It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
... and thats the end of that chapter 
Felix Rex

lol...reindeer meat is gamey and chewy. Leathery. Lol. Still sounds good. I'd eat some reindeer. Then again, I'd probably eat a horse, too. lol. Shiny would freak out if you ate a horse steak in front of her. :p

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Actually its not a steak. The meat has to be shreaded into small pieces and then cooked becuase the meat if left in a larger chunk is so how to say chewy or something, similiar to rubber, unedible.

Thats the same thing thats done to Horse meat.

Tastes damn good.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:08 am
Minor Diety

What's wrong with eating horse (steak or meat, whatever). I like it.

Btw i've seen on tv how you're supposed to make a good steak, like you should only turn your steak once. Interesting. I like cooking btw, not as much as i like eating, but it goes well together.

Oh yeah: good job Suga, try not to step in Ox and mine footsteps. :wink:

~King of Thieves~

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:20 am
Minor Diety

I like cooking also. Not all the times though. And although i can only cook simple things i like the creativity and pressure.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:40 am
Felix Rex

I can cook. :P And that's BS about turning it once. If you want a juicy steak, you need to sear it. Basically heat up whatever really hot, flop it down for 30 seconds so that side gets the outside cooked 'shut', then flip it and do the same to the other side. After that you reduce heat and just cook it. By searing it you trap the juices/flavor inside. If you just cook it on one side for half the cooking time, everything'll come out the top. :( Poor steak. Anyway, that's the way to make a juicy motherfucking steak. Goddamnit.

Kinda depends on how raw you like it, of course. I've made a steak where I seared both sides and then immediately served it. I mean, I like my steak mooing, but jeez.

If you're making a burger only turn it once.

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

The guy that said that (Piet Huysentruyt) has a cooking program, several restaurants, .. so i think i'll rather take his word for yours :P

The recipe in Dutch:

Steak bakken
Gebruik voldoende vetstof
Zet het vuur op 6
Laat de vetstof noisette worden (hazelnootbruin)
Kruid het vlees goed langs 1 kant
Leg het vlees in de pan en zet je het vuur op 8
Kruid aan de andere kant met peper en zout
Laat het 3 a 5 minuten goed bakken
Draai het 1 keer om, laat het vuur nog een minuut op 8 en verminder dan naar 6 afhankelijk van à point, saignant, bien cuit
Voel aan het vuistje van je hand en aan het vlees. Hoe malser het vlees wanneer je erop duwt, hoe bloediger de steak zal blijven.

Tips:
1. Geen anti-kleef pan
2. Het vuur verhogen van 8 naar 10
3. De boter moet lichtbruin zijn
4. De steak maar 1 keer omdraaien
5. Het truckje met de vuist

~King of Thieves~

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:22 pm
Minor Diety

5. Het truckje met de vuist

Say what? :o :roll: (note: translated "The trick with the fist"). Hehe...don't mind me.

I can't cook shit, generally speaking. I can make a few dishes and make 'em well, but don't ask me for anything remotely unusual. Bottom line: if you don't want food poisoning, don't eat food I make. :P

And lol@ previous two posts...you can call Satis anything you want, but don't say anything about steak he doesn't like! Texan influences, I say. Like not eating horses, total freaks. ;)

- Coach

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:43 pm
Stranger

Yeah, dont mess with Texas style, your lil belgian cook doesnt have a clue about texas steak i bet :D

And dont trust tv shows, they only tell half the truth. And besides dishes look good on tv but you'll never know how they taste.

Be well or Get Help!!

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:02 pm
Minor Diety

Maybe not about Texas steak, but we're broad-minded when it comes to deviant steaks...Belgian horsesteaks are the best. Horse is a lot better than cow steak, too. Much more tasty and juicier.

- Coach

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:12 pm
Minor Diety

Trick with the fist is to tell how 'done' your steak is already. Without cutting it open, or just guessing. Don't know exactly how it's done anymore, but you got to push the area between your thumb and pointing finger, and then push the meat to see if it's similar to stretching your thumb a bit/a lot/ .. .

Btw i just searched for 'preparing texas steak' in google, and the first articles i read (english-i assume they`re american sites) ALL mentioned turning the steak only ONCE. Heh.
Belgium 1 - Texas 0 ;)

~King of Thieves~

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:18 am
King

Texas knows steak. Any kind of dead animal that can be roasted over an open flame is our specialty.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:22 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Basically heat up whatever really hot, flop it down for 30 seconds so that side gets the outside cooked 'shut', then flip it and do the same to the other side.

Thanks, ill try that next time.

Don't you think Pork is better for burgers?

Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:25 am
Felix Rex

pork burgers? heheh...with how raw I make my burgers, I'd end up with food poisoning. :p

As for the searing debate, to each their own. All I know is my way yields some damn juicy steaks. :)

Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Anyway, it's important your temperature is high enough (to sear it as you say) that's for sure. But if you start searing one side and let it like that for a few minutes, you won't see much fluids pouring out. Trust me. And when you flip it again it will sear rapidly on the other side as well. So i don't see the necessity of turning it over and over again.
But yeah to each their own, just try my method if you want, it really works, i didn't do it that way either previously and now they're juicier than before (imo).

On the cooking thing: i'm really really terrible in making it into the right portions. When my gf and i make food, it always seems like we're expecting guests, we eat for 4 (normal) people you could say. Which might explain a bit why i'm not losing any weight.

~King of Thieves~

Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:09 am
Minor Diety

Hehe..I know how it is. When I'm eating at other ppl's places they usually look at me thinking "freak" after they finished 10 minutes ago and I'm going for another plate. :roll: But it's bettered with the years, I eat relatively normal amounts now.

ElevenBravo The Great wrote:
Texas knows steak. Any kind of dead animal that can be roasted over an open flame is our specialty.

I figured. :) Maybe Suga and the Oz brigade can keep on par tho. But I was wondering what your opinion is on eating horses 11b..seeing as you're a (I presume) pure-bred Texan. (as opposed to that immigrant scum that is Satis :P )

- Coach

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next