Goat gets demoted 
Minor Diety

Post Goat gets demoted
LMFAO

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/06 ... index.html

Quote:
Goat demoted for parade incident

Handler: Commander 'had no option but to demote Billy'

Saturday, June 24, 2006; Posted: 6:22 p.m. EDT (22:22 GMT)

Offbeat
Great Britain

LONDON, England (AP) -- A British army regiment's ceremonial pet goat was demoted in disgrace after it marched out of line before a host of international dignitaries during a parade to mark Queen's Elizabeth II's birthday, a military spokesman said Saturday.

The military mascot, a 6-year-old male goat called Billy, was downgraded from the rank of lance corporal to fusilier -- the same status as a private -- after army chiefs ruled his poor display had ruined the ceremony June 16 at a British army base in Episkopi, western Cyprus.

Lance Cpl. Dai Davies, 22, the goat's handler, was unable to keep control during the march earlier this month, as the mascot darted from side to side, throwing soldiers off their stride, spokesman Captain Crispian Coates said by telephone from Episkopi -- one of two British bases on the island.

"The goat, which has been the regiment's mascot since 2001, was supposed to be leading the march, but would not stay in line," said Coates. "He was reported for subordination and after consideration, the commanding officer decided he had no option but to demote Billy."

Since his demotion, soldiers of a lower rank are no longer expected to salute Billy as a sign of respect, Coates said.

Captain William Rose, a soldier present at the parade, said the goat "was trying to headbutt the waist and nether regions of the drummers."

The regiment, the 1st Battalion, The Royal Welsh, has traveled with a pet goat since soldiers adopted one of the animals during the Crimean War, awarding it ceremonial status as a lance corporal.

A total of 11 ceremonial pets -- including a ferret, an Indian black buck and a ram -- are kept by the British Army, but regiments do not take the mascots on tours to combat zones. British legislators were told last month that keeping the pets costs £30,000 ($55,000; €44,000) per year.

The Welsh regiment was presented with a goat from the Royal herd in 1746, and Billy is a descendant from the same bloodline, said a spokeswoman for Britain's Ministry of Defense, on customary condition of anonymity in line with policy.

"He is not a grazing goat and has food flown in from Wales. Billy also has an allowance of two cigarettes a day -- both of which he eats," said the spokeswoman.

Ambassadors from Spain, Sweden, the Netherlands, a United Nations special representative and the head of U.N. forces in Cyprus all attended the march, Coates added.

So, if I read it right, the goat was a superior of regular privates before it got demoted? hahahaha.

- Coach

Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:35 pm
Minor Diety

Mm having to salute to a goat .. military must be great :)

Btw: British legislators were told last month that keeping the pets costs £30,000 ($55,000; €44,000) per year.

Anyone else feels this is money thrown into the garbage can?

~King of Thieves~

Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:48 am
Minor Diety

The whole army is money in the bin. I know the kind of people in the army, i've met them. Heck I work with someone in the TA and if he was in charge of saving us from terrorists... well I'd probably swap sides ;)

Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Emperor

Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

mascots always outrank all the privates. In fact, they're usually officers. That way if someone injures/kills the goat, they get in REALLY deep crap.

But, yea, that's pretty friggin' stupid. I've never heard of a unit marching with their stupid mascot.

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

mascots always outrank all the privates. In fact, they're usually officers. That way if someone injures/kills the goat, they get in REALLY deep crap.

lmao...still, the idea that privates have to salute to the goat (or a freaking ferret, apparently one of the other mascots) is golden.

besides, why doesn't everyone run for lance corporal anyway? It can't be the hardest exam in the world, now can it? :roll:

Btw, how do the other "auto officers" things work again? Doctors are always officers right? And fighter pilots?

If I ever joined the army they'd better automatically make me into an officer. I outrank just about anybody in the army on coolness alone. :P

- Coach

Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:07 pm
Felix Rex

heh...with my experience, teh higher the rank, the LESS cool you are.

I'm not gonna waste time explaining military rank to you. I don't think you'll ever actually use the knowledge. :p

Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

You'd be surprised :twisted: If I ever ended up in the army, I would make a blitz career.

But yeah, chances are REALLY small I ever will end up there. :roll: I probably wouldn't pass the entry psychological tests anyway, being a dangerous egomaniac and all. But hey, they let you in so....hehehe.

- Coach

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:50 am
Felix Rex

heh...I'm smart enough to know how to properly lie on psych tests. Only a fool gets caught by those.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Good point. I'll just give socially acceptable answers, instead of my "I'd rat out my peloton to save my own ass" talk. :P

- Coach

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]