculous assumptions. Ox has no soul.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:32 pm
Minor Diety

Lies!! Just yesterday, some hoofed guy offered 20 quid for it!

needless to say I'm gonna take up the sucker on that offer. Can't lose!

- Coach

Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:27 am
Felix Rex

speaking of souls and selling them for beer, I picked up a 3-pack of Satan beer. Expensive. However, I'm definetely looking forward to sucking down some Satan.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Speaking of strange bevarages, i recently had some Red Dragon ale. Its Welsh. Enough said.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:25 pm
Minor Diety

Did it make you act like a peasant...a really ugly one? :lol:

Satan beer is pretty good. Not spectacular, but good. I like Judas beer better when it comes to evil-sounding beers. But nothing beats Duvel! I'm planning a trip down to the Westvleteren abbey some time btw...it's supposed to be a massive beer but I haven't had it yet (because the demand is high and the supply is low you either don't get the beer or pay for it at severely overpriced rates...which I can't afford :P )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westvleteren

- Coach

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:24 pm
Minor Diety

Aw man, all this talk of beer is making me dribble. Not that i know the differences of taste. To me its all the same, but its all good. :lol:

Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:32 pm
Minor Diety

Ox, maybe you haven't heard it but the system in Westvleteren has changed. Instead of waiting in line they now have a telephone order system. Don't know exactly how it works though. Has to do with the monks not having time for prayer anymore with the old system. :)

My last Satan is from some weeks ago btw :wink:

~King of Thieves~

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:32 am
Minor Diety

Hehehe...everyone loves the golden liquid that is called beer! Some for its exquisite taste, some because they wanna get pissed (Derf, and all of us occasionally ;) ).

I heard about the changes at Westvleteren J...I guess I'll be checking their site for their phonenumber or something. :) Thanks for reminding me though!

A pic of tonight's dinner :) Now this is what i call a meal! I feel so....satisfied and the different elements are excellently mingling in my stomach. Ftw.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:22 pm
Minor Diety

As an added bonus: tomorrow's dinner! :twisted:

Actually, I bought the cat's food for my neighbourhood cats. Really. :roll:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

- Coach

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next