It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Possible Terrorist Attacks 
Minor Diety

Post Possible Terrorist Attacks
http://news.bbc.co.uk/

I got to work just before 9 this morning, put the radio on, and about 15 minutes later hear about this. Every half hour there were updates on the radio, and from 12 - 1.30 this afternoon has been coverage on the BBC.

Just watched some guy who was on one of the trains that had an explosion. Poor guy was almost in tears. Seems there were 7 explosions in total, one on a bus, 6 at underground stations. Trains collided in teh confusion, all phone networks were switched off in case of remote detonation of further bombs and the whole of central London is closed off, filled with emergency vehicles. Blair is coming straight back down from the G8 summit.

2 fatalities confirmed, possibly as many as 20. Of course, Al-Queda is suspected. Took them two hours to admit it was most likely terrorist. First couple of updates on the radio they were insisting that "the 7 explosions were probably electrical faults"... sure, electrical faults across 6 different stations AND a bus.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:09 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

yea, heard about that when I first woke up. Shitty news. Hope everything turns out ok for you guys across the pond.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:37 am
Profile WWW
King

I read that on the news this morning. Terrible news. Welcome to the "Attacked by terrorist" club.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:40 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

ugh dont start that one 11b lol, some guys tried it on guildwarsguru and got angry posts back because this isn't the first time we've been attacked you know ;) its not just the us that knows what its like, although this is apparently the worst that London has ever suffered. Then again that forum is full of morons and a topic that was originally about sending condolences and sympathies turned into a "england is right, us is wrong/us is right england is wrong" argument.

Right now its confirmed that more than 33 are dead. 208 have been treated. 7 explosions plus one controlled detonation. Seems its pretty much back to normal, in that most mainline trains are now operating and buses are... well theres very few services, but some are there now. And people are back out and about on the streets on foot. Apparently its all being handled fairly well but of course the Underground is pretty much ripped apart and wont be open for a while yet. Traces of explosives found at 2 of the underground stations as well.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:31 am
Profile WWW
King

Englands been attacked by Al-Queda before?

Bush's awesome response.

Quote:
On the one hand, we have people here who are working to alleviate poverty, to help rid the world of the pandemic of AIDS, working on ways to have a clean environment. And on the other hand, you've got people killing innocent people. And the contrast couldn't be clearer between the intentions and the hearts of those of us who care deeply about human rights and human liberty, and those who kill -- those who have got such evil in their heart that they will take the lives of innocent folks.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3565722

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:05 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

not Al-Queda but we've been suffering IRA bombings for as long as I can remember... though they've been pretty quiet recently.

Yeah I saw Bush making that speech and obviously saw Blairs speech too. Blair seems pretty shaken by it.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

not al-queda, but the IRA. One instance involving my dad, he was working on a motorway bridge, when they found three tupperware style lunch boxes sellotaped to the support beams.

Call the police, cancelled all mobile comunications, the police the removed the devices and controlled explosions procceeded, the attack was confirmed as an IRA attack (though, by whom it was confirmed, i do not know)

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

*sigh* it was about time i became a conscript.

No seriously though, This is pretty bad shit for the UK. At first there were only 3 main possibilities for who could have done this; 1) IRA - Extremely unlikely because of the major progresses being made in this conflict. 2) Anarchists - These guys couldnt organise a piss-up in a brewery, so no there. 3) Duh, Al-Quaeda.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:30 am
Minor Diety

Sucks heavily about the bombs in London. :/ :evil:

- Coach

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:31 am
Minor Diety

I'm afaid it's something we're going to see more of this in Europe the coming years, maybe even decades. There are so many angry Muslims in Europe and it's very easy to get in the EU. There's hardly anything you can do against suicide bombers either.
I really hope this won't happen during the Olympics, but I think this happening a day after the anouncement London is going to host the Olympics isn't a coincidence.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:19 am
Minor Diety

I think it's got more to do with the opening of the G8 than with the Olympics, but sure, you can't stop stuff like this. Not here, not in the US, nowhere. After all, all you need is a bomb and/or someone willing to blow himself to pieces.

We'll be seeing it a lot more all over the world, and it sucks. For now I just try to stay in my village where nothing's worth bombing. :)

- Coach

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:31 am
Minor Diety

Well, the election of the Olympics was about terrorism a lot, and this sends a strong message of: "wherever you organise this, we can get you". It's very bad for London's image as host.
But whatever they do, the chance that you die by a terrorist attack is still smaller then dying in a car accident, so I'm not going to change my ways.
Come and get me motherfuckers!

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:28 am
Minor Diety

Listening to that Twarres song...

Ik sjoch dy
Ik hear dy
Ik fiel dy, eltse kear opnij
Ik sjoch dy
Ik hear dy
Ik fiel dy, eltse kear opnij

- Coach

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:53 am