It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Possible Terrorist Attacks 
Felix Rex

shit, Patriot act was extended? Did they pass Patriot II, or just an extension on 1? Either way, it sucks ass. Welcome to 1984. I hope you checked your free thought at the door.

I like the comparison screenshots, btw.

Did you hear about the guy that got blasted by british police? I read it from a couple different venues, just in case the accounts were 'tarnished'....sounds like undercover cops were chasing some guy, basically threw him on the ground, and then shot him 5 times. No evidence of a weapon, though the guy was wearing a heavy coat.

Sounds mildly gestapo.

San Diego Times
Sify News, India
Scotsman

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:45 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I don't understand that either, it seems like they already nailed him down, then shot him, but why would they? Can't you just knock him out?

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:59 am
Felix Rex

yea, from the articles it sounded like the guy was scared shitless...not exactly what someone about to go suicide bomb should look like, eh? Also supposedly there were a bunch of undercover cops, not just one. You'd think that many would be able to take one fat little asian dude. That whole situation is fishy, imo. It's funny....while I was looking for news links, it became harder to find ones describing the whole 'pushed him down and shot him' thing....almost like a bit of censorship is in effect. Several just mentioned the police were chasing a suspected suicide bomber and the bomber was shot. Makes you wonder.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:04 am
Profile WWW
King

Quote:
Police would not say which armed unit was involved. Ordinary police officers in London do not usually carry guns, but some special units do, and armed police have become a more common sight on the streets in recent years.

Maybe he knew something he wasnt supposed to.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:43 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

I'm eager to hear the press conference about this, but it's been delayed. Perhaps they had been following the terrorist for some time, and knew what he was going to do.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:02 am
Felix Rex

hey, if you live in England, you may have to give up any encryption keys you have if the police ask you to. :lol: And better watch you don't use the internet inappropriately.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

yea, from the articles it sounded like the guy was scared shitless...not exactly what someone about to go suicide bomb should look like, eh? Also supposedly there were a bunch of undercover cops, not just one. You'd think that many would be able to take one fat little asian dude. That whole situation is fishy, imo. It's funny....while I was looking for news links, it became harder to find ones describing the whole 'pushed him down and shot him' thing....almost like a bit of censorship is in effect. Several just mentioned the police were chasing a suspected suicide bomber and the bomber was shot. Makes you wonder.

Yuppa. That's why it's good to check sources like Al Jazeera for a more general pov. They're often biased to the other side of things on the whole terrorism blah, but it's something of a counterbalance for our media. Etc.

There was the thing about a US soldier blasting an unarmed wounded dude in a mosque in Fallujah a few months ago. One of the 'embedded journalists' caught it on tape and released it, but according to an American pal of mine the actual video itself was hardly (if at all) shown in the US media, just stills from it. I saw the video here and at some arabic news sites with different to very different commentary though, also makes you wonder. On a sidenote: the US soldier was put under investigation, but cleared because of lack of evidence. like wtf? They got a tape of him shooting the guy, and eye witnesses in the reporter and the camera guy. lolol. :) (no, I'm not that naive to think that this doesn't happen, just saying that if you courtmartial him with such evidence at least some kind of official 'disapproval' should be shown, if only for PR reasons. :roll: )

Point being: never trust the Man. Only if I am that man. :)

EDIT: also, the reporter making those shots and releasing them has since been accused of countless things such as not being a true American (whatever the feck that is), commie scum and so forth. A lot of death treats too. The guy's a veteran war reporter, so well, I guess the reaction shows how 'free' such news really is. You can clear it, but if you do a lot of ppl will hate you. Woohoo.

- Coach

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:07 pm
Felix Rex

I saw the video. It was screwed up, and the guy cleared. I thought he was cleared because it was a warzone and it was considered within the rules of engagement to blast him because of the possibility of the enemy boobytrapping dead/wounded (which they had done in the past).

Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

But you've got the net and better acces to that info Satis, many ppl don't. And yeah, the situation was judged 'ambiguously enough' to not persecute the marine. Check out

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4646406

and the audio story there. It's about 8 minutes long, a basic interview with Sites (the guy shooting the vid) and a very neutral and balanced approach of the situation. It's really good. The video is supposed also there but it doesn't work for me.

Personally, I think he should the marine should have at least been given something of a punishment. I understand the factors involved, but letting this pass completely is not really a good thing for anyone. Show this video to ppl who hate the US in the Middle East and tell them the guy was cleared from all charges = grade A propaganda without even twisting facts. (just obscuring them slightly :wink: )

- Coach

Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:37 am
King

Pressure on U.S. to Use More Surveillance

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) - Pressure is building for greater use of video cameras to keep watch over the nation's cities - particularly in transportation systems and other spots vulnerable to terrorism - after the bombings in London.

