It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 5:38 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
game development feedback wanted 
Duke

Post game development feedback wanted
I have been writing a war game, and wanted to extend in invitation to the forum members to help. In particular I am looking for feedback and suggestions on game play concepts. I want to hear different ideas about aspects of game play, and you guys are the sort of audience this game is intended for. Below is a little background on the game. If you are interested, please send Satis an email or PM to add you to the WAR forum. I want to keep the discussion out of the public eyes in case any guests come by, but any current forum members are welcome.

The game is essentially a sci-fi MMO RTS in a persistant world. In a vague sense it is like KoC or Utopia, but on a much more complex scale. You will have resources, etc, but you will actually be in command of every unit. Instead of clicking a button to send 50 units to go attack someone, you will actually have control over the units, send them into combat, coordinate with your team mates, tell them which targets to attack, etc, all on an actual map with interraction and combat calcuated in 3 dimensions. There will be about a 10 different faction/army types, with each faction having ~50 different squads and ~100 upgrades (only certain upgrades are avialable to each squad). Every unit will be highly customizable, have it's own health, etc. There's a lot more, but that's a good start. Like I said, if you are interested, please let Satis know.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Minor Diety

Well, as you mention KoC (Kings of Chaos?) I'm assuming it's web-based, what I'd like to know is how much power you have to toy around with, for instants, what are the best things you'd be able to pull off? etc.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Sounds very cool. And thinking about game concepts is a fun thing to do. I think I'll indeed send Satis a pm about this. :wink:

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:29 pm
Minor Diety

It sounds mighty complicated for a web-based game, if that's what you're aiming for.

Did you check my 'Last Knights' topic? If it's something like that, i'd be happy to give you feedback, i might give you some pointers about things that went wrong there etc. But be sure to check it out, since it sure sounds like something you're aiming for (although yours is in a scifi setting and much more complex).

~King of Thieves~

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:41 pm
Minor Diety

Crap, like a spaz-monkey, I pm'd pig instead of satis.

Rock Band [35%]

Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Duke

It will be sort of web based. It will be hosted on a web server, and there will be a web GUI, but there will also be a local application that can interract with the server as well. The desktop version will probably be the preferred client, though the input/output of the game is all XML based so a GUI could be written in pretty much any language.

As for power, it will be running on a dedicated server. Everything will be occuring in real time. It won't be turn based. You can do a certain amount of activites (attacking, moving, terraforming, etc) every X hours. You can set waypoints for your units to travel to, launch huge assaults, have stealth units with infiltration type abilities. There's very little that I won't be able to do with the game.

J, yes and no. Think Warcraft III in a persistant world with greater control over your units and objectives based around a larger time frame.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Minor Diety

Hmm, this real time business, what will be the "i'm offline" procedure? Will people be able to attack me whilst I'm offline?

Rock Band [35%]

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Duke

I'd like to keep any further conversation in the war forum.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Minor Diety

War forum? where, how? I suppose I'll just pm Satis...sounds like Alpha Centauri online, tbh. Especially with the customizable units and the terraforming.

- Coach

Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:16 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]