It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2024 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Kids turned into softies 
Minor Diety

Post Kids turned into softies
Man, check out this article. Basically they encourage kids to be average and become sissies. :)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/08/08/pa ... index.html

Quote:
AP) -- Penny Grossman cringes each time a student mentions a birthday party during class at her Boston, Massachusetts-area preschool. The rule there, and at a growing number of America's schools, is that parties and play-dates shouldn't be discussed unless every child in the room is invited.

Gone are the days when a kindergartner dropped a handful of party invites in the classroom cubbyholes of their closest buddies. Today, if anyone is excluded the invitations can't be handed out at school.

The idea that protecting kids from rejection is crucial to safeguarding their self-esteem has gained momentum in recent years.

Take Valentine's Day: At some schools, a second-grader can't offer paper valentines or heart-shaped candies to a short list of pals and secret crushes anymore. They give cards to everyone or no one at all.

Or sports: In many towns, scorekeeping no longer happens at soccer or softball games played by kids under 8 or 9. Win or lose, every player in the league gets a trophy at the season's end.

As with many child-rearing trends, some parents and educators see wisdom where others spot foolishness. Many see a mixture of both.

"You try and do things gently when they're little because it is still hard," says Grossman, who is raising two teenagers while teaching preschool. "But I think this is a problem, and it's a growing one, because kids grow up and have this inflated sense of self-worth. Whether they earn anything, it's always a trophy. They have no sense that you have to work hard for some things."

Susan Reel, a mother of two living in Madison, Connecticut, doesn't see a downside to inviting the whole class to a birthday party.

"When they're in first and second grade, their friends are so day-to-day. It's who they played with yesterday," she says. "So to pick one or the other is shortsighted on the parents' part."

She believes that schools are paying more attention to children's feelings because they understand better today the damage done when a small group of kids is consistently excluded.

"When we went to school, people were bullied. Now we know kids have a much greater instance of suicide and depression when they've been bullied," she says.

Jolie Nichols, also a mother of two, disagrees. She believes kids in her Minneapolis neighborhood would benefit from competing for a trophy or handling a mild bit of rejection.

"It's just natural and it's realistic to have to deal with these things," she says. At her 7-year-old daughter's gymnastics class, everyone receives the same ribbon or medal for their performance, regardless of how well they've done.

Rather than imparting self-esteem, some experts believe this gives kids an unhealthy sense of entitlement.

"Self-esteem comes from those feelings you have about yourself for a job well done, for when you have achieved something," says Dr. Georgette Constantinou, administrative director of pediatric psychiatry at Akron Children's Hospital in Ohio. "It's not something you pour into your children."

She feels that many parents aren't equipping their kids to manage basic challenges.

"How do you expect them to handle life's big bumps if they haven't experienced the little ones?" she asks.

No one disagrees that disappointment is real: There are contests we all lose, parties we're excluded from. But what motivates so many parents to postpone that reality until their children reach the age of 10 or beyond?

For one thing, kids' lives are so tightly scheduled today that we're enrolling smaller and smaller children in organized activities. It may be true that 6-year-olds aren't ready to handle losing a T-Ball championship; a generation ago, 6-year-olds wouldn't have even been playing team sports.

Parents may also be reacting to their own economic and career stress by trying to protect their kids from it.

"This group is balancing things that previous generations haven't had to balance," says Constantinou. "The number of women in the work force is phenomenal, probably the largest since the war years, so you have a lot more stressed parents."

Busy parents turn to schools and other care-givers for help, says Mike Sanchez, co-owner of Camp Innovation, a Houston, Texas-area day camp. It does offer competitive games, but also gives each camper an award each week.

"I tell counselors, always find something specific about the kids," Sanchez says. "It helps with parents who say they may not be cleaning at home or working well with a brother or sister. We work on it, and then give them an award for best spirit of the week, best cleaner of the week."

Critics of the trend worry about a generation of kids who haven't experienced rejection or failure -- especially compared with countries such as China and Japan, where a focus on competition defines the lives of many children.

Learning to compete, says Nichols, is vital. "It sets them up for real life things like a job," she says. "It helps people develop their skills."

Man, no bullying, everyone wins trophies, nobody 'wins' for real, everyone must be invited to every party...WTF?! How do they learn to cope with the fact that they're potentially

- assholes that no one invites if they have a choice
- suck at sports or games
- are dumb
- are ugly

The world's a fucked up place, and the sooner you realize it the better. :) I say it's blah that kids could become depressed from not protecting them from everything...there are kids who go through a whoooole lotta more of shit in the third world and don't end up suicidal. Besides, if you're really intelligent you will realize that it would be a complete shame to deny the world your greatness. I know that's what I realized when i was young!

