It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 6:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
The children of Guantanamo Bay 
King

Post The children of Guantanamo Bay
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/ame ... 620704.ece

Quote:
The notorious US detention camp in Guantanamo Bay has been hit by fresh allegations of human rights abuses, with claims that dozens of children were sent there - some as young as 14 years old.

Lawyers in London estimate that more than 60 detainees held at the terrorists' prison camp were boys under 18 when they were captured.

Sun May 28, 2006 6:24 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

I still don't understand Guantanamo. I doubt it ever stopped any terrorist attack and it's clearly a PR nightmare.

Sun May 28, 2006 7:12 am
Minor Diety

Exactly Arathorn. Guantanamo is almost a legitimation for ppl to attack the Americans in the Middle East. "Hey, if they don't have to keep to any sort of law, why should we?"

It's better for everyone that the Guanti Gulags are close down as soon as possible. :roll:

It's kinda funny really, the US has the death penalty, gulags, secret torture facilities and lies to the world about WMD's in Iraq. And here we are telling off Iran for wanting to make a nuclear bomb. Slight lol.

- Coach

Mon May 29, 2006 7:09 am
King

Exactly Arathorn. Guantanamo is almost a legitimation for ppl to attack the Americans in the Middle East. "Hey, if they don't have to keep to any sort of law, why should we?"

It's better for everyone that the Guanti Gulags are close down as soon as possible. :roll:

It's kinda funny really, the US has the death penalty, gulags, secret torture facilities and lies to the world about WMD's in Iraq. And here we are telling off Iran for wanting to make a nuclear bomb. Slight lol.

The US is like one big person that thinks they are christian but they are not.
The majority of people who support the war on terror are against abortion. How can a christian support killing "terrorist" but not support killing unborn babies? Your either for killing or against it. Its ridiculous. I have to admit I was one of those people until I realised that I was wrong. It basiclly comes down to playing on weak peoples fears.

Mon May 29, 2006 8:30 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

wmd - there's been no proof that the US knowingly lied to the world about WMD in Iraq.

For the rest...sure. But we still have an armed populace, freedom of speech (mostly), free press, the ability to leave our country at will, unfettered access to the internet, and lots and lots of guns.

Iran has few or none of those. Also, regardless of how much you hate push, he'll be gone in two years and replaced by someone else. Can you say the same for Iran? Besides which, we haven't use a nuclear weapon in war since their initial unveiling against the japanese. That's 60 years of not pushing any buttons. I'm still expecting India and Pakistan to start lobbing crap at each other. I wonder how long it would be before Iran pops one off at Israel, or shakes them threateningly toward the rest of hte middle east while 'repatriating' large tracts of Iraq.

Mon May 29, 2006 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Well yeah, I by no means want to say that the US and Iran are the same and I wouldn't have any problems deciding where I'd rather live, out of those two. :) I was mostly trying to point out that certain aspects of the current US policy (Guantamo in particular) aren't exactly making a better case for its cause. Rather the opposite.

Besides, Bush disappearing might not change all that much...the neoconservative lobby is pretty powerful so I don't exclude another similar president coming into power. Wasn't Bush trying to get rid off Guantanamo lately too? I vaguely recall reading something about that.

Anyway...the big problem with the current policy is legitimation, imo. I'm not naive, I don't pretend that the world is a shiny happy place where people (friend or foe) don't break geneva conventions and drink a beer after blowing each other up all day. :) But you can't make a war work when your modus operandi is just about similar of the -supposedly 'evil' (cfr. Bush rhetorics)- people or forces you're fighting. That's when it gets all grey and hazy...I'll obviously stick with the US when it comes down to it (even though Muslim theocracy is not THAT bad if you're a dude ;) jk), but I can't say I feel very sympathetic about their efforts in the Middle East.

- Coach

Wed May 31, 2006 5:14 am
Felix Rex

that's it, i'm sending unmarked black helicopters to your location to take you to a secret CIA prison. Don't bother resisting or trying to run...we'll just blackmail your government into handing you over.

Wed May 31, 2006 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I shall never surrender, capitalist pig!! I will strike down your blackhawks with my mighty rusty knife! Allah Akhbar! :twisted: :roll:

- Coach

Wed May 31, 2006 12:03 pm
King

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Wed May 31, 2006 1:36 pm
Minor Diety

Allah will destroy your unholy razor with his righteous fury, infidel pig!!

Man, I bet the NSA is already tracking down my wannabe terrorist ass after these two posts. :roll:

On-topic:

http://useloos.com/media/ul/maagdenhemel/

- Coach

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:59 pm
Minor Diety

Hm useloos.com, didn't know that one yet. ;)

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:20 pm
Minor Diety

Man, I bet the NSA is already tracking down my wannabe terrorist ass after these two posts

I think "Allah Akhbar" may have roused their attention.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]