13 conundrums of modern science. 
Felix Rex

Post 13 conundrums of modern science.
I found this interesting.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/spa ... 524911.600

Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Gave it a glance, figured to my self, maybe our existance is just to miniscule (or the existance of everything else is to large) for us to comprehened it any hoo.

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:00 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

well, that's rather defeatist and anti advancement. Back to your cave, you! Back I say! *pokes Mole with firebrand

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Sounds interesting, ill give it a read later.

Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:55 am
Minor Diety

arg! it burns! But no really, at least within our given lifetime as a specie, we'll probably never understand _everything_ maybe when we evolve.

I reckon we'll have to types of humanoid specie in the future.

People like us, (or like me) that will have smaller to no legs, but better eyesight, hand eye co-ordination and thinking (I feel this will be the dominant specie)

People that are the otherway around, not very disimular to what already exists under the name athlete, except better build.

Rock Band [35%]

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

wait... you class YOU in the intelligent side of the human species that will exist? I think we need a third race... the dumb fat ones :P

*cowers from moles wrath*

Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

And I'm not saying I'm intelligent, but chances are that if I had children, they'd like to use computers too. And so one. We can get most stuff delivered to our door, so we wouldn't really even need to move that much.

Rock Band [35%]

Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

lol. Don't get your hopes up, evolution has a tendency to work damn slow. :P Besides, the strong usually pwn the smart in terms of dominance, history teaches us. Society as we know it is somewhat of a pact between the strong and the weak: I'm not allowed to dominate 5-foot short guys physically speaking, but I won't get dominated by 7-foot ones myself either. In theory all that, anyway. And don't mind me, that's just my utilitarian side speaking. :roll:

Erh, back on topic. Interesting stuff, very cool. I'm not a scientist by any definition (except maybe that I'm intelligent and don't get laid often), but I personally found the placebo-effect, the cold fusion and tetraneutrons the most interesting stuff. The former because of it's general implications (because if you can imagine yourself being better/worse, you can also imagine seeing God to give but one example), the latter two because they are potential hurdles for traditional physics theories. cfr. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.

- Coach

Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:14 am
Minor Diety

I gave it a look and most of that stuff im not entirely familiar with.

As with your comment Mole on our existence, i more or less agree with it. Our world is such a magnificently insignificant spec when compared to the unimaginable vastness of the cosmos.

Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:54 pm
Minor Diety

lol. Don't get your hopes up, evolution has a tendency to work damn slow. :P Besides, the strong usually pwn the smart in terms of dominance, history teaches us. Society as we know it is somewhat of a pact between the strong and the weak: I'm not allowed to dominate 5-foot short guys physically speaking, but I won't get dominated by 7-foot ones myself either. In theory all that, anyway. And don't mind me, that's just my utilitarian side speaking. :roll:

Yeah, this has been proven mostly in animals though, and us dumb humans fucked off our animal instincts a long time ago. (well, most of them)

wait... *dies of shock* derf, you agreed with me? lol

Rock Band [35%]

Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Yeh well, thats about all we agree on. That and the fact that i can kick the seven shades of shit out of you. :D :D :D :D

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:41 am
Minor Diety

Just bring it. I think my record of shades of shit is somewhere in the 5000 region.

Rock Band [35%]

Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:17 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

well, that's rather defeatist and anti advancement. Back to your cave, you! Back I say! *pokes Mole with firebrand

I was wondering Satis, what's your take on space exploration as it is now?

Because I personally think it's crap, and that the time, brains and money could be spent in a better way on more useful things. But I'm not anti-advancement either. I just don't think space exploration is advancement atm, and other things are more crucial. (finding an alternative energy source for one)

@ Mole: you would be surprised how much animal instinct we have left, hehe. But that doesn't mean we can't think of glorious new things. Cfr. Pig's sig about Satis' wish for cool new weapons: an animal instinct (killing) combined with our smarts and evolution (super-advanced weaponry). It's no surprise that many of humanity's crucial inventions happened because of military purposes at first.

- Coach

Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:17 am
Felix Rex

all the greateset advancements in science are a result of war.

nuclear weapons (and power)
antibiotics
M&Ms

all results of WII.

But anyway....in response to Ox's question, I believe that the exploration of space is the greatest endeavour man can pursue. Though it's important we look at our own planet and try to fix the shit we've broken, I think the exploration of space is more important. Especially with the continueing spectre of man wiping itself out of existence, I believe that mankind spreading itself to the stars (or at least other planets) is of utmost importance.

Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Mm, so we disagree then. Well, not completely. I do agree that it has some long term purpose, I just think that the investments in it atm are out of proportion in a world where a freaking lot is going wrong. Bleh, what you said with a different perspective basically.

- Coach

Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next