It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Random bouts of craziness 
Emperor

Location: Under my wife AND son's thumbs.. in essex! chavs! everywhere!!
pfftt..nothing good ever came out of that woman..

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:40 am
King

J wrote:
That's why people have religion prolly, to avoid thinking about such things.

But I have religion and I question my existance. A happy medium :)

ElevenBravo The Great wrote:
#2 Higher Human or spirtitualness. That would be for me ( I know I dont speak for anyone else on this forum) to love and serve the lord my God.

If you are on about the Christian God, why I assume you are, then I can say that I believe in Him, so technichally you are speaking for me aswell, Except I agree that you are not speaking for me, because I do not conicder my self, a Higher Human. That's just rude and wrong. The only people in this world I am better than, or Higher than, are people who are evil at heart. I don't care if you are smarter, nicer or more liked than me, or even a combination of the above, you are no better than me, or any one else here (except maybe ox ;) ) and to put your self above others like that is not something that God would aprove of.

You took what I said out of context. Im talking about the human body in general. Im not saying I am a higher human or Im better than anyone else. Im talking about, the human body has to meet certain needs. The lower end or basic needs are human needs, the upper end would be spiritual needs.

If any of you have taken Psychology you know Im talking about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

http://www.deepermind.com/20maslow.htm

The purpose in life is too fullfill those needs. and ultimatly reach the top which is spiritualty. Once you reach the top then your life has been fullfilled and lived in full.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:43 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

lol, Maslows hierarchy of needs is also used in Business.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:59 am
Minor Diety

Ah, well I haven't taken Psychology, so I wouldn't know, but I hope you understand where I got my angle from.

So that's what they based The Sims on!

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:12 am
Profile WWW
Felix Rex

psychology is so arbitrary. It's like the study of literature...as long as you have a theory and can argue a point, you can't be wrong.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:45 am
Felix Rex

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:51 am
King

psychology is so arbitrary. It's like the study of literature...as long as you have a theory and can argue a point, you can't be wrong.

I think your wrong.

Example:

Your in the woods, your lost, your wet, tired and you havent eaten in 3 days. Whats your first and most important need? Ill give you a hint, its not what you and your friends are going to do on saturday night. Its your body, to find food, shelter, and get dry and some sleep.

And your needs pyrmid cant be met if, your in the woods lost, hungry and tired. So your pyrimd statis fits inside the social and ego part of maslows pyramid.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:17 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Can you describe the levels to us? (except body, which you just have). I did study this years ago, but its gone from my vast brain.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:33 am
Minor Diety

Rock Band [35%]
http://www.cafepress.com/SmeepProducts

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:19 am
Profile WWW
King

Body (Physiological) Needs such as air, warmth, food , sleep, stimulation and activity. The Body needs are biological. These needs can be very strong because if deprived over time, the person will die.

Security (Safety) Needs such as living in a safe area away from threats. This level is more likely to be found in children as they have a greater need to feel safe

Social (Love and Belongingness) Needs such as the love of family and friends

Ego (Self esteem) Needs such as healthy pride The Ego needs focus on our need for self-respect, and respect from others.

Quote:
Here another place I found an explanation
http://web.utk.edu/~gwynne/maslow.HTM

Physiological Needs

Physiological needs are the very basic needs such as air, water, food, sleep, sex, etc. When these are not satisfied we may feel sickness, irritation, pain, discomfort, etc. These feelings motivate us to alleviate them as soon as possible to establish homeostasis. Once they are alleviated, we may think about other things.

Safety Needs

Safety needs have to do with establishing stability and consistency in a chaotic world. These needs are mostly psychological in nature. We need the security of a home and family. However, if a family is dysfunction, i.e., an abusive husband, the wife cannot move to the next level because she is constantly concerned for her safety. Love and belongingness have to wait until she is no longer cringing in fear. Many in our society cry out for law and order because they do not feel safe enough to go for a walk in their neighborhood. Many people, particularly those in the inner cities, unfortunately, are stuck at this level. In addition, safety needs sometimes motivate people to be religious. Religions comfort us with the promise of a safe secure place after we die and leave the insecurity of this world.

