It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 5:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
more movies 
Stranger

Still it beats the crap out of SW any day.

Be well or Get Help!!

Sun May 29, 2005 1:54 pm
Felix Rex

*hunts down Peltz for murdering purposes.

Sun May 29, 2005 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Saw war of the worlds today, and I was pleasantly surprised. Especially for the first 1.5 hours. As far as hollywood blockbusters go, the movie was frightening and dark...the lines between 'good' and 'bad' are very blurry (and are sometimes crossed), movies with Cruise tend to do that lately. Which is nice.

The depiction of the invaders is superb. I never much liked Spielberg, but the way he handled Wells' novel and took it to 21sth century America is first-rate.

The last part of the movie is a bit lame, but then again it also is in the book...very crappy Deus Ex Machina stuff. Still, overall impressions is good to very good. I highly recommend it...make sure you pick a cinema with good sound installation, cos the combination of the impressive effects and seat-vibrating noises is awesome.

Erh...so anyone else seen this pic yet?

- Coach

Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:12 pm
Minor Diety

I haven't seen it, but every review I saw of it totally wrecked it.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:20 am
Minor Diety

Mm, I've seen it get good reviews...and well, I am a sci-fi fan. So I could have been biased. :)

- Coach

Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:03 am
Minor Diety

Just saw The Seven Samurai. It's a movie from 1954, but it's groundbreaking for it's time. In fact, it's still brilliant. If you ever come across it, don't be held back by the black and white screen, it's really worth the 3,5 hours of your life.

Off course, I like sword fighting movies, so I could have been biased, :wink: but the charactar development is very good too.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:01 pm
Minor Diety

Saw war of the worlds today, and I was pleasantly surprised. Especially for the first 1.5 hours. As far as hollywood blockbusters go, the movie was frightening and dark...the lines between 'good' and 'bad' are very blurry (and are sometimes crossed), movies with Cruise tend to do that lately. Which is nice.

The depiction of the invaders is superb. I never much liked Spielberg, but the way he handled Wells' novel and took it to 21sth century America is first-rate.

The last part of the movie is a bit lame, but then again it also is in the book...very crappy Deus Ex Machina stuff. Still, overall impressions is good to very good. I highly recommend it...make sure you pick a cinema with good sound installation, cos the combination of the impressive effects and seat-vibrating noises is awesome.

Erh...so anyone else seen this pic yet?

Yeh, ive seen this too.

I think its typical garbage.

There is lots to look at but there is nothing to think about. It has a few flaws.

1) If the aliens have been planning this for 1 million years, how come they havent discovered that the little organism in the air/water kills them?

2) The whole scene with that crazy guy in the basement where theyre being searched by that "eye" thing. It moves too slowly for advanced technology and secondly, its dumb. If it were from the future, it would be computer-aided to spot differences in the areas it's scanned (the mirror).

3) The end is a heavy dissappointment. Its as if they were thinking "damn, how do we end this piece of shit?... I know, something small and everywhere makes them die!".

4) Why the fuck does Cruise kill that crazy guy? He just could of got the fuck out of the house, or try to talk to him?

5) The whole scene at the end where they re-unite. The film failed so much as to get me emotionally involved into this family that i couldnt give a shit about them re-uniting. Infact, i thought it would have been better if they all died.

Conclusion
------------

I think WotW was once a book or an old film. Therefore its style is old. This attempt to give it a modern face lift has deformed its original qualities. The movie is mainly a theatrical sensory extravaganza rather than a quality emotional thinker.

Score: 6/10

Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:14 am
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
not sure if that conclusion took the piss or what, but the book that the film is based on (pfft) was written in 1898 so i think we can let them off regarding the old style

educate yourself goddammit :wink:

http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/bookhome.htm

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:35 am
Felix Rex

...does Derf seriously not know the origin of War of the Worlds? :shock:

So....the deus ex machina of bacteria was a foregone conclusion that probably wasn't quite as lame when it was originally written. Anyway, blah...

Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I DO know the origin of WotW. It is obviously an old story that was obviously amazing at first. However, like i said, the modern depiction is toss.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:16 am
Felix Rex

heh...ok, good to know you're not totally ignorant.

If you're saying that WotW should be a total reimagining, sure, I'm cool with that. Keep the general idea of a martian invasion, toss out the plot contrivance of bacterial murder, and come up with something original. I'll back that idea.

Personally, I would like to see a movie like this that's more realistic to what would probably happen. IE, people dying in droves to take out the bastards. No deus ex machina, no silver bullet, no 'computer virus that happens to run on alien operating systems and crashes their asses'. I want an old-fashioned slugging match where the humans get smashed repeatedly, but our advantage in numbers/tactics/strategy/innovation/balls gets us the win. I always got a chubby thinking about what independence day COULD have been...aliens and humans, slugging it out, mass destruction and death.... :twisted:

Anyway, it'll never happen. Hollywood is full of liberal pussies.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

[4) Why the fuck does Cruise kill that crazy guy? He just could of got the fuck out of the house, or try to talk to him?

The house was in a field of dead ppl being constantly monitored by the aliens, basically. As for talking...the guy was crazy, that usually doesn't help much. There's a connection between the two reasons stated above too, see: the crazy guy would attract attention from the aliens cos he's crazy. He wouldn't listen to Cruise so he killed him to protect himself and his daughter, tadaa! :wink:

lol@ the book thing. Do you really think a modern movie would have made the cut with such story end? :) Like I said, the ride was good for 1.5 hours. It kicked the crap outta other alien attack movies, this one was actually eery at times. Darker atmosphere etc.

@ Satis: I saw more ppl "die" in this movie than most disaster movies stacked on each other, so well...

- Coach

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:13 pm
Minor Diety

Fair point on the crazy guy. I just didnt know the house was being constantly monitored. Now was that in the book alone? Cos i seem to have sleeped over that bit.

As for the sadistic carnage that Satis is talking about, thats kind of what you see. You first see stupid civilians getting killed like cattle and then you see stupid tanks, infantry etc charging and getting raped by those aliens.

Btw, just seen Aliens 3 since ages. Damn, now THATS a good film. That Dr.Clemence guy is a pimp.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:53 pm
Felix Rex

lol, that's funny, Aliens3 is probably my least favorite. I really dig Aliens(2). I also like 4, but I'm a sucker for Winona Ryder (purrrrrr).

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Dunno if this got posted yet, but the Doom trailer is out:

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/49 ... 83841.html

Brainless entertainment anybody? :wink:

~King of Thieves~

Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next