It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Top 10 Film Directors 
Knight

Post Top 10 Film Directors
I got this email from my friend and i wanted to see what you guys think. I didn't even know half the people on this list. But then i'm not a big movie buff lol and sorry if you've already talked about this

Well – here's the list of the top film directors of all time from Britain's Empire movie magazine. I think I can agree with this list. While my three favorite directors aren't on it – I'll get over it. Anyhoo, check out the list and see if you agree with it.

1. Steven Spielberg
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Martin Scorsese
4. Stanley Kubrick
5. Sir Ridley Scott
6. Akira Kurosawa
7. Peter Jackson
8. Quentin Tarantino
9. Orson Welles
10. Woody Allen

My three favorite directors are George Lucas (for changing the way we looked at movies — that may sound cliché but it's true), George Ramero (for single handedly creating my favorite film genre – Zombies!) and Kevin Smith (for proving that substance will always win over style). Of course I like these guys more for their contributions to the industry and not for their direction capabilities specifically, but I digress.

Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Profile YIM
Minor Diety

As for my fav directors....i'm not too big on the director part, tbh. Same with actors....i'm more of a movie-whole-package kind of guy.

I rarely understood why people are raving about Spielberg all the time, btw. I can't say I enjoyed many of his films. Well, ok, I did enjoy them, but I rarely found the directing extraordinary.

But anyway, in no particular order: Cronenberg, Scott, Singer, Kubrick, Tarantino (tho I didn't like Kill Bill), Linklater, Scorcese, De Palma, Poelvoorde. See, nothing extraordinary or obscure, with the possible exception of Poelvoorde. I don't know too much about movies.

- Coach

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:06 pm
Felix Rex

Quentin Tarantino
George Lucas
Steven Spielberg

probably the biggest 4 as far as I'm concerned. I hate Woody Allen. I'm not surprised Spielberg was on the list up top, but I'm quite surprised Tarantino and Kubrick made the cut. Not bad. Lucas is definetely missing.

As for the older-school ones....I don't know. Having not grown up in that time frame, I cant' really comment. I've certainly seen Alfred Hitchcock movies, but they're boring to me...different generation (twice/thrice removed).

Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

I agree Satis never been a big hitchcock fan nor orson welles. Im suprized i only knew a few of the names on the list. But if i had to choose my favs hehe it would be joss whedon (sorry i love buffy but i guess tv don't count) and george and kevin hehe

Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:19 pm
Profile YIM
Minor Diety

I almost never pay attention to the director of a movie. I'm not going to see a movie because "It's a Spielberg movie" (although I think Spielberg is a very good director). I don't know why Peter Jackson is on that list, he has only made one great movie so far.

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:57 pm
Minor Diety

Did Lucas make anything besides the Star Wars movies btw? No clue...

- Coach

Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:43 pm
Felix Rex

Indiana Jones (all of em)
THX 1138
American Grafiti

Those are the big ones.

And Stephie, Joss Whedon is a director. He directed Firefly (tv series) and a movie based around Firefly that's coming out soon, Serenity

He's also directing Wonder Woman. :) Besides that, he wrote for Aliens 4 (alien resurrection), Toy Story and did the screenplay for Titan AE.

Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol, typical, I forgot completely about the Indiana Jones movies...but thanks. :) The other two movies mentioned are less known to me.

- Coach

Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:00 am
Minor Diety

you never seen Brain Dead? Peter Jackson made that... and you have to love it, its a classic "look at the crappy editing/graphics on these zombies... oh the horror" hehe.

Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Kubrick is definately in the top 10 for me.

Btw, what is the list based on?

Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]