- Coach

Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:52 am
Minor Diety

The world for adults is getting more and more competitive, and the world for kids less and less. Sounds like a huge problem for adolescents ten years from now.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:22 am
Felix Rex

that's already a problem. It's just going to get worse. Alot of people come out of high school (and even college) now expecting stuff to be handed to them, or stuff to be easy, or whatever. And they're wrong. So they fail absolutely and completely at everything they do until they learn to really apply themselves.

It's sad. The world is a hard, rough place. Don't screw the kids up by making them think otherwise.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
King

ha, I dont know why these teachers are prolonging the inevitable. Once they get to highschool it only gets worse.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:12 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

that's already a problem. It's just going to get worse. Alot of people come out of high school (and even college) now expecting stuff to be handed to them, or stuff to be easy, or whatever. And they're wrong. So they fail absolutely and completely at everything they do until they learn to really apply themselves.

It's sad. The world is a hard, rough place. Don't screw the kids up by making them think otherwise.

I think I read an article about that, something about kids being taught a 'you can do/become anything if you set your mind to it' mantra by their parents, then finish high school and are faced with the reality of things (that most of them are stupid fuckers with a bright future as a janitor ahead of them :twisted: ).

Is it really a 'social issue' in the states or were you just playing a grumpy old man Satis? :P

- Coach

Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:16 pm
Minor Diety

Couple of years back I saw something on TV that really made me retch. I'd not long finished my A-Levels (exams at 18 for non-english) and GCSEs (compulsory exams at 16) and had failed, yes FAILED art with only getting a D.

Now, this news cast that I saw was stating that they would no longer refer to D or less as a fail. I forget the term that was used, but it basically amounted to being referred to as a "almost passed, well done, have a gold star!"

At the time (and now) I thought this was so stupid... I mean, in a job, you're not gonna learn what to do if the manager says "oh well nice try, not quite but you can have a bonus anyway!". You're gonna get a "Sell more stuff or you're fired". And a kid who doesn't get told he's failed isn't gonna work any harder. Ok, they're probably not gonna work harder anyway but still. Easiest way is just to keep A, B, C as passes and then simply have F for Fail. Why have D and E if they're still fails? Ok with A, B and C you can have easily passed, passed well and barely passed, but theres not much point in having a barely failed, failed badly and shouldn't have turned up. Companies and recruiters tend to discriminate against how well you passed, but if you failed, you failed. You're not gonna get in anywhere just coz you got an E instead of an F.

And with the Valentines day example. I can just see it now. A fresh-outta-uni 21 year old in a bar walks up to a girl. He asks her out. He gets a slap. He then wonders why, because everyone he gave a Valentine to has always given him one back... hmmm... lets see here...

Sure its upsetting to face rejection/failure/bullying at an early age, but its far easier then. Kids are good at bouncing back. Look how fast they start to cry, then within 5 minutes are laughing again. Compare that to how slowly an adult can go between the two extremes. It aint nice, but the sooner you get used to bad shit, the sooner you get used to getting over it.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

this issue seems to have concerned Pevil deeply. :p

And yea, this is a real problem. Not like 100% or something...some people still have good parents, some people have horrible parents and face reality at a yound age, and some people are smart enough to see how the world actually works. But it's still retarded.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol it does, coz i'll have to put up with the whiners ;) look at all the whiners you get in games already... they'll just spread to the rest of the world. Instead of reeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss pliiiiiiz, you'll be getting jooooooooooooob pliiiiz

bastards. ;)

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:03 am
Profile WWW
King

I agree with pev. It's probably safer....
Nah its stupid because treating everyone the same, no matter the talent or things like that just ruins excellence.

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:09 am
Felix Rex

isn't that what communism was about? And we all see how that turned out.

Unless it's a horrible red plot that's finally coming to fruition!

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Once again, echoes of PKD in this idea. :twisted: (Radio Free Albemuth mostly)

Seen the movie yet btw? If not you're all whores, cos it's not out here yet. :P

- Coach

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:55 pm
Felix Rex

nope, haven't seen it. It's only playing in two theatres in dallas...no general release. :( Bastards. Plus I'm lazy.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]