The calls have come over the last few weeks as British investigators released surveillance footage of the bombers in the deadly July 7 attacks and then put out frames of suspects in Thursday's failed attacks.

"I do not think that cameras are the big mortal threat to civil liberties that people are painting them to be," Washington, D.C., Mayor Anthony A. Williams said Friday.

He's not alone. While privacy advocates question their effectiveness, Sen. Hillary Clinton called for New York City subway officials to install more cameras, even though officials said some 5,000 cameras are already in use across all modes of city travel. In Stamford, Conn., Mayor Dan Malloy said it's time to revisit a 1999 ordinance that limited cameras to watching traffic.

In many other spots around the country, cameras already are in place.

"In general, I think we're getting used to cameras. Hey, that's just the way the world is," said Roy Bordes, who runs an Orlando, Fla.-based security design consultant firm.

Consider these recent developments:

- Chicago now has at least 2,000 surveillance cameras across its neighborhoods, after leaders last year launched an ambitious project at a cost of roughly $5 million. Law enforcement says they've helped drive crime rates to the lowest they've seen in 40 years.

- In Philadelphia, where the city has increasingly relied on video surveillance, cameras caught an early morning murder which ultimately led to the capture of a suspect. Police say the accused is now a suspect in an unsolved murder from 1998.

- Homeland Security officials last week announced they would install hundreds of surveillance cameras and sensors on a rail line near the Capitol at a cost of $9.8 million, months after an effort by local officials to ban hazardous shipments on the line.

In most cases prior to the last few years, street crime - not terrorism - was the driving factor behind the cameras. There has also been a boom in traffic-monitoring cameras, and huge reliance on surveillance cameras in private business, especially in retail establishments like convenience and department stores.

Security experts say that technology hasn't yet caught up with hopes for the equipment, however.

They point out that despite London's huge network of cameras, the bombings weren't prevented. In those two cases, the cameras have only helped in the investigations.

One significant weakness is that the images caught by camera can't automatically link to a list of known terrorist suspects - not that that would have helped in London, as men identified as bombers weren't on any watch lists.

"I haven't heard of anything being successful that allows us to prevent something by flashing up on a screen somewhere a positive identification of someone on a terrorist database," said Jack Lichtenstein with ASIS international, a Washington-based organization of security officials. Still, "that's where we're headed," he said.

Privacy advocates say the London bombings should persuade policymakers to stay away from surveillance rather than invest in it. It doesn't prevent terrorism, and at best only encourages terrorists to shift their target, they argue.

"Let's say we put cameras on all the subways in New York City, and terrorists bomb movie theaters instead. Then it's a total waste of money," said Bruce Schneier, author of "Beyond Fear: Thinking Sensibly about Security in an Uncertain World."

It's not much more likely to catch a terrorist than the random searches that New York officials have begun conducting on subways, he said. Better to spend money on intelligence resources to prevent attacks and emergency training to respond to them, he said.

But in Stamford, Conn., a city on a train line that runs to New York, Mayor Malloy said potential targets like trains, hospitals and water reservoirs should all be monitored, with regulations to guard against snooping on private homes, parks and other unlikely targets.

Man Killed in London Not Linked to Blasts

Quote:
LONDON - Police identified the man who was chased down in a subway and shot to death by plainclothes officers as a Brazilian and said Saturday they no longer believed he was tied to the recent terror bombings.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:57 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

Quote:
Witnesses said he was wearing a heavy, padded coat when plainclothes police chased him into a subway car, pinned him to the ground and shot him about five times in the head and torso.

...and the guy did nothing wrong. In fact, he was a Catholic Brazilian national with no tie to Islam or terrorism. Yet he was chased down, held down, and blown away by police. And what happened to the guys that killed him? Not a damn thing. What a fucked up world we live in.

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:23 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

heh, imagine you're strolling down London with a tan, see all sorts of police rounding you up, you panic and are shot on sight. woohoo. :roll:

So now the Uk is shooting ppl on sight and the US has its very own gulag. I'm glad we weren't in Iraq, might buy us some credit. A bombing will probably be inevitable with EU seat in Brussels, but meh, let's hope I stay out of harm's way.

- Coach

Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:45 pm
Minor Diety

I think a bombing in Amsterdam is more likely. I haven't heard any terrorists talking about the EU, they probably think it's irrelevant (wich it is in this case). Or in Paris off course, plenty of disgruntled muslims over there in France.

Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:11 am
King

The ghost of Richard Nixon told me France is next. The he said he "wasnt a crook"

Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:49 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

I think we're just hoping it's France next.

Maybe someone'll plant a nuclear device on the eiffel tower. But superman'll probably just fly it into space, setting off a chain of event that ends up with superman becoming human. :(

Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next