It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2024 12:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
artificial meat? 
Felix Rex

Post artificial meat?
ugh....

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4439/

apparently it appears to be possible to grow meat in a lab. Would you like some artificial ribeye? Artificial chicken nuggets? *shiver*

Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
chicken nuggets are artificial enough as it is :?

Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:14 pm
Minor Diety

Lol, I thought KFC was already selling that.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:35 pm
Felix Rex

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.asp

Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Heh, I wasn't referring to that per se, but more to the general taste. Not that I have first-hand experience on KFC though, you won't get me in there with a stick.
By the way, I suppose those things don't grow bones? Then it will be the end of eating spareribs. I dread that day.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:06 pm
Minor Diety

Read about it somewhere and general reaction was: "Bah i can't imagine eating something grown in a lab, i prefer meat from a real animal".

I have no problems with artificial meat though, might be my scientific background dunno, but i doubt the meat we eat now is healthier/tastier than the meat they migth make in a lab. Once the technique is perfectionated of course.

~King of Thieves~

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:52 am
Minor Diety

If they could grow meat in labs on large scale, I'd eat it. They may even be able to make fat free meat. It'd stop battery farming, which would be nice, and maybe places would get wild animals again (such as wild cows chickens etc)

The only problem I see is the farmers will protest because they'll be out of the job.

But I think that so long as the meat is just as if not more healthy as the stuff that we eat already, I'm all for it. (Also so long as it is cheap to produce, and so cheap to buy)

And man, Do I love a good KFC.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:51 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

You're horrible. I refuse to eat anything that has "diet" or "light" stamped on it. That includes special fat free lab meat.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:51 am
King

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:52 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

rofl....I eat carefully now. I don't eat red meat very often...mainly chicken, pork and turkey. :) I also drink diet coke with splenda. :P But anyway....

...yea, I guess it depends how it tastes. If it's indistringuishable from regular meat, I guess I'd eat it, since it would be cheaper (at least theoretically). As for bones...if they can simulate meat, why can't they simulate bone?

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

To some degree mankind interferes in every category of food: fruit, vegetables, meat, milk, ... . This artificial meat would only be a next step, animals that supply meat aren't 'natural' nowadays, neither are the seeds that a farmer plants on his cornfield/whatverfield.
All are manipulated, specially selected, specially treated with idunnowhatkindofchemicals, ... .

So the vegetarian remark makes no real sense to me. You would just have to stop eating at all. And drinking as well.

Btw there isn't a big difference in making beer in a brewery or meat in a 'laboratory'. You just have to erase the "Labo = Man in white coat" picture for a minute. A brewery is a laboratory as well, where chemical and biological processes take place on a big scale. I haven't heard anyone say 'i stop drinking beer' here :P

~King of Thieves~

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:38 am
Minor Diety

Exactly, even "organic" stuff isn't that clean. The amount of waste products from making organic things alone is bad enough.

As stated - so long as it was indistinguishable (or rather, so long as it tasted as good if not better)

Question: What is it they are groing it from? Or what raw material are they using?

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

according to the article, they can take a single cell of animal muscle and cause it to divide in a lab environment a huge number of times. I believe that's the basis.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Mm, that's interesting. (the article and everything) I don't see what would be wrong with eating this meat. After all, it's just...meat. :)

I think that a good balanced diet with meat, fish, vegetables and carbohydrates (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes) beats just about any 'healthy' alternative way. We are omnivores, and we should eat accordingly. That said, a lot of people forget to eat fish...which makes for bad diets. We generally eat a disproportionate amount of fish compared to our forefathers, and our body generally has a demand for the proteins in it. But because of our industrialized lifestyle fish is no longer the cheap, poor man's food (quite the contrary). Ah well. I eat fish all the time, pretty much every two days, in small quantities.

And if a goat can eat electric cords, then i'm pretty sure we don't go down that quickly from sucky food. :) We'll live.

Btw, the 'bad food' thing is mainly in the US, so I can understand Satis' and 11b's stance. It's starting to 'spread' here too, but overall we're still doing ok atm. The difference in quality of food also explains the pretty large difference in average height between Americans and Western Europeans. Over here ppl are generally getting taller, in the US they are getting shorter, iirc. The average Dutchman (tallest 'civilized' people) is already a good few inches taller than the average American. :o

http://home.ku.edu.tr/~jhitz/Americans% ... 20toll.htm

Quote:
Researchers have made a startling discovery: Americans are shrinking. A nation once famed for its strapping, well-nourished youth is gradually diminishing in physical stature.

By contrast, the heights of men and women from Europe are increasing inexorably. The average Dutchman, whose country produces the Continent's loftiest men, is now more than six feet tall - almost two inches above his American counterpart. And he is still growing. Across the Netherlands hotel owners are lengthening beds and raising door mantles to stop the nation's tall youth suffering from irreparable anatomical damage.

- Coach

Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:11 am
Minor Diety

Across the Netherlands hotel owners are lengthening beds and raising door mantles to stop the nation's tall youth suffering from irreparable anatomical damage.

I wish they did that elsewhere in Europe too. Espescially in France, those people really have no idea that there are other people in the first place, but espescially that those people aren't they ugly little men they are. Their beds are horrible.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next