It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 4:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Spiderman revels himself to press 
King

Post Spiderman revels himself to press
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060614/en ... sspiderman

Quote:
Wed Jun 14, 4:10 PM ET

NEW YORK (AFP) - For a comic book hero, it's the ultimate taboo.

In the latest edition of the Marvel comic "Civil War" on sale, Spiderman does the unthinkable and removes his Spidey mask to publicly reveal his hidden identity.

"I'm proud of who I am, and I'm here right now to prove it," the legendary webslinger tells a press conference called in New York's Times Square, before pulling off his mask and standing before the massed ranks of reporters as newspaper photographer Peter Parker.

"Any questions?" Parker asks in the final panel of the issue, amid a barrage of camera flashes.

In a statement, Marvel trumpeted the revelation as "arguably the most shocking event in comic book history."

The seven-issue "Civil War" series, launched in May, sees Marvel's writers taking on the topical issue of civil liberties.

Following a showdown between a group of superheroes and supervillains in which hundreds of innocent civilians are killed, the government passes the Super-Hero Registration Act, requiring all superheroes to reveal their identities and register as "living weapons of mass destruction."

Marvel's roster of invincible crime fighters is split into two bitterly opposed factions, with one camp -- championed by the likes of Spiderman -- in favour of the new law and the other, including Captain America and his ilk, refusing to relinquish anonymity.

"It's about which side you are on and why you think you are right," said Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada.

GO CAPTIN AMERICA!

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:51 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

lol....hard hitting, topical, thought provoking ... not things I associate with comic books, I'm afraid.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Does Ox count as a living weapon of mass destruction?

Sounds lame though, which superhero would identify himself .. that's the thing with superheros, nobody knows who they are!! To protect their relatives, family, etc. for instance.

Civil rights .. pff, maybe a bit farfetched?

~King of Thieves~

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:56 am
Minor Diety

And Satis, I disagree...comic books can definitely be art, and I rank them up there with actual literature. But of course there are degrees, Marvel comics are hardly what you'd call 'high art'. ;) But that goes for those gazillions dimestore girly novels at the train stations too.

I think some games are art, too. If movies and books can be art, why can't comic books? They're basically what lies between those two mediums.

- Coach

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:11 am
Felix Rex

well, to me there are comic books, and there are graphic novels. The latter is where the art comes in. Comics in and of themselves....bleh. Most superheroes are friggin' lame, though. My favorite super heroes are the ones that aren't inherently super...like Batman and the Punisher. They're badasses because their tough and have cool tech toys. :)

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol, I have a preference for certain villains. Guys like Juggernaut and Rhino. :P Both cos they're kinda tragic; powerful to immensely powerful yet unable to properly wield it cos they're dumb brutes. There might be a pattern here. :P Apocalypse always is cool too, cos of his ties with Egyptian mythology.

Erh, anyway...granted, you could make the distiction graphic novel/comic. I always tell people about Enki Bilal's masterpieces; mainly the Nikopol trilogy.

Quote:
The Nikopol Trilogy -

The Nikopol Trilogy brings together three previously published volumes Carnival of Mortals, Woman Trap and Cold Equator all impressive works of imagination meticulously written, drawn and colored by European comics artist Bilal. It's the year 2023 and Alcide Nikopol has been revived from a state of suspended animation after 30 years orbiting Earth. In the meantime, the planet has suffered two nuclear wars, and France is ruled by the ruthless dictator J.F. Choublanc. The immortal gods of Egyptian antiquity have also reawakened to revive their rule over humanity, and they now hover above the crumbling technopolis of Paris in a massive stone pyramid/airship. Horus, the renegade falcon god, takes possession of Nikopol's body, rendering him immortal, and concocts a conspiracy to overthrow the Choublanc regime. When Nikopol cracks under the pressure of Horus's possession, he is reduced to muttering the poetry of Baudelaire while he wanders the halls of a mental hospital. "Woman Trap" picks up two years later in a war-torn London. Blue-haired news correspondent Jill Bioskop dispatches stories 30 years into the past using a device called a scriptwriter, while she takes pills to eradicate the bloody memories of men she has murdered. In "Cold Equator" the story is further complicated as Nikopol's son boards a train bound for Equator City, an African metropolis afflicted with a freezing micro-climate of minus-six degrees, but surrounded by desert and surrealistically populated by sub-Saharan wildlife. Intricate plot twists and stunning color artwork mark this work as both an extraordinary comics literary achievement and a crackling good story. --

- Coach

Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]