It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Regenerating Mice 
Felix Rex

Post Regenerating Mice
this is actually really cool. They've gotten mice that can regenerate stuff. Basically, scientists were able to cut off toes, tails, and damage ears, and the mice regenerated these. In the case of the toes, even the joint grew back. What's more amazing is they also damaged the heart and liver, and those too grew back. The only organ that didn't regenerate was the brain. Obviously this has some serious implications for medicine.

Story

They were also able to transfer the regenerative properties from one mouse to another using a simple injection. Neato! :P

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Cool stuff. Heard about something similar a while ago: researchers working with altered tissue on mice, that burned fat twice as fast and turned it into muscle tissue. They made mice that could run twice (!) as fast as a regular mice. That's impressive shit. :)

- Coach

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:50 pm
Minor Diety

Just one more step for me to create my super-zombie-legions.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Count

very cool yet as always in the hands of the wrong people - wonder what could happen if persued. I am not one to shun technology - hell I admit I am lazy and if I can have something make life easier go for it - however, at some point do we not wonder when the good is better than the bad? or vice versa? Dunno, guess I have read to many books about distopian futures. It is always in the back of my mind when some entity (corporation or government) will get out of hand and get a god complex and of shit there goes the neighborhood. Guess that is why we have guns?

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:53 pm
Felix Rex

I see this only as a good thing. It may prolong life (that's still being looked at, according to the article). The biggest defense against someone abusing it (ie, give us your life and we'll make you immortal) is that the effects seem to be permanent (no boosters needed) and, more importantly, can be transferred from someone that has it to someone that doesn't through a simple injection. Easy. All it would take would be one leak and the world would have the serum, or whatever. Great stuff. I love good viral things.

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Prolonging live is a bad thing. We are to populated as we are.

Rock Band [35%]

Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:04 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

- Coach

Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:58 am
Felix Rex

We should just sterilize everyone with a low IQ.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:23 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

or just everyone, then use our scientific knowledge to make babies from scratch.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:44 am
Profile WWW
King

or just everyone, then use our scientific knowledge to make babies from scratch.

Yea because bypassing nature is always the better option. It only took millions of years to perfect, is must be completely wrong right?

Yea, good idea. Lets sterilize everyone and make babies from scratch, that way when their is a natural disaster, and the technology used to do this gets wiped out, the human race will become extinct.

Smart thinking, lets start with you.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:39 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

The thing is, She'd agree with you, But she wouldn't be such an ass about it. If the world didn't have humans, earth would be better off.

Rock Band [35%]

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

fuck that. The earth is here for us, not the other way around. In my opinion, the survival of the race is more important than anything, including the earth. Then again, I'm personally more important than everything else in the universe....my survival is paramount.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

pevil wrote:

Yea because bypassing nature is always the better option. It only took millions of years to perfect, is must be completely wrong right?

Yea, good idea. Lets sterilize everyone and make babies from scratch, that way when their is a natural disaster, and the technology used to do this gets wiped out, the human race will become extinct.

Smart thinking, lets start with you.

i didnt tell you to wipe out nature. Besides, you're wrong, because I do think nature is the best way, which is why i hate the human race so much. What have we done for nature? And I dont mean replanting a couple of trees after we ripped down the other 300,000,000. I'm not gonna get into this topic again (did it years ago on Wt-o... wow. lol) and it upsets me when I do get into it. But dont assume things I didnt say. Besides, not to mention that but we're stuck with humans anyway.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]