Love Needs

Love and belongingness are next on the ladder. Humans have a desire to belong to groups: clubs, work groups, religious groups, family, gangs, etc. We need to feel loved (non-sexual) by others, to be accepted by others. Performers appreciate applause. We need to be needed. Beer commercials, in addition to playing on sex, also often show how beer makes for camaraderie. When was the last time you saw a beer commercial with someone drinking beer alone?

Esteem Needs

There are two types of esteem needs. First is self-esteem which results from competence or mastery of a task. Second, there's the attention and recognition that comes from others. This is similar to the belongingness level, however, wanting admiration has to do with the need for power. People who have all of their lower needs satisfied, often drive very expensive cars because doing so raises their level of esteem. "Hey, look what I can afford-peon!"

Self-Actualization

The need for self-actualization is "the desire to become more and more what one is, to become everything that one is capable of becoming." People who have everything can maximize their potential. They can seek knowledge, peace, esthetic experiences, self-fulfillment, oneness with God, etc. It is usually middle-class to upper-class students who take up environmental causes, join the Peace Corps, go off to a monastery, etc.

Yet another

Quote:

1) Physiological: hunger, thirst, bodily comforts, etc.;

2) Safety/security: out of danger;

3) Belonginess and Love: affiliate with others, be accepted; and

4) Esteem: to achieve, be competent, gain approval and recognition.

5) Cognitive: to know, to understand, and explore;

6) Aesthetic: symmetry, order, and beauty;

7) Self-actualization: to find self-fulfillment and realize one's potential; and

8) Self-transcendence: to connect to something beyond the ego or to help others find self-fulfillment and realize their potential.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:46 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

well, anyway, to each their own. I disagree that this pyramid of personal happiness is the way things are. There are plenty of instances where those importances flip-flop positions. There are also different ways of saying it, and different orders it could be put in.

If body was really the basis for humanity, how come you have people going hungry to feed their families? In that case, belongingness and love is the bottom tier. Still, some people eschew worldy comforts in exchance for otherwordly trancendence (ghandi?)...so, trancendence is the bottom of the pyramid.

It's certainly a nice idea, and might be a relatively accurate estimation of humanity, but it's no more fact or truth than anything else in psychology. And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:12 am
Profile WWW
King

mothers and father who go hungry to feed their family are not in the bottom tier. Since they love their children so much, they are in the upper tier and forgo their lower needs to meet the lower needs of their children who havent reach that same tier yet. Ghandi is the same way. Once you reach a trancendence you are in control of your body's needs. For ghandi, scratch ghandi he was an overrated asshole anyway. How about the dali lama. The dali lama can forgo worldy comforts because hes at the top of the pyrimd. Fasting for example. fasting from food is something religous people do to get closer in touch with God.Tthey can surpress their bodly need for hunger. If you can control your own hunger then you are in charge of your body, not your body in charge of you. But you would only be able to do that if you where high on the pyramid. If trandencence was truely on the bottom then everyone would be skinny and healthly because they would be in control of their eating. And thats not the case. More people are overweight if anything.

For example, Catholics during lent abstain from eating meat on Fridays during lent. Fish is ok but not red meat. And your supposed to fast on those days. You might not think it but going a day without eating red meat or chicken is harder than you think( unless your a vegitarian.) It all part of trying to get closer in touch with God. Also during lent you supposed to give up something you love like, beer, or smoking or choclate. Again, all part of trying to take control of your lower needs to enhance you higher needs.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:48 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

but you're missing the point of a pyramid. You're supposed to have filled the bottom portions of hte pyramid before you can reach the upper ones. That's the point of the pyramid, that the bottom stuff must be filled before upper things can be reached. But we could argue about the point of pyramids and all-seeing eyes until we're blue in the face. Instead;

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next