It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Veterans Day 
Felix Rex

1. If you redefine all the words in the language to mean whatever you want them to mean, rather than what they actually MEAN, you defeat the purpose of language. IE, this is a nonsensical argument.

2. Some people mature without the military. However, the military shoves maturity down your throat. You either grow up or you fail (or die). Personal responsibility is not an option like it is in most of the rest of the world.

3. Not everyone has the balls to protect something other than their own interests. In fact, most people never give a shit about anything but themselves.

4. You are, unknowingly or not, being very offensive toward veterans everywhere. And you're speaking from a position of complete ignorance. It's hard to find understanding when you start your posts with "why do you insist on posting bullshit". That doesn't exactly show much desire to "find understanding".

- Veteran of the Armed Forces

Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:16 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

1. In a way yes. However i am open to, 1) Opinion and 2) Reformation.

2. I agree with this.

3. I agree with this. Although i am not the latter.

4.1. If im offending "your veterans", sorry. I just have to say my opinion. And perhaps consider "my veterans". What to you suppose they think about being measured aside "your veterans" with this general "veterans" word?

4.2. I accused 11B on posting bullshit because he clearly had not considered my previous posts as part of the discussion.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:26 am
Felix Rex

4.1 - I think your veterans wouldn't be too offended, to be honest. I've had the pleasure to speak with/fraternize with veterans of foreign wars, and they're nothing but respectful of the current crop of soldiers, whether or not they've seen combat. But the military is an odd animal... once you've been in, anyone else that's been in becomes something of kin (like a distant cousin or something). There's no competition or anything.

4.2 - Being too lazy to review past posts, I won't contest this, though I can't recall seeing anything that I found BS from him. Bleh. Don't want to argue.

5 - My cojones stink

Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:51 am
Profile WWW
King

In my opinion, defying the dictionary, only seasoned servicemen should be called veterans.

And your opinion is wrong. Its like me saying "I believe the solar system revoles around Earth, even though science says it revoles around the sun".

Why defy the truth?

Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:59 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

I can't recall seeing anything that I found BS from him. Bleh. Don't want to argue.

Allow me to enlighten you. Read below.

derf wrote:
Bah, methinks your green asses arent veteran. In my opinion, defying the dictionary, only seasoned servicemen should be called veterans.

This was my first post. However, 11B soon replied with:

11B The Spunkmuffin :) wrote:

Merriam-Webster Dictonary wrote:

Main Entry: vet·er·an
Pronunciation: 've-t&-r&n, 've-tr&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin veteranus, from veteranus, adjective, old, of long experience, from veter-, vetus old -- more at WETHER
1 a : an old soldier of long service b : a former member of the armed forces
2 : a person of long experience in some occupation or skill (as politics or the arts)
- veteran adjective

Yea I dont see any mention of war. Thanks have a nice day.

Yours truely,

Veteran ElevenBravo

Thus concluding that his post was bullshit because he was trying to prove a redundant point (while being a cocky SOB about it). So i had to slap him for it.

11B wrote:
And your opinion is wrong. Its like me saying "I believe the solar system revoles around Earth, even though science says it revoles around the sun".

Why defy the truth?

Firstly, ones opinion shouldn't be considered "wrong" because it is merely an opinion. This is another of my opinions :).

Secondly, your example is highly out of proportion. For me, such a word isnt as important as the solar-system, so i make of it what i will. As you will also.

I understand that you prefer the traditional meaning of the word "veteran" and that you would like me to as well. I accept your opinion, but i prefer my definition better.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:22 am
King

So do you alway blatanly defy words out of the dictionary? I mean its kinda hard to argue against it. Your opinion verses Webster's dictionary.

I understand you prefer your own definition, but ...even though your wrong?

And yes opinion can be wrong. I can understand if you said "man its hot" and I said "no I think its cold". Thats an opinion. But to say the the definition in a dictionary is not right in your opinion is plane stupid.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:35 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

*sees visions of dead horses being flogged.

I'll let this thread run, but it's getting close to closing time. Last call everyone. heh

Anyway...I'll leave it for a couple more days, but if nothing interesting happens I think I'm gonna lock it and store it in the 'only look at if bored' cage I keep in the back.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

If interest drops this topic will sink anyway. I'm not too keen on closing threads, but you're the boss.:P

Closing time,
one last call for alcohol,
so finish your whiskey and beer... 8-)

Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:21 am
Minor Diety

Alrighty then, if we're talking about alcohol i'm a VETERAN !! Woohoo !! J joins the veteran thread !! WOOHOO !!

Which reminds me, i got to put some more beers cold.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:25 am
Minor Diety

So do you alway blatanly defy words out of the dictionary?

Not at all.

ElevenBravo The Great wrote:
I understand you prefer your own definition, but ...even though your wrong?

Wrong in the eyes of people who go by the book. (The dictionary).

ElevenBravo The Great wrote:
And yes opinion can be wrong. But to say the the definition in a dictionary is not right in your opinion is plane stupid.

Your reasoning is too narrow. Opinion can not be wrong unless admitted because one person is different to another. People see things differently. Its got to do with all that GoodVsEvil thing. Secondy, if us as humans must be restricted to petty things like dictionary definitions, then we are doomed. To move on in life we need to be free and adaptable.

If you expect to live and die by the things you are taught, do so. I however am a much more reflective person.

Satis wrote:
Last call everyone

Split the topic then, id hate to leave this discussion.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:09 pm
Felix Rex

bleh, no offense, but it's getting repetitive at this point. That's why I'm thinking of closing it, not for any other reason. If you guys come up with something new and interesting as far as this discussion is concerned, I'll leave it alone. But right now it's just going back and forth with very little change in content.

Anyway, it'll be a couple days before I kill it anyway. Feel free to do what you will.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
King

Its got to do with all that GoodVsEvil thing
Come again?

Websters dictionary(good, right, correct) vs Derf's opinion(evil, incorrect, dumb)

Since this is last call...

EAT AT JOES!

MILITARY VETERANS EAT FREE!!!

Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:24 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Okay then we need to call joe .. simple as that.

~King of Thieves~

Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:53 pm
Minor Diety

Im done. This all seems beyond 11B as he cant quite seem to keep up.

Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:25 am
King

Hey, Im not the one trying to prove a dictionary wrong.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:22 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next