It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Veterans Day 
Felix Rex

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

I'd define a Hero as "a person who has done a truly miraculous thing".

And I'd define a truly miraculous thing as "an act or continued acts of courage and cunning that results in a spectacular achievement for large scale".

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:16 am
Felix Rex

derf, until you've actually been in the military, i recommend you reserve your judgement for something you understand.

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Mmmm, im just saying what i think. I observe, think, learn and - when inclined to - express. Instead of rejecting my expression, you could try to confront its origin.

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:42 am
King

Ok derf, a house is on fire. Screams can be heard inside. A man runs in and saves 4 people from their death.

Hero or not?

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:34 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Yes, he risks his life to save other people.
How many people did you save getting a cold in Alaska?

Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:59 am
Felix Rex

How often have you knowingly put your life at risk for very little thanks and very little pay?

For 2 1/2 years of my life, I was at risk of unexpectedly losing my life to a bullet or a bomb. For 1 year of my life I was in Korea, with the very real potential of a brigade of crack North Korean troops landing on our beach and flooding our base with nerve gas. I was in full battle gear with a rifle awaiting what we all thought was the balloon going up. I was on deployment status for Saudi Arabia to go kick the shit out of Saddam Hussein for 6 motnhs. I was on call, 24 hours a day, with a 2-hour turnaround to be on a plane to Saudi with nothing but a rucksack, a big bag, and my launching station.

Nobody that has not been in a similar situation can understand this. You can try, but you cannot grasp the visceral reality of knowing that you have a very real chance of being dead very quickly.

Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
King

Im not saying I am a hero. Im not. But I did sacrifice 3 years of my life in order to train and fight to protect my country. The whole idea about the guy saving people in a burning house is "self sacrifice".

Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:20 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

So, what did we all learn from this topic: stay away from the army as well as you can, unless you need to sign up. (financially etc.) Hehe. :)

- Coach

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:26 pm
King

So, what did we all learn from this topic: stay away from the army as well as you can, unless you need to sign up. (financially etc.) Hehe. :)

lol yea. Thats what seperates the men from the boys!

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:23 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Minor Diety

Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:33 am
Minor Diety

Ok derf, a house is on fire. Screams can be heard inside. A man runs in and saves 4 people from their death.

Hero or not?

Hero.

derf wrote:
10yr+ servicemen with eroded trigger fingers and nerves of steel?

Veterans.

Satis wrote:
How often have you knowingly put your life at risk for very little thanks and very little pay?

For 2 1/2 years of my life, I was at risk of unexpectedly losing my life to a bullet or a bomb. For 1 year of my life I was in Korea, with the very real potential of a brigade of crack North Korean troops landing on our beach and flooding our base with nerve gas. I was in full battle gear with a rifle awaiting what we all thought was the balloon going up. I was on deployment status for Saudi Arabia to go kick the shit out of Saddam Hussein for 6 motnhs. I was on call, 24 hours a day, with a 2-hour turnaround to be on a plane to Saudi with nothing but a rucksack, a big bag, and my launching station.

Nobody that has not been in a similar situation can understand this. You can try, but you cannot grasp the visceral reality of knowing that you have a very real chance of being dead very quickly.

Blah blah. In my opinion youre still no veteran.

ElevenBravo The Great wrote:
Im not saying I am a hero. Im not. But I did sacrifice 3 years of my life in order to train and fight to protect my country. The whole idea about the guy saving people in a burning house is "self sacrifice".

Yes i know, and i agree. Whats your point?

ElevenBravo The Great wrote:
lol yea. Thats what seperates the men from the boys!

No, not at all. Becoming a real man is judged when you reach a certain mental maturity. And for that, you dont need to join hte armed forces.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:37 am
King

Well, Like I said, thats what seperates the men from the boys. You might not see it, because you're all still boys. That mental maturity is when you come to a point in your life where life isnt only about you and your needs. Its about the needs of others. Some people reach a point in their life where they are ready, willing, and able to give up their lives to protect their country. They do it, so those people who dont have the corage, mental attitude, or guts dont have to. They do it knowing that they are protecting the very people that hate them.

And once again I prove Satis and me are right, Derf you got served.

Merriam-Webster Dictonary wrote:
Main Entry: vet·er·an
Pronunciation: 've-t&-r&n, 've-tr&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin veteranus, from veteranus, adjective, old, of long experience, from veter-, vetus old -- more at WETHER
1 a : an old soldier of long service b : a former member of the armed forces
2 : a person of long experience in some occupation or skill (as politics or the arts)
- veteran adjective

Yea I dont see any mention of war. Thanks have a nice day.

Yours truely,

Veteran ElevenBravo

Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:56 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Felix Rex

Veteran Satis nods at Veteran 11b, then goes back to planning the invasion of the UK.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:05 am
Profile WWW
Minor Diety

Dear 11B, why do you insist on posting bullshit? Sit back and think before you type!

Firstly, i already said that my personal definition defies the dictionary!

Secondly, the point where one reaches mental maturity to become a man can be gained in means OTHER THAN THE FUCKING MILITARY.

Thirdly, you mentioned the need to protect the country. WTF? This doesnt measure maturity!

Fourthly, this isnt a fucking right/wrong argument. Its a discussion, you cant prove eachother wrong, just find understanding.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next