Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
President Bush Named Time's Person of 2004 
King

Post President Bush Named Time's Person of 2004
He deserves it!

Link

Quote:
By SAM DOLNICK, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - After winning re-election and "reshaping the rules of politics to fit his 10-gallon-hat leadership style," President George Bush (news - web sites) for the second time was chosen as Time magazine's Person of the Year.

The magazine's editors tapped Bush "for sharpening the debate until the choices bled, for reframing reality to match his design, for gambling his fortunes — and ours — on his faith in the power of leadership."

Time's 2004 Person of the Year package, on newsstands Monday, includes an Oval Office interview with Bush, an interview with his father, former President George H. W. Bush, and a profile of Bush's chief political adviser, Karl Rove.

In an interview with the magazine, Bush attributed his victory over Democratic candidate John Kerry (news - web sites) to his foreign policy and the wars he began in Afghanistan (news - web sites) and Iraq (news - web sites).

"The election was about the use of American influence," Bush said.

After a grueling campaign, Bush remains a polarizing figure in America and around the world, and that's part of the reason he earned the magazine's honor, said Managing Editor Jim Kelly.

"Many, many Americans deeply wish he had not won," Kelly said in a telephone interview. "And yet he did."

In the Time article, Bush said he relishes that some people dislike him.

"I think the natural instinct for most people in the political world is that they want people to like them," Bush said. "On the other hand, I think sometimes I take kind of a delight in who the critics are."

Bush joins six other presidents who have twice won the magazine's top honor: Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower (first as a general), Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) and Bill Clinton (news - web sites). Franklin Roosevelt holds the record with three nods from the editors.

Kelly said Bush has changed dramatically since he was named Person of the Year in 2000 after the Supreme Court awarded him the presidency.

"He is not the same man," Kelly said. "He's a much more resolute man. He is personally as charming as ever but I think the kind of face he's shown to the American public is one of much, much greater determination."

The magazine gives the honor to the person who had the greatest impact, good or bad, over the year.

Kelly said other candidates included Michael Moore and Mel Gibson, "because in different ways their movies tapped in to deep cultural streams," and political strategist Rove, who is widely credited with engineering Bush's win. Kelly said choosing Rove alone would have taken away from the credit he said Bush deserves.

This is the first time an individual has won the award since 2001, when then-New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani was celebrated for his response to the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

The American soldier earned the honor last year; in 2002, the magazine tapped Coleen Rowley, the FBI (news - web sites) agent who wrote a critical memo on FBI intelligence failures, and Cynthia Cooper and Sherron Watkins, who blew the whistle on scandals at Enron and Worldcom.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:59 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Post Re: President Bush Named Time's Person of 2004
ElevenBravo The Great wrote:
The magazine gives the honor to the person who had the greatest impact, good or bad, over the year.

I can't argue with that.

~King of Thieves~

Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:07 pm
Minor Diety

Heh, that line explains a lot. Seems like Bush did a good job mixing presidency itself with less fantastic performances. :) And lol@

"The election was about the use of American influence," Bush said

I think that's exactly what didn't happen, more like the use of the American army. :roll: Which might amount to the same in the end anyway, but bleh.

- Coach

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:52 pm
King

Post Re: President Bush Named Time's Person of 2004
J wrote:
ElevenBravo The Great wrote:

I can't argue with that.

Me neither, it was both. He had a good impact with Americans and a bad impact on terrorist.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:43 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Knight

Hitler was Time person of the year once. So was Ayatollah Khomeini.

Just. Couldn't. Resist.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:13 pm
Minor Diety

Clinton also, twice, once with the Lewinsky affair.

~King of Thieves~

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:13 am
Some people might also say that the election may have been won due to the terror threats hanging over them.

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:19 am
King

I think drugs have done some really good things. If you don't believe me, go home tonight, take all your cassettes, CDs, etc and burn them. Because those artists that have made that music were real fucking high- Bill Hicks

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]